Trigger jammed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shootwice

Bearcat
I have a 44 SRH that I was quick firing and the trigger got jammed. There are 2 distinct clicks when the trigger travels back and if I only release to the first one, it will not pull. I'm thinking about carrying it on Kodiak Island in the fall as a back up gun but not if I can't figure this out. Perhaps a stronger trigger reset spring? Thanks.

That second click is the sound of the trigger plunger returning to the top side of the cylinder latch, if the trigger is not returned fully the plunger will be on the underside of the latch and will not be in position to release the cylinder latch, which allows the cylinder to rotate, thus, lockup will occur.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is called short-stroking the trigger. If the trigger does not reset it will jam the gun. Muscle memory and practice is your best friend. Normally Ruger guns have a very strong trigger return spring. Perhaps your spring has been replaced with a lighter one. If you would like to adjust it I would suggest getting a spring pack with a couple different trigger return springs. They are easy to change. :D

s4s4u

Hunter
quick firing

The 2nd, and subsequent shots are not nearly as critical as the 1st.

You must allow the trigger to reset for the gun to function properly. A bit of practice should alleviate your problem. If you need a stronger reset spring then by all means install one. They are innexpensive.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As noted above, it does sound as if you may be "short stroking" the trigger. You have to allow the trigger to return fully forward after firing to get a proper reset.

Shootwice

Bearcat
I have a stronger trigger spring ordered and will practice with Snap Caps. I figure if I'm going to carry my SRH in bear country, I may as well practice shooting fast. THanks for all the input.

s4s4u

Hunter
I figure if I'm going to carry my SRH in bear country, I may as well practice shooting fast.

If you read some actual accounts of bear encounters you will find that many did not even have time to get off a first shot, much less a second or third. I would concentrate more on my presentation from leather, as well as the ready position, to get a single shot on target rather than how fast I could empty my gun. Once adept at that, then graduate to double taps, etc. One must learn to walk before he can run. JMHO

hittman

Staff member
s4s4u said:
I would concentrate more on my presentation from leather, as well as the ready position, to get a single shot on target rather than how fast I could empty my gun.

^ ^ This ^ ^

Shot placement is king.

Shootwice

Bearcat
hittman said:
s4s4u said:
I would concentrate more on my presentation from leather, as well as the ready position, to get a single shot on target rather than how fast I could empty my gun.

^ ^ This ^ ^

Shot placement is king.

I agree 100%. I do want to practice with my SRH like I do my EDC. I don't want to train to shoot once and pause to look at the target.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
A stronger trigger reset spring will not stop you from short stroking the trigger. It's a technique problem. If the trigger reset is sluggish, or it fails to reset if fully released (finger removed), that's a different story, a stronger spring will help, but if you're just short stroking the reset, that's not any fault of the revolver, and springs will not fix it.