Canoe carry suggestions please!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Hi;

I have a Super Redhawk Alaskan .480R and also an SP101 4.2" .327 Fed Mag. Both are stainless with rubber grips.

I will be buying a kevlar touring canoe soon and I am exploring methods of carrying either of these guns "at the ready" while on the water. I have plenty of options for packing them away in a dry bag, but I want to be able to carry on my person sometimes. I would normally carry the SP101 with woods ammo, but if I am up at a hypothetical Brown Bear Lake I would probably switch to the big bore gun. I canoed last 35 years ago, so as a newly returned paddler I am not sure what kind of gear is currently available.

I have a Simply Rugged nylon chest holster for the SRH. I am unsure whether it would work or be comfortable while paddling, if strapped over or under a life jacket.

I have a couple of different Large Tommy's Gun Packs (fanny packs) which would work well for either gun, and they can be worn in front or back.

I have no holster at all for my new SP101, so I am wide open to suggestions here.

I think hip carry is out due to the need to swing the paddle, and maybe the fanny pack is out due to comfort issues while moving and twisting while wearing the life jacket.

Has anyone found a kayaking or fishing style life jacket that has a big enough front pouch for a large snubby revolver? maybe something like this, with expandable pockets?

7937487.jpg

I prefer to carry concealed but open carry is perfectly OK if that works out better.

Other than lubing well before, and cleaning and lubing well afterwards, should I have any concerns about water and these particular guns? They would not be exposed to salt water, other than sweat.

Talk to me please.....

BTW, I prefer to ask here rather than a paddling forum since most of those folks seem to be anti-2A... I will try them if I don't get a response here.

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

EDIT: For your reading pleasure; http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?621

mjh

Single-Sixer
Your PFD and your carry method should work in tandem or compliment each other. You might try a chest pack like Hill People Gear-kit bag with a life vest like you pictured over the top of the kit bag. HPG also has connectors you might be able to conned the kit bag to the PFD on the outside. A Simply Rugged Chesty Puller carry system would also be wearable underneath your PFD and it's always on you while you might take the PFD off while on land and around camp. Just a couple of ideas.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I've never noticed hip carry as a problem for paddling, my paddle stroke doesn't take either arm that close to my hip. But, it's not great having your piece wedged between your hip and the seat wall and fighting for real estate against the bottom of your PFD.

I tend to wear a chest rig inside my PFD with the top unzipped partially.

One thing to mention - if you're on the water with your piece, use a lanyard. Not many things in life make you feel as dumb as you do in that moment when your piece sinks out of sight beneath the surface, and even fewer things in life are as annoying to hunting partners than waiting around to watch you dive down over and over again searching for it.

A coated coiled-cable lanyard works very well once you get used to it.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
One thing to mention - if you're on the water with your piece, use a lanyard. Not many things in life make you feel as dumb as you do in that moment when your piece sinks out of sight beneath the surface, and even fewer things in life are as annoying to hunting partners than waiting around to watch you dive down over and over again searching for it.

A coated coiled-cable lanyard works very well once you get used to it.
Is there a clean way to attach a lanyard to either my SRH or the SP101? I really don't like the idea of hardware hanging below the butt.

Maybe I should consider a super strong retrieval magnet and 50 feet of line......

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnetics-07503-Retrieving-Magnetic/dp/B000I1TFCK

LOL. I don't even know if Ruger's stainless steel can stick to a magnet, does anyone know?

John Davies
Spokane WA

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I can't say I know of any way to mount a lanyard to an SP101 or SRH which isn't positioned on the butt, and dang sure nothing which wouldn't be a royal pain in the @ss (like making a custom mount which used the integral Ruger mount on your SRH, pulling the top to the side and blocking the sights).

I suppose a guy could thread a stud into the bottom of the barrel, forward bottom of the trigger guard, or bottom of the ejector rod shroud.

