First time at the range with my MC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I completed my CPL class today and used my MC to qualify. I know that a semi-auto would have been preferable, as there were many 10 shot exercises that took me more time to complete due to my 6 shot limited capacity. But since my 1911 is out for service, I wanted to get this handgun out to the range to see how it shoots and all. I brought a box of Remington 357 125gr JSP ammo, as well as some basic 130gr 38 SP FMJ. I started out with the 357 rounds and found them to be a bit intimidating. I can shoot my 45 all day long but after 18 rounds of the 357 I switched over to 38SP. After the first 18 rounds the web between my thumb and index was starting to hurt due to the recoil, so I think that I need to practice my grip and control better. I found that shooting in DA mode was preferable, for me at least. This was my first experience with a revolver, and while I did enjoy shooting the 38 rounds, I was a bit rattled and nervous running through the 357's. I also had a box of 158gr SJHP which I did not even try. In the end I fired 50-60 rounds through the handgun. I definitely need more range time. I have a friend that is better trained in handguns than I am. He has offered to meet me at a local range for some 1:1 instruction. So I am sure that will help, too.

I replaced the wood grip on my Match Champion and replaced it with a Hogue Tamer Grip, it soaks up all the recoil nicely. I have tried both the Monogrip and the Tamer and the Tamer fits my hand better.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/gp100/rubber

contender

Ruger Guru
I love my MC grips,,, as they came from the factory. Of course,,, each person's hands are different, and as such, grip fit is very important.
But,,, before you start replacing things,,, get some good instruction, on how to properly shoot a DA revolver. It's different than a semi-auto & both are different than a SA.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I shot again today and nearly left the range as soon as I pulled the trigger. My hand was pretty beat up from yesterday and sore. So I used the "high thumb grip" with my left thumb resting on the frame above the cylinder release. It provided enough dampening, allowing me to shoot off 50 rounds of 357 and 50 38+P without too much discomfort. I think I will send this firearm back to Ruger. The hammer is not centered and is rubbing a bit on the frame. I wasn't too concerned about it at first but now the frame is developing a burr after some usage. So I will have them straighten it out for me.

Let us know how Ruger treats you, please. I'm a little apprehensive about send a gun to them since in the past they had some rather inflexible rules about what they would and would not do to "their" guns. On the other hand, FREE is an excellent price for gunsmithing these days....

Mine too has a mark on the hammer from a slight rub on the frame, I always have a variety of shims from triggershims.com on hand, so, a slightly thicker shim set and a file to the frame(one pass) took care of the rub. I will say though that the rub was from the way I cocked the hammer, no rub in DA.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Captain America said:
Mine too has a mark on the hammer from a slight rub on the frame, I always have a variety of shims from triggershims.com on hand, so, a slightly thicker shim set and a file to the frame(one pass) took care of the rub. I will say though that the rub was from the way I cocked the hammer, no rub in DA.

The hammer on mine rubs whether shooting DA or SA. I tried to physically move the hammer over in SA mode, but it still rubs the frame. If I knew how to, I would just shim mine the same. But, I don't...and so I won't.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Got my MC back from Ruger today. They replaced the hammer and recentered it. Also they cleaned it up nicely. I installed the stock GP rubber monogrip in place of the wood grip, thanks to a fellow member who had one he was not using.

Edit: I have to say, I sent my handgun in dirty, having fired about 150 rounds through it. Not a lot, I know, but it was still pretty dirty. They absolutely did an excellent job cleaning it up. It looks better than new now, and is nicely oiled. It seems to operate much smoother now, from the cylinder release to the trigger....just smooth.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Well, I ran 300 rounds through it at the range and the rubber grips certainly do improve the comfort level. No issues, just pure enjoyment.