NOT a 357 mag redhawk after all..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don saw the gun this past weekend, is NOT a 357 mag, but a 44 mag and the serial number was FILED off ........anyone have any idea what the barrel ( stainless) and /or the cylinder, ,also stainless for a (44 mag) not a 357 magnum original Redhawk, would be worth or cost.........?????

had to add, found out it will be ALL the stainless 'parts' ,complete, for a Redhawk, the frame is being "destroyed"........hhhmmmm

Thank you for ANY idea or input......... :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
AAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Destroying a fine gun,,,,,,,,,,,sheesh!
I haven't seen much desire for such parts as nobody seems to ever need to work on one. I'd say price it in the ballpark of the same parts as any other SS Redhawk.

I know, so sad really, BUT the serial number was REMOVED at some time......hhhmmm :(
may tell the guy ,find an old "beater" 44 mag and rebarrel it???? swap the parts ?? that will drive the collectors and purists NUTZ someday down the road..... 8) :roll: :wink:

trapperon

Blackhawk
I believe the redhawks are caliber marked on the barrel only--not the frame. Maybe go just a tad higher on pricing these parts vs a 44 as they are obsolete---and anyone wanting to change the barrel length on their 357 redhawk may just be looking for what you have in barrel length. But yes--I think converting a beater 44 redhawk to 357 with these parts would be a great idea---just to keep another 357 going!!!

Ron

NikA

Buckeye
Maybe this is just me, but I would think the cylinder might be worth a fair bit as a blank to convert a .41 or .44 to some other cartridge. I personally have a project in mind that might be able to utilize these parts, so if they're available, please share.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
You should be able to get around $150 out of the cylinder and crane assembly. A bit more if you shop it around and are patient. I've bought 44mag and 45 colt versions for as low as $60, but the .454, .480, and .357mag versions are a little more pricey.

You can get about $100 out of the barrel, maybe $150 if you shop it. I HAVE bought a .357mag barrel for under $100. You'll pick up another $100-150 for the generic action parts - I've bought full action sets including trigger guard, hammer, trigger, and complete lock work for $45.

The .357mag parts really just aren't that popular. I shopped out the same idea a while back, after converting a donor .357mag to .475Linebaugh, at the end of the day, the parts were worth a lot as an assembled revolver, but I quickly found the whole was much greater value than the sum of the parts.

how well I know what you mean ,used to do this all the time but since 'retiring' do not pay much attention to parts, & prices,,,,,mostly 'old model' stuff, heck still got new model parts around here and there,NO call for them gave up taking them to the gun shows years ago.....most only ask for old model stuff, just took a walk around a small local show east of here ,on our way to New York, had guys coming up asking for this old model part or that, grips and boxes,,,,,oh well....maybe when my grandson, the 'little Ruger Dude', Colin, gets bigger, I'll give him all this "stuff" to sell on e-bay, as I will NOT do it............. :roll:
still waiting to even "see" this gun, and what needs to be done to 'salvage' whatever............. 8)

k22fan

Blackhawk
Like man eating bears, guns that had their serial # removed get discussed on the net way out of proportion to their presence in the real world. Summing up what appeared to be the best information in those threads, if BATFE is sympathetic they can authorize a gunsmith or manufacturer to stamp a serial number of BATFE's choosing making the gun legal again. A local gunsmith has done so for a customer. A member here wrote that they had to use the process after unintentionally buffing off too much while getting customers' guns ready to reblue. The request and authorization have to be in writing. That sounds better than scrapping a collectable Ruger.

when you KNOW the status of ,or the background of any given firearm, yes, not a problem at all, we've done it a few times over the years with any "restoration" refinish or re blue...BUT, when you come across an "unknown" and there is NO serial number whatesoever, where it is "supposed" to be, you have to turn it in, they may try try and "draw" the number with acid or whatever, AND then if it comes out to have been 'stolen' or maybe used in a crime, the "last person holding" is liable, or out, or ??????????
kinda like when a guy brings in some sort of illegal item ( contraband) hand them a saw tell them to cut it in half, strip the parts and I''ll buy the parts....this goes over big, and most just blink their eyes and get out of Dodge............last one we had come to the shop was a Boyes 55 cal anti tank gun, I asked him "where's the paper work" he claimed it did not come with "instructions", I handed him a hack saw, and he left.....here he tried to go to about every shop in the area, by the time he got home, the feds were waiting for him in his driveway,,,,,,they TOOK it..................................if you make it under 50 cal, then its "legal" BUT it is in this time frame of "doing the work, or modifying it..." YOU can get busted !!!!! leave well enough alone, NO serial number ?? get it away from us...YOU do what YOU want to do, ignorance of the law is NOT a defense in this case. 8) :roll:

NikA

Buckeye
Interestingly, Boys .55 AT rifles were sold as surplus without registration prior to 1968, so it's possible that item was legally possessed at some point by someone who didn't know it needed to be registered. In any case, when you can lose your rights over a few bucks, it's best to exercise caution.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
How are you coming out on this thing? I'm interested in the cylinder assy, maybe the barrel too, especially if it's a 5.5".

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
You could have Gary Reeder install them on a donor gun and rechamber them to one of his 357 caliber GNR cartridges.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/information/GNR_cartridges.htm