Reuben.J.Cogburn's well worn Ruger, continuation of thought

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Reuben.J.Cogburn showed his well worn Ruger. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241227 Actually, to continue the thought, I just might come close to having enough field time to get a gun and holster to look like that. Which I would love to do! But in order to do that, there needs to be one gun you reach for on EVERY occasion. I split my time between my .44 special for deer and larger game, my .32 mag for running rabbits with the beagles, squirrels with the cur, coyote and just cooler weather field carry, and my single six .22 for summer backpacking and horse riding. occasionally the .357 gets the nod too. There are times the Glock is a close companion as well. With the time split between the 5, the wear is also. I'd like to hand a well worn gun and holster to my son when I am old and crotchety that he remembers as the "one" dad always had with him.

So, which gets the nod for constant carry? I'm thinking the .32 If I could carry it enough and make memories like Reuben and a lot of you others have with yours, it would be worthy to hand down to him.

But My Harton .44 special is my carry for deer season....A simply beautiful work of art that has taken NY deer and AZ bobcat
And my Single six rides so well on a Barranti holster on my chinks when on the horse....
And my .357 has spent time briefly roaming the hills of Wyoming....

Ain't it great to be in a country where this dilemma can actually occur?

But seriously folks, This would be a great conversation topic, chime in with your thoughts!!
And pics are ALWAYS welcome!!!

Oh, pics are mandatory??????

OK, here we go
Single Six
cid_20150526_195358.jpg

.32 Mag. I took off the sheephorn and have regular wood Ruger grips on it now.
02378.JPG

.44 special

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see a Glock on this forum.

eveled

Hawkeye
Variety is the spice of life. I love my guns, but have way too many.

A big part of me always envied the one gun guy. Not the guy who can only afford to have only one, but the guy who has a gun that is perfect for him, and he doesn't even want another.

Your post expresses my thoughts better than I can on the subject.

z1r

Single-Sixer
I'd be carrying the heck out of that .44 spl. I recently picked up a SS 44 flat top to be my "carry gun" but even though it is lighter than my 5.5" SBH, it still isn't exactly light after wearing it on your hip all day.

My idea was to replace the grip frame on the .44 with an aluminum unit. but, they don't make a NM XR3 AL unit. So, I thought instead of converting an old model flat top .357 to .41 Mag. Not sure if I can continue with this project due to recently screwing up my shoulder.

I may have to settle for replacing the S.Steel XR3 grip frame with an Aluminum XR3-RED on the .44.

In many ways, the .357 is the more versatile option, but I just don't care for how loud it is. These days, I prefer to keep velocities at or around 1000 fps. A 265 gr bullet at those speed will do all I ever need.

gunzo

Hunter
eveled said:
Variety is the spice of life. I love my guns, but have way too many.

A big part of me always envied the one gun guy. Not the guy who can only afford to have only one, but the guy who has a gun that is perfect for him, and he doesn't even want another.

I couldn't have said this any better. I've spent a lot of time pondering the subject. I tell myself I want a handgun that is MINE, there may be others in the vault to occasionally have a fling with, but that one gun is my gun. An extension of me, now & for the rest of my days. I'm 62 & it hasn't happened yet, probably won't, I like them all. Just fickle I guess.

Btw; a 1911 is a strong contender, but this LWSBH & I have been on several dates. It's stainless & gets a scotchbrite rubdown from time to time.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Spencer.......
maybe the gun ultimately chooses you... while I don't have any real beauties like many of y'all do, I do have other guns. Some are nice, but most are just ordinary workin dudes guns. The prettier ones, I rather doubt I would subject to the begnin neglect that my regular carry guns get.
I carry the ones I felt most appropriate not the ones I thought coolest..
My .44 took some tweaking to get it on paper for me.. there is a bit of muzzle rise with tbe .320's
The 870 also had issues with the sights... brennekes would dislodge the sights after a few rounds, and needed some gunsmithing to fix...
I also found my sks-m, being carried quite regularly. It is my porcupine rifle, but I have killed black bear with it...
These three carry the scars and wear of living in a damp state where it just isn't possible to keep guns wiped down enough...
I see many guns much worse off than mine... all thanks to being outside in alaska..
I know there will be a bit of scoffing, about my sks... but it has been a fine, reliable rifle...
I prefer it to my .44 honestly.....
but that's just me..... ;)

I do like the blue guns and the way they wear, but while I was in Alaska I ended up with a Stainless Super Blackhawk 44 mag, it started life in the mid 1980's, as a 7-1/2" that I had cut down to 5-1/2". It's 30 year old (at least) and does have some wear but given the age, and the fact it's stainless, it's age doesn't really show.

eveled

Hawkeye
Imagine, one gun, one holster, one kind of ammo.........and being satisfied?

I have a safe full, and still looking for more.

Thinking about it, it is not that I don't have the right gun, maybe I have too many right guns.

The only reason I don't thin the herd, is I have growing kids that may appreciate some of them. So for now they are staying.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
I do like the blue guns and the way they wear, but while I was in Alaska I ended up with a Stainless Super Blackhawk 44 mag, it started life in the mid 1980's, as a 7-1/2" that I had cut down to 5-1/2". It's 30 year old (at least) and does have some wear but given the age, and the fact it's stainless, it's age doesn't really show.

Just eat a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips then fondle the sbh... then lay it down on a cinder block for a few days.......... (preferably in the basement...)
You'll have the coolest fingerprint engraving you ever saw!!!
We saw more than a few etched stainless guns back in the shop back in Minnesota... We had to explain that it was stain... less... not stain.. proof!!!... :) :)

Although it will buff out if you catch it quick enough..... ;)

Joe S.

Hunter
The sixguns I typically grab when going to work on the farm are my old model 357 flattop and a NM 32 maggie. Altho it came to me with a well worn look i have added some wear to the flattop. The 32 is a recent acquisition but i am adding to it on a regular basis. I love the looks of a nicely finished sixgun. Case hardened receivers and claro walnut get my heart pumping. But i really appreciate honest wear. Sure i have some i baby, but my workin guns get used and I aint gonna cry over a bump or bruise.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I can visualize long term primary use of one handgun.

I can visualize that handgun riding in the same holster.

The same ammo is the tricky part of the equation. At least with parameters similar to Rubens. My part of the world I could think of some possabilities that wouldn't be terrible, but up there I would think the two choices would be underpowered for ticked off Grizz, or way overpowered for everything else.

Joe S.

Hunter
I do believe I would just have to settle for over powered for everything else.

much rather have too much ammo for a stray rabbit than a rabbit load for a grizzly.

I have an old New Model 45 blackhawk with the short barrel that was my first bigbore gun. Purchased and carried most of the time when I was a desert rat from the 70s and into the mid 80s out in California. It is well worn, but not worn out, and has had thousands of rounds through it, mostly lead handloads. It was the first 'big' gun my son fired and even after being fully warned and instructed on how to hold and shoot a single ation, it left a mark on his forehead at 16 years old. He remembers that gun, and it will be the "ONE" after I'm gone that will be most remembered as mine. I still love that gun and the way it handles, but now that most of the shooting is done at the state range, it is seldom out of the safe. I need to get that old black leather cowboy rig down and clean it up, the brass fixtures are starting to turn green. Maybe put that hogleg in it and relive a bit of my youth. There are a lot of memories in that rig.