Ruger's are magnetic. If you're ok with running that risk. Guess it depends on how lucky you feel, how deep of water you're in, and the bottom topography. Personally, I'd rather run a lanyard and be sure I never needed a magnet to recover it in the first place.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
John E Davies said:
LOL. I don't even know if Ruger's stainless steel can stick to a magnet, does anyone know?
Yes, the stainless steel used for firearm manufacture is magnetic so your magnet idea can work. That said, it's a lot better to keep the gun attached to you rather than having to go fishing for it after a mishap. The lanyard always works, the magnet maybe yes, maybe no.

Edit: mounting a stud on the butt is by far the most straightforward and least damaging location. There is a reason police and military and handguns have the lanyard mounting point there. If your guns have Hogue grips, you could replace the bottom grip mounting bolt with a longer one and add an eyelet to it as a lanyard mount.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Well, I ordered two stainless swivel studs to replace the Hogue grip screws on both guns, for $8 shipped from Hogue(!), plus a self coiling Blackhawk lanyard from Amazon. The lanyard will thread through the stud eye without using a steel ring, so it is not very bulky. I guess that part of the problem is solved.

John Davies
Spokane WA

trapperon

Blackhawk
John

Although not brown bear country, when paddling the boundary waters canoe area along the Minnesota/canada border I always have a serviceable "beater" shotgun in my canoe. I figure you really shouldnt need a firearm while actually paddling on the water---more of a camp protection arm while in the tent or campsite. The one thing I will warn you about is to count on everything you bring along in the canoe will get wet at some point! Not necessarily from capsizing, but if you are out for a week or so you know rain will be encountered!

glad to hear of your upcoming canoe trip(s). Sounds like a great time!

Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
I was going to suggest a lanyard mount on the butt of the gun as the BEST method of keeping your firearm attached to you. It's been covered & taken care of.
Next, as a diver,,, lost guns are something I have found, but not always as easy as you'd think. Plus, the bottom of lakes & rivers are rarely flat & free of debris. Not magnet friendly.

Now as for carrying it. I'd think a PFD with a chest pocket like shown will give good protection & concealment from those folks who don't need to know you are carrying. Even though the gun is stainless, doesn't mean it won't rust. Use proper preventive care & post trip care to make sure the gun doesn't develop a nasty case of rust.
Leather holsters & water aren't the best mix. If a chest type holster is employed, I'd research nylon types. While not the most comfortable (as compared to quality leather ones,) it will suffice for the water environment.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Any way to attach M.O.L.L.E or A.L.I.C.E mounts inside, or outside for that matter, your PFD? Put me down as favoring a butt mounted lanyard ring too. Things that fall into the river seldom end up anywhere near where they went in. :wink:

I did a fair amount of that kind of stuff in Alaska when I was younger. I mostly used a shoulder holster and never lost a gun. Guides Choice is an upgrade from what I used at the time. http://www.cabelas.com/product/DIAMOND-D-LEATHER-GUIDES-CHOICE-LEATHER-HOLSTERS/2044480.uts#tabsCollection
Another good choice is http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1942820&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D2044480%26type%3Dproduct As you can tell both are available through Cabelas but with Diamond D I've always bought direct. Always use the strap and have them adjusted properly. You should be good. Not sure why you would take a 327 and a 480 but maybe I'm not reading it correctly. I have hip carried in a canoe as well and mostly used a Bianchi 5 BHL but these days I'd go with the Simply Rugged again with a strap. You have to hold the paddle out far enough the gun doesn't get in the way. Good luck, it's great fun. Use garbage bags for everything that needs to stay dry. I have gone in the water more than a couple of times. Make sure your partner pays attention.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Your PFD designed with large zip pockets will work well. I've used a 357 S&W MP 340 in salt water conditions in a zip pocket the last 5 yrs while kayaking. I carry it for alligators because they are just about everywhere on our coastline, rivers and delta. Mine has been soaked many times but cleans up nice. As a matter of fact I'm in the process of acquiring an Alaskan now. It will weigh 3times more in my vest pocket than the snubby I use now so I'll have to see if it effects my paddling.
If you decide to employ a lanyard as some have stated be sure to test how well it carries then draws out of the zip pocket. A lanyard attached outside of the pocket can be a nuisance but may not get wrapped around the trigger as easy as it could if it is stored in the pocket with the pistol.
With the movements we continually perform while paddling or fishing zippers may be opened by accident with a lanyard attached to the revolver. It something you'll have to work on and test a bit.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
Guides Choice is an upgrade from what I used at the time. http://www.cabelas.com/product/DIAMOND-D-LEATHER-GUIDES-CHOICE-LEATHER-HOLSTERS/2044480.uts#tabsCollection
Another good choice is http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1942820&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D2044480%26type%3Dproduct
I would not use anything leather due to sweat and submersion damage (I can wash nylon). The second one is just about identical to the one I have for my Alaskan, and I use it often. I got it from Simply Rugged back when they were still making them. I am just unsure how well I could use it in combination with a snug fitting pfd, while paddling and twisting. Is it best worn inside or out?

