New to the revolver world

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Just picked up a MC and can't wait to try it out at the range! This is only my second handgun. I purchased an SR1911 last month. I ordered it from GAG, shipped to the local GM store. The sales guy at Gander was pretty impressed by it. It was the first MC that he had held. I do not yet have any ammo for it. Waiting until next week so the wife doesn't get too mad about my expenses this month.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I had to have a Match Champion when they came out (similar to most Ruger revolvers lately :roll: ). I got the one with the drift adjustable sights and it is very smooth compared to the other Ruger DA's I have.

My shooting buddy has one like it and we play the Battleship game with them.

I need to find one with adjustable sights for a good price someday.

32Magfan

ditto1958

Blackhawk
MikeAvery71 said:
Just picked up a MC and can't wait to try it out at the range! This is only my second handgun. I purchased an SR1911 last month. I ordered it from GAG, shipped to the local GM store. The sales guy at Gander was pretty impressed by it. It was the first MC that he had held. I do not yet have any ammo for it. Waiting until next week so the wife doesn't get too mad about my expenses this month.

Congrats on your new gun. You better start reloading, because .357 and .38 special factory ammo are both expensive.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
Congrats on your new gun. You better start reloading, because .357 and .38 special factory ammo are both expensive.
Congrats on your new gun. There is a lot of pretty cheap 38 special ammo out there but if you shoot that be sure to clean the chambers and get rid of the carbon ring before shooting 357 mag ammo otherwise the cases can stick in the cylinders and pressures might get excessive also.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Thank you for the advise. As far as reloading is concerned, quite a few have stated that by the time you invest in quality equipment and materials it takes a long time before you will notice any savings. Maybe it is like fly tying. I started tying rather than buying $50 worth of flies per trip. But I invested $1000's in equipment and material and will never break even. It is just a fun hobby now.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
If you get out with the MC you will enjoy it. Just remember, it has a different feel & method of gripping than a semi-auto.
Reloading. You can invest a few hundred in equipment, & have the ability to produce a lot more ammo than you can buy at a similar price. Judicious shopping, with careful study, & you can invest about $300-$500 & have an excellent set-up. Then invest in powder, primers & bullets. Once you have the empty cases, you can realize a savings of more than 1/2 of what factory ammo will cost. The result will be you can shoot more for the same money. And when you shoot more, you get to be a better shooter.
I started back in the 70's and was a bit frugal. Over the years, careful additions to my equipment has allowed me to expand my reloading quite nicely. And with the amount I shoot, my equipment was paid for LONG ago. Don't discount reloading too quickly. Especially if you like to shoot a LOT.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I am in no way against the idea of getting into reloading, I'll at least save my brass. I'm going to try some LAX Ammo, $80 for 250 rounds of target 357. Also will order some from Lucky and maybe American to see what works, also a private LGS here has decent prices.

What do you think of a high thumb grip as shown here? I dry fired mine like this today, not so sure about it.
https://youtu.be/EZ4LLp4xyQQ

schloss

Single-Sixer
MikeAvery71 said:
Thank you for the advise. As far as reloading is concerned, quite a few have stated that by the time you invest in quality equipment and materials it takes a long time before you will notice any savings. Maybe it is like fly tying. I started tying rather than buying $50 worth of flies per trip. But I invested $1000's in equipment and material and will never break even. It is just a fun hobby now.

This has not been my experience with reloading at all. I do it because I enjoy it, and my boy enjoys it. But I've only invested around $300 besides components, and it more than paid for itself in the first year. I don't have a high speed Dillon or similar, just a single stage, but it turns out ammo fast and cheap enough.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
MikeAvery71 said:
What do you think of a high thumb grip as shown here? I dry fired mine like this today, not so sure about it.
https://youtu.be/EZ4LLp4xyQQ
I don't like it. I sometimes cross my thumbs, especially on hard kicking single actions, but it is opposite of what he is showing. My off-hand thumb goes over the top of the other to lock the grip and I stay off of the cylinder shield. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I just watched the video by Chris. Here are my thoughts.
He references that this is a similar gripping method that he uses with a semi-auto. I also shoot both styles, as do many of us. Each type is built differently, and the physics of recoil are entirely different. In my opinion, trying to use the same gripping method for different physics isn't the most efficient method.

His reference to the "shroud" is actually part of the recoil shield area of the frame. By placing your thumb against this area may not work for all as each person's hands are different sizes, and as such, may not be as "controllable" as it is for him.
Next, by placing your thumbs in that position, your gripping is an "open hand" style, while more traditional gripping allows more of a closed hand.

Lastly, if you want to see the best,,, look up Jerry Miculek. He can run the pants off anybody in the world with a DA revolver. Look at his gripping method, and how he does things.

But,,, not trying to dissuade anyone,,, I say "try it" to see if it will work for you & fit your hands.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I watched Jerry's YouTube video on shooting a revolver. Yep, that is the way to do it. He is amazing to watch.

contender

Ruger Guru
And Jerry has a LOT more titles & experience than Chris. To top it off,,, Jerry, as well as his wife Kay, & daughter Lena are all down to earth folks who will take time to talk to you & make you feel like one of the family. I've had the pleasure of knowing them a bit for several years now. I've got an older pic of Jerry & I with Lena in the background. Lena was about 14 then, and not even interested in shooting much.

DPris

Buckeye
I bought my press in 1978.
RCBS Rockchucker.
Still going strong.
And I bought it used.

That thing has paid for itself so many times over....... :)
Buy good quality as you go along, and it'll save you bundles over factory ammunition.
Denis

woodsy

Blackhawk
Just for the record, one can begin reloading with the Lee "whack-a-mole" set for about $30. Then, if reloading appeals, upgrades are not expensive, especially if done as I did, one piece at a time.

schloss

Single-Sixer
woodsy said:
Just for the record, one can begin reloading with the Lee "whack-a-mole" set for about $30. Then, if reloading appeals, upgrades are not expensive, especially if done as I did, one piece at a time.

This is how I got started...

It's a nice set to get you hooked on reloading. Definitely not as nice as a press, but a very good place to start with minimum investment. Mine was in 308 and had quite few problems, but shouldn't be an issue with pistol cartridges. Also nice to be able to reload on a shooting bench or tailgate.

Another cheap option to look at would be the Lee hand press. I've never owned one, but always been tempted.