Aussie new member requesting assistance with a SRH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oz.

Bearcat
Greetings from downunder - Australia

Afternoon all, I just went brought myself another pistol (lucky 13 now in total). Feeling pretty gutted and it's a sort of a cheer me up after the wife of 30 years hit me a divorce letter 30 June, not sure it will help too much but I guess it can't hurt.

image-11-e1469259354753.jpeg

image-10-e1469259126687.jpeg

Met her for the first time this morning, (really) new in box even smells new! She's an older 1992 model Super Redhawk in 44 mag and has never fired a shot. Despite what you may have been told we can still own handguns down here, but only for a defined target shooting match (genuine reason - metallic silhouette) and only transport to and from ranges that are approved for that calibre. No handgun hunting! Not dissimilar to our Canadian cousins north of you.

Anything above .38 in handguns is "restricted" (needs a special hi calibre permit) and anything above .45 in handguns is prohibited, after jumping through the appropriate hoops I can own a 45/70 revolver but not a SRH in .454 - that extra 4 thou is very dangerous. I also need to shoot her in at least 4 registered matches per year to be able keep her.

It will be three to five weeks until the paperwork to bring her home is issued, assuming it all goes "normally" and only with the registration can i legally posses her ammunition.

Anyway, enough woes, what I am hoping for assistance with is for someone with newer model Ruger Super Redhawk (manufactured after August 20th, 2013 - "three screws style" see below) to very accurately measure (with a micrometer) their front sight and barrel rebate set up and give me the dimensions or better still if your are a tech savvy smith and already have the CNC code to share it?

The dimensions I'm after are the milling details on the barrel end.
image-7-e1469259673826.jpeg

View of the new style front sight top
image-4-e1469260657925.jpeg

View of the new style front sight bottom
image-5-e1469260595311.jpeg

Ideally I would like the sight in my hand to give to the smith to work his magic, however your ITAR has made it a PITA to get anything, even to your "brothers" from the "coalition of the willing"! Ruger sell the part in the US, but only through Ruger online and only to US residents, likewise Brownell's can't supply one to Australia. The local Ruger importer (NIOA) has ordered me one but no idea how long it will take to get here "6 weeks to 6 months plus" . I would like my smithy to mill the barrel up ready for the sight ASAP and will shoot it scoped until I get the irons worked out.

I am planing on having the barrel cut down to 5" and re-crowned, the sides milled and the new model front sight fixed to it. The older model, that I have purchased has the front sight silver soldered on, I am advised that it is PITA to remove, reinstall and still look good.

Essentially make one of those nasty prohibited Toklat's, but in 44RM.
image-8-e1469258915158.jpeg

Any assistance, suggestions or general "heads ups" would be gratefully appreciated.

Oz.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I have a cut down 44mag SRH with soldered sight (4.5"). If I was to do it again I would have used JB Weld or tapped it with threads. It's difficult to dump enough heat into such a massive chunk of steel for proper soldering. With shortened barrel the heat goes into the frame that much more.

BTW, I tried to buy the bolt-on sight but Ruger told me I couldn't buy one either, I'm in the US.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Welcome Oz. Wish I could help but my cut down Super has a Freedom Arms front sight setup.