Am I missing something? Please help.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Just saw this SBH for sale used with box and a casting flaw for only $1,095.00 what the heck. I can get a new one for $620.00 local pawn shop sold me a used one no box for $350.00 OTD. Am I missing something?

https://www.joesalter.com/category/products/Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-Stainless-00029-In-Box-44-Magnum

ditto1958

Blackhawk
lfpiii said:
Just saw this SBH for sale used with box and a casting flaw for only $1,095.00 what the heck. I can get a new one for $620.00 local pawn shop sold me a used one no box for $350.00 OTD. Am I missing something?

https://www.joesalter.com/category/products/Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-Stainless-00029-In-Box-44-Magnum

I don't know, but I'm thinking the seller is looking at age, condition, and original box included. Still, that's a bit too rich for my blood.

dleong

Bearcat
Dunno. Maybe the seller is trying to leverage the (relatively) low serial number?

Rclark

Hunter
I'd say 'wishful' thinking. But then I remember the saying... There is a sucker born every minute ... and two to take 'em. So he might get a bite....

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That casting flaw must really be something. :D

Aren't the first serial number guns of a new model assigned to certain people?

schloss

Single-Sixer
Must be one of the same people trying to sell cast iron frying pans online for $150 when I can go to a flea market or antique store and buy one for $15.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, that serial number is not a low number. It's has an 85 prefix, putting manufacture in 1984, and only appears to be low by the 3 zero digits that follow. The earliest RENE reference to the stainless Supers I can find is # 84-62857, so it's not as low as many might believe. Due to Ruger's use of a prefix type serial number, sometimes folks THINK they have a low numbered gun, when they actually do not.

chet15

Hawkeye
That gun was actually part of a subscription collection though. The 29's were Russell Simm's, but I don't know if he ever received that one.
For some reason Ruger sent subscription number people an 85- prefix Super Blackhawk and nobody knows why. They are known in several different models. It was just an extra gun.
Even so...the price is too high.
Chet15

Joe Salter has some very interesting guns come in; I read his "New Arrivals" every weekday at 9am sharp. But his prices are so high that I mainly use his site for a "museum." You can learn a lot that way--great pics and generally correct descriptions of the ones where I'm knowledgeable enough to judge. Many I'm not--he gets some exotic and interesting stuff! Lots of it apparently comes from Canada.

Maybe someday I'll have enough $$ to actually find out if he'll dicker!

contender

Ruger Guru
I stand corrected Chad. I was using the RENE as a guide to when the stainless Supers came out. I didn't have a reference to the subscribers numbers & what prefix was used when.

chet15

Hawkeye
contender said:
I stand corrected Chad. I was using the RENE as a guide to when the stainless Supers came out. I didn't have a reference to the subscribers numbers & what prefix was used when.

No biggie...most people miss that one.
As mentioned, nobody knows why Ruger sent an extra Super Blackhawk out to the subscribers. After all, if they were around long enough, subscribers would have received an 81- prefix Super in 1973.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, I should have caught that one. I have a subscribers gun, with the 85 prefix. It wasn't until this discussion that my memory got jogged a bit. I actually thought that there was mistake made when I got my 85 prefix Super.