ivory on Single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crsides

Bearcat
Purchased a single six with ivory grips last week. I am satisfied, after reading through the material here, that the ivories are factory.
My question is whether they might have come on this gun originally. It is serial # 166xxx. Was this made in a time period when ivories were being offered.
The gun has a turn line, but otherwise 99%.

Would a ruger factory letter specify if the gun had ivories when it left.

thanks

Charlie

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the partial serial number, your gun was shipped in 1960. I believe the ivory grips were no longer a factory offering by 1957.
And, not many, if any, Ruger factory letters ever have the type of grips that was on the gun when shipped.

crsides

Bearcat
Ok ok

Don't have backside pics, but they are dished out area's with pencil # 8's. The rivets look right and they are recessed.

street

Hunter
From all information that I have read, the medallions are placed wrong. If it was me, and this is only my opinion, I would say that they are not factory Ruger grips. Keep in mind this is only my opinion, and I have been wrong when it comes to Rugers in the past.

Again, we get to agree to disagree, to me that is the same as the early further set back versions, these matched the set back of the medallions in the early walnut grips, look,see and compare...yes, would really have to "see" the backs, but there are some versions out there, with the "dish" and the number to keep sets together.......are they factory ?? subjective, as well as opinionated, NO ONE will ever know for certain as far more "pairs" have been made up over the years than the factory ever ordered or had made for any and all of their old model guns.........when you get them on an old model, and the price was right, win-win.to buy ANY pair from ANYONE, for some of the prices that we see them wanting, as well as going for today?? caveat emptor baby 8)

I agree with Ty , the serial number range is "late" for a factory supplied gun, but they could have been ordered, put on, at any given time,by anyone...... :roll:

Colt ivory grips for the Single action Army we see STARTING at $775.... :shock:

crsides, NICE looking gun, even nicer grips......... :wink:

SATCOM

Blackhawk
crside,

Yes, nice gun and great grips. Since you jut purchased it, look at it this way;

1. A pair of proven Ruger ivory grips are listed by RENE at $2,000.00.
2. Your grips are nicer looking than most that would sell for more than $500.00.
3. Put them on your insurance as $2K.
4. Enjoy them as what they are, beautiful grips.

SATCOM

chet15

Hawkeye
There are only one or two Ruger SA's that would ever letter as being shipped with ivory. One was a Fred Davis, Jr. gun and from the other guns in Davis's collection I am just about positive he had some very high factory connection.
Beyond that one or two guns, the only way a pair of factory ivory would appear on an XR3 framed Ruger would be if they were purchased as accessories.
Quite honestly, the meds in that pair of ivory are set back a lot further even than Ruger's XR3 hard rubber panels. Really...the position is approaching the distance from the front as with Ruger's Super Blackhawk grip panel...the medallion position.
Chet15

Armybrat

Buckeye
crsides said:
Beautiful old SS.
To my 71 year old eyeballs, the medallion looks to be in the correct place like my 1959 SS:

4c3359b74b70df2715d9bc0f0836822379d3219.jpg

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
That is one beautiful SS. I could care less if they are original or not. I am glad I looked at this thread anyway just to see that Beautiful revolver.

Thank You !

street

Hunter
Armybrat said:
crsides said:
Beautiful old SS.
To my 71 year old eyeballs, the medallion looks to be in the correct place like my 1959 SS:

4c3359b74b70df2715d9bc0f0836822379d3219.jpg
One has to understand that the medallions on the Stag and Ivory are not placed the same place that the medallions on the hard rubber grips. Check out Dougans book and you will see that the Stag and Ivory do not match the placement that the hard rubber grips do.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
With regard to the Davis gun, not sure which one you are referring to, but the Single Six #51 that now wears ivories did not come on them. This pair of ivory grips was loose in a box with about 20-30 other pairs of grips. I cannot say about the 357 #51 with it's stags, as they were on it in the '69 Gunfacts picture and are still on it.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
My ivories on my 10 inch flat top are allegedly factory. Ruger would not or cannot confirm what grips were on the gun when shipped according to my factory letter.

street

Hunter
charlies said:
My ivories on my 10 inch flat top are allegedly factory. Ruger would not or cannot confirm what grips were on the gun when shipped according to my factory letter.
From all information that I have read is that Ruger shipped no Old Model Rugers with Stag or Ivory from the factory. That being said I'm sure if you were an important gun writer of a friend of Bill Ruger or a company executive you could get anything installed on your Ruger that you wanted. But the average gun shipped to a distributer for retail sales would not be shipped with Stag or Ivory grips installed from the factory.