Ruger chambered in .500 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Just got back from vacation. I almost forgot about this post. The reason for posting was that I'm very interested in a revolver chambered in .500 s&w. Never heard of linebou. I'm considering a gun chambered in it and was hoping Ruger was a serious contender. It appears that is not the case.

Looks like magnum research has a 500 and Smith and Wesson also has one.

I really appreciated reading all the awesome well thought-out posts here. Thanks.

What do you plan to do with it?

Replace the Desert Eagle 50AE I sold to fund the better half's Sig P229 elite stainless.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Just got back from vacation. I almost forgot about this post. The reason for posting was that I'm very interested in a revolver chambered in .500 s&w. Never heard of linebou. I'm considering a gun chambered in it and was hoping Ruger was a serious contender. It appears that is not the case.

Not if you want an off the shelf Ruger. Only a converted Ruger 357 Maximum will get you a Ruger 500 S&W.

BNM10-600-03793-03.jpg~original
No, it won't. The large frame Ruger is questionable as a five-shot .454 at 65,000psi. No way is 65,000psi a good idea with a .50 caliber. As was already stated, the only long .50 suitable for the Maximum is the Linebaugh version.

MaxP

Buckeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
MaxP said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

Looks like magnum research has a 500 and Smith and Wesson also has one.

I really appreciated reading all the awesome well thought-out posts here. Thanks.

What do you plan to do with it?

Replace the Desert Eagle 50AE I sold to fund the better half's Sig P229 elite stainless.

No, what do you plan on using it for? Will you be hunting with it? If so, there are more usable (read packable) options in .50 caliber.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
No, it won't. The large frame Ruger is questionable as a five-shot .454 at 65,000psi. No way is 65,000psi a good idea with a .50 caliber. As was already stated, the only long .50 suitable for the Maximum is the Linebaugh version.

Questionable???? Go argue with Ruger, I won't argue on forums with you.

Is that why Ruger produces their #RUKRBS-6 454, because it's questionable?
PRODUCT DETAILS:
MODEL: Super Blackhawk Bisley
TYPE: Revolver
ACTION: Single Action
FINISH: Stainless
STOCK/FRAME: Steel Frame
STOCK/CTLINDER DIAMETER
CALIBER/GAUGE: 454 Casull
CAPACITY: 5
BARREL: 6.5"
RATE-OF-TWIST: 1-in-24"

Some education on the 500 Mag and 357 Max conversions:

The .500 S&W Magnum has a maximum working pressure of 60,000 psi (4,100 bar). However, most factory ammunition is limited to 50,000 psi.

The converted Ruger 357 Max has the frame milled larger and doesn't use Ruger's standard diameter cylinder. The cyl is larger, and made with material and heat treating appropriate for the 500 S&W.

End of discussion with you, as usual.

MaxP

Buckeye
For edification, there is a material strength difference that is significant between 465 (Carpenter - the steel used in all .454 and .480 cylinders from Ruger) and carbon steel. I know of one custom gunsmith that is using 465 in builds now and he reports that it is devilishly difficult to machine. It's tough stuff. In fact Ruger went through a lot of trouble finding a steel they felt was up to the task of containing the .454 Casull. 416 stainless steel was tried and found lacking, but the 465 (from Carpenter) was what they ultimately chose and for a good reason. Ruger also reports that 465 is very hard to machine.

The SAAMI maximum for the .500 Smith is nearly 62,000 psi and quite a few ammo manufacturers load it hotter than 50,000 psi. I wouldn't subject my .500 Maximum to repeated 50,000 psi loads, let alone 60,000 + psi loads, but that's just me. I have fed my .454 SBH quite a few full-throttle .454 loads in testing, but I have dialed it back considerably as it beats the gun up quite a bit and the end-shake mine has is palpable. I might add that mine has been through jury testing, and not a realistic amount abuse, but that said, the SBH makes for a better .45 Colt +P than a .454 in this man's humble opinion. So, in summary, I really don't think a Maximum in .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum is a very good idea. Too much of a good thing and as I have said before, there are better .50 cal cartridges out there if one has to have one. YMMV.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
CraigC said:

Questionable???? Go argue with Ruger, I won't argue on forums with you.

