New 5-shot 480R Alaskans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Anyone else hear rumors of a new run of 5-shot Alaskans in 480R ???
Seems they may have the engineering/safety problems from the notorious first run worked out. (Those are all on recall BTW)
More than one employee rumor about saving their money for the release (employee purchase program). Quickly followed by "well I cannot talk about it or anything before a release..."
Lets see what happens... :shock: :shock: :shock:

MaxP

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
Anyone else hear rumors of a new run of 5-shot Alaskans in 480R ???
Seems they may have the engineering/safety problems from the notorious first run worked out. (Those are all on recall BTW)
More than one employee rumor about saving their money for the release (employee purchase program). Quickly followed by "well I cannot talk about it or anything before a release..."
Lets see what happens... :shock: :shock: :shock:

When they brought back the six-shot .480 SRHs after a couple year hiatus, they had apparently worked the bugs out. I have what might be the first production model of that run and it works flawlessly. No real need to go five-shot IMHO.

5of7

Hunter
I have the Alaskan and the SRH in 7-1/2" length, both six shooters, but while I agree that there is no real reason to make it a 5 shooter, but I would still like it to be that way. 8)

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
I can't find anything about this, but I hope it's more than a rumor. I would be seriously tempted to buy one if they become a reality.

98Redline

Blackhawk
My understanding was that the 5 shot version was the first attempt to build a 480 using the same steel they use for the 44 mag guns.
When they went to the Carpenter steel there was enough strength and toughness to go back to a 6 hole geometry.

I wonder if they are looking to cut cost and go back to the regular stainless cylinders.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Is the 5 shot 480 better for shooting really big bears compared to a 6 shot? I mean really big bears, like ones in the movie "Grizzly Man".

Varminterror

Blackhawk
If a revolver can be had in 6 shot, at full power without issue, I see absolutely no reason to cripple it by dumbing it down to 5 rounds.

Varminterror said:
If a revolver can be had in 6 shot, at full power without issue, I see absolutely no reason to cripple it by dumbing it down to 5 rounds.

I agree. They only way I can see it happening is if Ruger had some carry over in cylinders. They COULD make a clean up run. Even with that they are so busy I just really don't see it happening. Especially now when every one is concerned with a different kind of safety. They do fine with plastic guns and don't have to do all the hand work revolvers take.

chet15

Hawkeye
I would bet there are probably quite a few leftover 5-shot .480 cylinders there. It was rumored that only 26 or 31 5-shot Alaskans got out a few years ago, so you would think there are still some parts at Ruger somewhere.
It wouldn't surprise me though if the employees get a shot at these. Would keep Ruger from having to offer a 5-shot in the catalog again (which as everybody mentioned, really isn't needed since the 6-round guns have been around again).
Ruger did something similar with the New Red Label design they had and the few hundred guns with 20 gauge barrels. The employees got most of them....none sold to the open-market.
Chet15

Footedshaft

Bearcat
One bonus, if someone wanted a little more snoot, I believe that the 5 shot would allow you the option of shooting the 475 Linebaugh out of it with minimal smithing with the extra meat...

MaxP

Buckeye
Footedshaft said:
One bonus, if someone wanted a little more snoot, I believe that the 5 shot would allow you the option of shooting the 475 Linebaugh out of it with minimal smithing with the extra meat...

Keep in mind that only 2,000 PSI separates the .480 Ruger from the .475 Linebaugh as far as SAAMI maximum pressures are concerned.

s4s4u

Hunter
MaxP said:
Footedshaft said:

Keep in mind that only 2,000 PSI separates the .480 Ruger from the .475 Linebaugh as far as SAAMI maximum pressures are concerned.

Yep, and only about 50 - 100 fps, depending on the bullet.

Latest posts