SP 101 trigger question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I have shot S&W revolvers since my USAF days 30 years ago. So I Know my way around a DA revolver. Shot a few Ruger DA revolvers and liked them never owned any Ruger revolvers though until last month. Picked up a SP 101 DAO.

My question is on Rugers or SP 101's particular for the trigger to lock up if you don,t pull it back all the way. I was staging the trigger (for a longer 25+ yard shot)and on the trigger went forward slightly they at that point it was temporarily locked up, would not go forward or back. This is rectified if I roll the cylinder slightly.

Being I have a 30 year friendship with S&W and they don't do that just wondering if Rugers are different and something I have to get use to or should I call Ruger to look at it?

Thanks for any direction.

If the cylinder has not completed it's rotation and you try to let the trigger back the cylinder pawl can sometimes get hung up, that puts pressure on the trigger pawl and "locks" everything up. The GP100 is really easy to stage but the SP101 is a little more fussy, practice dry firing and watch the cylinder rotate until it stops, once you get a feel for when this is going to happen you'll have no problem staging the trigger. If you want to improve your trigger here is a tutorial for doing so...

http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html

Meeko

Single-Sixer
Staging isn't the issue, I just didn't like that it lo Ked up. I'm an agency trainer er with DAO hammer fired autos as the issue (and I have always used DA revolvers along with some da/sa SIGs) and on them as well as my S&W you start to stage, decide not to take the shot you simply let off the trigger, hammer goes back down everything is fine. Only difference on the S&W is the c yu under will free turn being it will be between the cylinder notch thus not locked in but you can shoot again if you need to and if you don't shoot the cylnder gets locked back up easily. And you can take a shot again if you need to as that does not cause a dead trigger on a S&W.

Ruger not so much, when it's locked you have a dead trigger until you rotate the cylnder back. Don't like that about it. Which is what I was asking. If it's normal it's going down the road and I will stick with what I've known for 30 years.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have an SP and a GP and I cannot tell you if that is normal because I make it a point to not short-stroke the trigger either by stopping the trigger pull or not letting the trigger reset all the way. I think what you are worried about could be present with any revolver.

sp327

Single-Sixer
I think you may have a burr in yours. That is not the way it should be.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes, the Ruger can lock up as it did with you.
S&W & Ruger actions are entirely different designs. They do not act, nor feel the same as each other. It's not a defect,,, it's just it's design.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Yes, the Ruger can lock up as it did with you.
S&W & Ruger actions are entirely different designs. They do not act, nor feel the same as each other. It's not a defect,,, it's just it's design.

Thanks, sort of what I thought but wasn't 100% sure not having a lot of Ruger da revolver time.

Latest posts