Is this normal for the LCR 357?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fmjblack

Bearcat
I just purchased an LCR 357 and noticed that the machining of the steel receiver doesn't line up well with the polymer grip frame (see pic). I have had an LCR 38 for several years and it doesn't have this gap that the LCR 357 has, but I realize that they are made of different metals (aluminum vs steel) so what is normal on one may not be on the other.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert but I can see casting marks on the metal also and it looks ok to me. Tiny gap. :D

Fmjblack

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. The strange part is more so the relief groove that is apparently cut into the steel receiver to allow the polymer grip frame to slide over it... it's as if ruger cut the groove about 1/8" too far forward resulting in the gap between the receiver and the grip frame from top to bottom (not only the tiny gap seen at the top). In the end, it will likely be a cosmetic flaw only and should not affect function, I'm just a bit surprised that it left the factory machined like this.

NikA

Buckeye
It's more likely that there's a bit of flashing, mold-parting line, etc. on the plastic part preventing it from being pushed all the way to the relief on the metal. It should not affect function, and you should make Ruger aware of it if it does.

hittman

Staff member
Mine looks pretty much just like yours. Maybe not quite as pronounced but .... remember the photo is magnified a bunch. Had to look at mine with a magnifying glass to be sure. Have several hundred rounds through mine with no issues.

Fmjblack

Bearcat
Here are more pictures for reference. I suspect that there was just a batch of receivers in which the relief was cut a little further in than it should have been. Hittman, can you confirm the first few digits of your serial to confirm this theory?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That second picture really shows the problem. I would sent Ruger an email with the picture and tell them you are not happy. I bet they will take care of the problem for you.

hittman

Staff member
I don't have my s/n info handy but ..... Jimbo is right - that 2nd picture reveals a whole different issue as far as I'm concerned. I too would send that back. My gun is tight-fitting in that area on both sides.

Fmjblack

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestions. I called and they requested that I email some pictures. We'll see how it goes from here! I've owned many Rugers and this is the first time that I've had to contact Ruger due to a problem.

Fmjblack

Bearcat
powder smoke said:
IMO a revolver like that should not have left the factory!

They'll fix it! ps
I felt the same way, it was a punch to the gut to open the box for my new LCR and see such poor workmanship. It's on the way back to Ruger now.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
No, not normal. None of my LCRs look like that. I have an early 357, a 22 LR and a 38 with the exposed hammer. All of them have the grip frame part snug with the cylinder frame.
Limbo

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
my lcr 9mm is snug to the frame fit, it does have the cut out at the top on the right side. doesn't on the left, don't know why the difference.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I hope you guys have better luck with your LCR 357 then I did. I got two defective ones in a row. I bought the first one. It was on the way back to Ruger a few days later. It only took about 6 weeks getting the replacement.
Ruger replaced this first one and it was replaced with a 2nd defective one. Instead of getting a 3rd defective LCR I asked for the SP101 instead and they agreed to do that. Mine had a major problems and Ruger said they weren't repairable with the crane and cylinder. The cylinder was hitting the frame (cylinder window) every time I opened or closed the cylinder.

I don't know how either of these LCR's got out the door. What's even worse how I didn't catch it especially with the 2nd one. That finished my LCR days.

Fmjblack

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
I hope you guys have better luck with your LCR 357 then I did. I got two defective ones in a row. I bought the first one. It was on the way back to Ruger a few days later. It only took about 6 weeks getting the replacement.
Ruger replaced this first one and it was replaced with a 2nd defective one. Instead of getting a 3rd defective LCR I asked for the SP101 instead and they agreed to do that. Mine had a major problems and Ruger said they weren't repairable with the crane and cylinder. The cylinder was hitting the frame (cylinder window) every time I opened or closed the cylinder.

I don't know how either of these LCR's got out the door. What's even worse how I didn't catch it especially with the 2nd one. That finished my LCR days.
I'm hoping that Ruger will just replace my LCR 357 with a new one since I can't see this being something that they could "fix". If the 2nd one is defective in some way I will likely ask for a different gun or a refund. My LCR 38 is flawless and one of my favorite carry pieces, so I'm hoping the 357 that I get back will be as well.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Fmjblack said:
Ruger Redhawk said:

I'm hoping that Ruger will just replace my LCR 357 with a new one since I can't see this being something that they could "fix". If the 2nd one is defective in some way I will likely ask for a different gun or a refund. My LCR 38 is flawless and one of my favorite carry pieces, so I'm hoping the 357 that I get back will be as well.

Ruger will make it right one way or another. Hopefully you'll get a replacement instead of a repaired gun. Ruger will reimburse you for the transfer fee but I suggest you mention it to them when they contact you if they are going to swap it out.
Be patient, like I said it was about 6 weeks getting the first replacement and when they agreed to replace the 2nd defective one with the SP101 it was probably a month or so before I got it. I'm sure allot depends on the availability and if they are between production runs.
Good Luck

Fmjblack

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
Fmjblack said:
Ruger Redhawk said:

Ruger will make it right one way or another. Hopefully you'll get a replacement instead of a repaired gun. Ruger will reimburse you for the transfer fee but I suggest you mention it to them when they contact you if they are going to swap it out.
Be patient, like I said it was about 6 weeks getting the first replacement and when they agreed to replace the 2nd defective one with the SP101 it was probably a month or so before I got it. I'm sure allot depends on the availability and if they are between production runs.
Good Luck
Was there any communication back and forth before they replaced the gun at the 6 week mark, or was that the first thing that you heard from them after 6 weeks?