Rock Island revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Know this maybe a taboo subject but any experience out there with the Rock Island revolver? Their .45 autos are not bad at all, we own LCR's but it does interest me because they are 6 rounders.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I don't have any first hand knowledge but I did an internet search on "Rock Island revolvers". There is a whole lot of info available on YouTube and elsewhere.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I looked one over briefly, a 4" 38spl. I would compare it to a Rossi or Charter in overall design and quality. Looked ok, but I generally buy Rugers or pre-lock S&W wheel guns. Price was fair in the low 300's.

32Magfan

k22fan

Blackhawk
I've read Rock Island .38s sell for closer to $200. $300 is entry level pricing for used S&W Model 10s and Service Sixes. Even with holster wear they look better than a new Rock Island's flat black parkerized look. Parts will be available for Model 10s for longer than I will be around and are still available for the Six series. After a few years you might have to apply at the Philippine Embassy for parts for the Rock Island. I have not handled a Rock Island. Is its trigger pull, especially DA, worth owning?

NikA

Buckeye
+1 for used K-frames in .38 Special. They are the standard for DA revolvers in this caliber. Of course, if you're looking for something to conceal, the shorter barrels go for quite a bit more and I don't see a point in owning an Airlite J-frame given the quality vs. price consideration.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Armscor has been making them since at least the 1980's so they should be around for awhile. These revolvers are loosely based on the late model Colt design so anything good or bad about those should also apply to the RIA/Armscor. They sell for the low $200.00's here and most people who buy them seem satisfied.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I have a friend who has a 2" Armscor .38 spec. It looks like a Colt Detective Spec.
The trigger is excellent, both SA and DA. It's plenty accurate and shoots quite well.
For $250, NIB, it's not a bad deal.
You just have to get past the rough finish.