Security Six Locked Up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Don't know if my question is best placed here or in the Gunsmithing section- but here goes. I have a nice Security Six Snubby that has locked up on me. It happened quite rapidly. The cylinder release button felt a "little funny" this morning like it was
not depressing fully. As I started to fiddle with it- dry firing a bit and trying to open and close the cylinder, I could not get it open. Next, the hammer and trigger will not function and the gun is totally locked up.

I guess sending back to Ruger is not an option since I believe they do not service the Sixes anymore. I am down in South Florida (West Palm). Although I do know 2 local gunsmiths in my area, frankly I am not sure they are experts in the old Ruger Six models.

Since I was preparing the revolver for sale, I am glad that this problem was discovered on my end instead of possibly selling a revolver that about to break down on the new owner. If anyone has suggestions as to how I should proceed to fix this problem, as always I will be in your debt.

Flatbush

hittman

Staff member
Our member RoninPA works on/restores at lot of these. I would reach out to him for advice. They're very, very simple to disassemble and reassemble ..... even I have done it once or twice. There's a number of others here too that are well versed on the Six Series ..... Ron was just the first to come to mind.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
The ONLY time I ever had a Six lock up was when I was running a qualification. The very thin, long screw that holds the thumb piece in from the bottom (and is staked in) came loose and did what you describe. If so, reinstall it with some blue loctite.

I have had no issues with my 23/4" or 4", but my 6" has had a similar issue. It seems the ejector rod is loose and backs off just a few turns and will lock it up tight. Both times it was a PITA and I should probably put a dab of thread lock on it, but somehow I just never have gotten a round to it. I just make sure to tighten it up ever couple of cylinders full.

Several things from what I've read here.

The cylinder release button should NOT be staked in, if it was someone other than Ruger did that. It is not very robust and if staked in and someone tries to remove it the staking job could strip the threads then you have to replace it and even possibly have to retap the threads that hold it in. I have never had to resort to using anything to hold that screw in place.

Flatbush, it sounds like the extractor rod might have become loose and locked up the cylinder. You may have to do a field strip of the gun to be able to get it out to check and tighten if necessary. Luckily, the Six series guns are extremely easy to field disassemble. If you don't have a manual (which will show you exactly how to do it) you can download one from the Ruger web site. Go to the customer service section to get it.

Again, I don't advocate using Loctite on the threads, unless the rod continually comes loose. Once tightened, it should not come loose. If it does, then something else is amiss in the extractor assembly. When you tighten it, put some tape or something that will protect the knurled end of the rod and tighten it up good. I actually have a special pair of Vise-Grips that are made for doing this job on revolvers, makes things real easy.

If it is not the extractor rod being loose, then you might want to check the cylinder release button to make sure that it is not protruding through the frame and into the cylinder which would lock it up. I really doubt this is happening because it should not protrude that much. It's made so that is just long enough to push in the spring loaded button at the rear of the cylinder to clear the frame allowing the cylinder to rotate out of the frame.

If for some reason you just can't get it going, let me know and you can send it to me and I'll fix it for nothing other than if I have to put any parts in it and return shipping.

Ron

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Thanks fellas! I realize that I will have to bring the revolver to one of the local smiths here. I will use your advice as a sort of guideline when I respectfully bring it to their shop. Admittedly, I am not mechanically inclined at all.

As always, the members of this site have always been there to graciously provide their knowledge and expertise to help me whenever I have needed them.

Thanks to all!

Flatbush