10 inch nm stainless blackhawk worth ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a chance to pick up a stainless 44 mag 10 1/2 " Blackhawk but have no idea what they are bringing I don't collect NMs but would like one for deer hunting I have looked on GB but don't see much being sold the gun I have found is like new are they worth $400 ?

Gramps

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
The going rate for a new one is $600+ at most shops nowadays. I'd jump on it if I had the chance at one for $400.

trapperon

Blackhawk
gramps

yeah sounds like a very good deal at $400. Especially if it happens to be an earlier tapered barrel version which tend to bring an even higher price. the tapered version is identified by a ramp style front sight--just like the 7.5 inchers--and a standard length ejector. the current version has a non tapered bull barrel, hook style screwed in front sight and longer ejector.

all of the 10.5 supers I have ever shot have all been extremely accurate and very fun to shoot.

let us know how you make out!!

Ron

veeman

Single-Sixer
Keep in mind that that long a barrel is great for the bench but a PITA in the woods.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I was considering a blued SBH with a 10.5" barrel last week with an asking price of $450, but it sold before I contacted the owner.

sixshot

Buckeye
In a proper shoulder rig they aren't that bad to carry & I've also carried mine with just the grip sticking out of my backpack where I can reach it in a hurry.

I've taken one bear with a blued 10 1/2" 44 & several deer with my stainless gun, as mentioned they are very accurate. If you can pick one up for $400 I run back there in a hurry!

Dick

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've seen prices up to $600+ in my travels. Actually I think the stainless versions have been a bit less... All factors considered $400 is a very good deal IMO.

I've hunted with my 10.5" blued Blackhawk for years, usually from a rest in an elevated stand. The velocity and sight radius advantages, albeit minor, give me an extra confidence when that 10-point is out there jusssttt a little further. The long Ruger will shoot about anything I can stuff into the chambers, and shoots it all very well.
I rigged a sling on my scoped 44M to carry it under my shoulder when walking. UM made a decent bandolier-type holster that works great also if you're into open sights.

After pondering value a minute, I wouldn't take $550 for my blue gun. Go grab that piece if its still there!

Well I finally got the time to go look at it it ended up being a blued gun but very nice condition I ended up paying $375 out the door and he thru in a box of antique PETERS 22s I wanted for my collection anybody have a good whitetail deer load worked up for this gun ?

Gramps

trapperon

Blackhawk
Gramps

great job---that was a steal! is it a tapered barrel or heavy bull barrel?

A great all around 44 mag load is 24.0 grains 296 and hornady 240 grain xtp hollow point. Tons of choices and heavy to light load versatility with that round though.

Congratulations!!

Ron

Hi it has the tapered barrel I just checked my stash of ammo and found out I don't have any 44 mag ammo one of my sons must have been playing :( Oh Well I will have to go get some supplies Does anyone know the name of the drilless scope mount that I have seen used on these and will it screw up the finish ?

Gramps

mohavesam

Hawkeye
B-Square and a couple others.
Any clamp-on mount has potential to mar the finish at the contact points, the advantage is not needing to D&T your frame.
Using any clamp-on mount I'd carry a driver and torque up the screws every 20 rounds or so, especially with full-power 44 Mag loads. Loose will get you broken; as the saying goes.

Latest posts