Ruger Redhawk 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LCT

Bearcat
First post.
Interested in 45 cal for home/business protection.
The 5027 model looks more readily available than the 5035 (acp) model
Let me hear the good, bad n ugly
Thnx

427mach1

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum! The Redhawk is one of the strongest revolvers on the market and is my personal favorite for large bore. You can feed it any commercially-available ammunition, from mild loads for self-defense all the way up to power-house loads such as those offered by Grizzly or Double Tap for hiking in bear country. The 4.2" barrel is a good length for woods carry yet long enough to get most of the power potential out of the cartridge. All around a good choice...

DPris

Buckeye
The .45 Convertible Red's been discussed at length here, search for that commentary if that's what you're asking about.
Denis

ryszardsh

Bearcat
So happens I picked up a 45 Redhawk with a 4 full underlug slightly custom barrel. Debating holster for hiking/horses/hunting. I have a sourdough pancake that will work nicely but wanting something more classic for hip carry. Suggestions?

RAS

Ducky2002

Bearcat
LCT, I bought a 5027 recently. It is a good looking piece. Unfortunately, it is now back with Ruger to find out why it won't shoot. It jams up with anything in the chambers. Not some time - all the time.

Got it back yesterday. It seems to be functional now. Don't know what they did to it.
6/23/16

Just for the record - I made sure my 5027 was spotlessly clean when I FedExed it back to Ruger. When I got it back the cylinder and cylinder window were covered in soot. So after I dry fired it a few times with empty cases just to see that it didn't jam I gave it a thorough cleaning. Things I noticed in cleaning:
(1) the scuff marks on the hammer shank where it rubbed the frame had been polished to a mirror shine. (2) The barrel was clean. Was it replaced? 6/25//16

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have the Redhawk in 45 Colt/ 45 acp. I really like the round but grip that it has for my smaller hands. Very comfortable to shoot. I have only shot a total of 9 rounds of acp out of it. Just to make sure it would function with the acp. I really bought it for the 45 Colt and that is what I use it for.
There has been some of them posted on several forums having trouble shooting the acp round, but mine seems OK.

Good size packing gun for the woods. I use a Bandoleer Holster that works great.

Crazywader

Bearcat
I have the 5027 and love it! It handles loads from light to heavy with no problem and the recoil is easily manageable with the Hogue grips. The trigger is smooth - a little heavier than what I'd prefer - but certainly not an issue. No problems ever noted. It may not be the prettiest but it's a real 'Tonka truck' for sure. I only wish they'd chamber it in .454 Casull. I'm considering having it modified by Hamilton Bowen.

Crazywader

5of7

Hunter
I have a 4.2" Redhawk in .45 Long Colt and, as has been said above, it will handle any load available.

As a handload, I have a load that will get a good honest 1250 fps with a 275 gr, hard cast bullet.

I wanted to provide the specifices, but that file seems to be corrupted somehow. I will have to take the flash drive to my guru to see if he can salvage it. 8)

LCT

Bearcat
Ended up with a 3 inch GP100, Wiley Clapp Edition, in blue.
Better suits my needs for the truck, night stand and office.
Should pick it up in a few days. I am psyched.
But, if I decide to go out in the woods and do some serious hiking in bear country, the Redhawk 45 convertible is top of my list.
thnx for the input guys.

Gunnut45/454

Bearcat
I went with the 5032 45lc 4.2". Since I reload going 45ACP light is easy an staying in 45 LC case. If I want to shoot 45ACP that's what my P345 is for. The RH 45LC is a dream to carry an has all the power I need for any thing I will encounter in the woods or street!