Is that why Ruger produces their #RUKRBS-6 454, because it's questionable?
PRODUCT DETAILS:
MODEL: Super Blackhawk Bisley
TYPE: Revolver
ACTION: Single Action
FINISH: Stainless
STOCK/FRAME: Steel Frame
STOCK/CTLINDER DIAMETER
CALIBER/GAUGE: 454 Casull
CAPACITY: 5
BARREL: 6.5"
RATE-OF-TWIST: 1-in-24"

Some education on the 500 Mag and 357 Max conversions:

The .500 S&W Magnum has a maximum working pressure of 60,000 psi (4,100 bar). However, most factory ammunition is limited to 50,000 psi.

The converted Ruger 357 Max has the frame milled larger and doesn't use Ruger's standard diameter cylinder. The cyl is larger, and made with material and heat treating appropriate for the 500 S&W.

End of discussion with you, as usual.
Are you still tore up over our previous argument, because you think you got an all steel flat-top down to Single Six weight?

Some education, are you serious??? Yes, resident expert, I know that the converted guns have their frame windows enlarged for larger diameter cylinders. They also have blocked actions and tightly fitted oversized bolts, which makes a huge difference in longevity. Pretty sure I learned this in the 1980's. I have a .500 under construction as we speak, expected back from the engraver at any minute. The .500Linebaugh/.500JRH are maximum pressure for their size in a converted Ruger and they are well under 60,000psi, with the Linebaugh around 36,000psi. You won't find a gunsmith who'll agree with you on the .500 S&W.

The factory .454's utilize Carpenter Custom 465 stainless and that makes it a whole different ballgame. Those who've done a fair amount of shooting are finding that they're loosening up with serious use.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Don't forget Magnum Research makes an affordable 500 S&W magnum in the BFR.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-500-SandW-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

MaxP

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Don't forget Magnum Research makes an affordable 500 S&W magnum in the BFR.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-500-SandW-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

Better yet, you can get the short-framed revolver from Magnum Research in .500 JRH.

P1000390.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
The extended frame BFR used for .45-70 and I presume .500 S&W is no less cartoonish than long barreled X frame .500 S&W. It may be my personal short coming but I need eye wash after looking at a snub nose X frame.

Oddly enough I wouldn't mind trying out a .30-30 BFR for a 100 yard cast bullet bench rest revolver. Maybe some day I will. I could handle lugging it from my trunk to the bench.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
I recently got to shoot my brother's S&W 500 Mag w/ 4" barrel. Having the compensator ports makes a big difference and helps to tame the beast. At $78 for 20 cartridges it does not get shot a lot though.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
TinkerDave said:
I recently got to shoot my brother's S&W 500 Mag w/ 4" barrel. Having the compensator ports makes a big difference and helps to tame the beast. At $78 for 20 cartridges it does not get shot a lot though.
You/he needs to reload. Cost should be about $15 for 20 shots!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
MaxP said:
Better yet, you can get the short-framed revolver from Magnum Research in .500 JRH.

P1000390.jpg
WOW, I really like that gun and cartridge. http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/69 A 480 Super Blackhawk in my hand would be nice also. :D

7p's

Single-Sixer
All I can add is I've got a couple, the 500 JRH (6 inch barrel), the 500 S&W (john ross model with 5 inch non-compensated barrel)) and the 500 Linebaugh Maximum (with 8 inch barrel) and when loaded to their very top end and then some; they will all cause some discomfort - however, that Maximum will cause a tad more discomfort.

MaxP

Buckeye
7p's said:
All I can add is I've got a couple, the 500 JRH (6 inch barrel), the 500 S&W (john ross model with 5 inch non-compensated barrel)) and the 500 Linebaugh Maximum (with 8 inch barrel) and when loaded to their very top end and then some; they will all cause some discomfort - however, that Maximum will cause a tad more discomfort.

Yes it will!