red dot magnifyers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barber

Bearcat
I guess I'll have to give up, been looking for a 3 or 4 power magnifying red dot sight that doesn't cost over about $250.00, but all I see are magnifiers. Are there any not too expensive ones that will work on a SBH Hunter .44 mag with a TRS-25 Bushnell Red Dot sight.?

contender

Ruger Guru
I've not seen any.
I have to ask,,,Why have a $500-$700 heavy recoiling gun & NOT put on a quality set of proper optics if you want optics?
Recoil will affect the lower priced units of most manufacturers. Buy quality once & enjoy.

Not trying to be a smart arse,,, but a serious question to me. Quality optics are the best way to go if you are planning on using the gun for anything serious like hunting. Same goes for rifles.

barber

Bearcat
Contender; I pretty much agree with you,,,,,,,,but I have an $85.00 Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on my SBH Hunter .44 mag and on a .44 mag Contender, that I shoot pretty hot loads in, and I've shot a whole lot of hot, heavy bullets out of them with no problems. But I agree that's an exception, And I do appreciate you giving me an answer. ,But I need some magnification, and scopes don't work for me.

schloss

Single-Sixer
Primary Arms carries a couple 3x and 4x red dot sights. I'm guessing they're much larger than the TRS-25, though. Also don't know about mounting options, or how well they'll hold up on a 44. And they have reticles set up for 300blk, 7.62x39, and 5.56.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, exception noted.
But not many red dots offer any magnification. Aimpoint seems to be one of them,,, and they too are not "cheap".
One thing I noticed when I shot a few magnified red dots was it seems the dot appears bigger as well, obscuring a small aiming point. I caused me long ago to buy red dots with smaller mil-dots, (2 or 3 MOA dots,) so that at longer ranges,,, I could be more precise.

s4s4u

Hunter
The problem with red dot magnifiers is that they reduce eye relief to that similar to a rifle scope which won't work too well on a handgun with any recoil. If you want magnification I think you will be limited to a scope.

ClintV

Single-Sixer
One more comment on the TRS25, I've had one on my turkey gun for several years. It's gone through probably 100 rounds of 3.5" 12 gauge and never moved a bit. If it will take that abuse I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my .44 (except that my .44 wears a Leupold 4x)

7p's

Single-Sixer
The only red dot magnifiers I've seen were on rifles and were a separate unit.

Red Dots have come a long way in the past 5/6 years - almost anything on the markets today will hold up fairly well to harsh recoil. You can always find one that doesn't but then you probably have ole Murphy as a sidekick most days.

I run the Leupold DeltaPoint with the 7.5moa delta on handguns and use the very tip of the delta as my aiming point - equates to about a 0.250 to 0.5 moa dot. Can either use a 6 O'clock sight picture or dead-nuts hold and the bullet usually finds the mark. It's the mounts for the red dots that are still in the stone age - but for pistols, milling the slide is the real deal.