Bear Paw Jack said:
Not sure why you would take a 327 and a 480 but maybe I'm not reading it correctly.
Yah, it would be either/ or. If I were at low altitude on an Eastern WA lake it would be the .327. If I go up into the mountains where there be bears and LOTS of moose, I would take the .480.

One problem with paddling is that it can be so quiet the animals won't hear you coming, like the park ranger who got killed by a griz while mountain biking, a few months ago. I would not like to surprise a momma moose and her babies when coming around a blind bend.

Thanks for all the comments. It s a steep learning curve but I am getting a handle on things.

BTW I just bought a very nice used Wenonah Sundowner 17 Tuff-Weave with one straight shaft and two bent shaft paddles (that are the right length), plus a third seat. It was lightly used on flat water with minimal scratching and was always stored indoors. I paid $525. That price is OK for around here (canoes seem to be out of fashion now), but these seem to go for a _lot_ more in Minnesota or other "lake states". I will be picking it up this evening. Now I need to start getting all the other gear....

John Davies
Spokane WA

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Poco Oso said:
Any way to attach M.O.L.L.E or A.L.I.C.E mounts inside, or outside for that matter, your PFD?
There are a few expensive "rescue" or aircraft pilot pfds that have molle loops, like this one:

10047_450.jpg

Unfortunately they are not optimal for paddling. The one shown (discontinued) was a once size fits most, up to 52 inches, and it would be very bulky around the arm pits for me (38 inch chest). The bush pilot ones are way cool but many $$.

I guess you might be able to sew some loops on the outside of a regular one, but you would have to partially disassemble it to get the foam out first. I am not sure I would be brave enough for that...

John Davies
Spokane WA

Three50seven

Buckeye
A belt-style PFD like this one may solve some of your issues and allow you to wear a chest holster more comfortably:

https://www.amazon.com/Onyx-Manual-Inflatable-Jacket-Black/dp/B0032ALK72

My wife and I use a similar PFD and they are really convenient and out of the way until needed.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Stolquist makes lots of paddling pfd's with big sturdy pockets. I have used my SP-101 in mine while kayaking the boundry waters. Not sure your bigger revolver will fit though. Look for their fisherman oriented models, I think they have more and maybe bigger pockets.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
KISS

Simply Rugged Pancake for my 4" Redhawk carried strongside. It holds the gun up snug and is always at the ready. I can't imagine having a pistol hanging off a pfd or stuffed in a pocket on the pfd. Having it on the hip works for me and has for years. No fooling around with the pistol when taking pfd on and off or changing jackets, etc. Doesn't get in the way while wearing a fly vest and wading with hippers fishing. I don't care for chest rigs. Too much futzing around with straps, can't carry binos, etc. The only exception for me is the Wyoming Combination Holster with it's one big snap strap and it's not really a chest rig, more like a shoulder rig with the way the gun rides.

Just did a 4 day float trip this summer here in AK and the RH was on my hip or in my sleeping bag with me all the time.

I have no fear of leather in the outdoors. Leather and wood have been holding up to the elements for years.