Ruger GP100 3" holster recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hinkruger

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a black Wiley Clapp 3" GP. Awesome gun but I'm thinking of picking up a holster for it. I have a 4" 686 and an inexpensive tagua holster for it that I really don't like. Digs into my side and just isn't comfortable.

I'm 6'2" 220, athletic and lean( ish) lol.... I'm getting old and would like to carry the gp from time to time but at least for the time being I live in CT and conceal carry is a must. Liberal idiots will call 911 if they see a gun under your shirt so I'm trying to minimize printing.

thank you

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Desantis holster for the 3" SW 686 and it fits my 3" GP 100 like a glove. I think it is the "01" thumb break style. I'm at work right now so I can't look. I took an empty plastic sandwich bag and put the gun in it, then in the holster to break it in. Gun rides high and close to the body. I'm very happy with it.

hinkruger

Single-Sixer
I've never carried a revolver before. A Sig 226 OWB, too big for conceal carry. A Ruger SR9c w/ a SuperTuc, awesome setup. A Sig P938 with an inexpensive iwb, very easy to conceal....

My 686 4" is bulky w/ a Tagua standard holster... digs into my side especially when I'm driving. It has a snap on it which isn't exactly conducive to a quick draw... so I don't know.

hittman

Staff member
To me the GP is too big for concealed carry. But ..... everybody's different.

My carry is usually the LCR in 38 Special or the LC9.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I carry my 3 inch 10mm GP100 in a Lobo Gun Leather IWB holster. I carry this gun every day and have no problem with comfort or concealability. If you have that huge Hogue grip on it that may stick out a little.
Here is a link to the holster: http://www.lobogunleathers.com/iwb_belt_loop_style
Here is a pic of the gun with the Altamont grips that make it much easier to conceal:

hinkruger

Single-Sixer
I really like that Lobo and my Wiley Clapp has the same grips as yours. I'm going to look around for another week but that is my favorite so far.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
Did you decide on a holster? I like the sights on the Wiley Clapp and wanted to use it for the conversion but the cylinder tapers at the front too much for boring out the chambers to 10mm.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Wright Leather Works. The holster is called a Predator, it's an OWB pancake, no thumbstrap but a raised piece of leather on the body side keeps the gun from ever touching the skin. Not cheap and there's a waiting period. It's the best holster I've ever owned (and I've got a bin full). I bought one initially for my Shield 9, liked it so well I ordered one for my SP101.

Oh, and they do make one for a GP100 3". Google it.

Dazzel's Owner

Bearcat
I've had great success with Privateer Lether. Wes Dahl, owner, has superb customer service and produces a quality product. His "Highwayman" OWB works for me, especially in my IDPA matches.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Give Earl Southard at Trailmaster Holsters a call. He makes everything custom and by hand. He has dozens of existing designs on his facebook page, and could make you pretty much anything you're looking for, no matter how particular. Really fast turnaround time, too.

He made me this custom left-handed holster that houses my .41 mag redhawk:
image.jpg

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
TT Gun Leather has what you want, good retention, mouth is steel reinforced for ease of reholstering, and it comes in a convertible IWB or OWB, $125.00 about 6 weeks.