"Supper" Street Hawk 480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djw54

Single-Sixer
This gunbroker auction

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559363346

has a "Supper" Street Hawk supposedly made by Huntington in 2003.
I'd never heard of it, but I like the proportions of it.
Comments?

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I think Max Prasac mentions this gun in his book about Ruger Revolvers. Personally, I have a .480 in a 7.5" SRH, don't much want that caliber with a shorter barrel, for my needs.

Mike

98Redline

Blackhawk
The initials seem to be the correct font for a JRH gun although I have a tough time believing that Jack would call it a Supper Street Hawk as opposed to a Super Street hawk but I will defer to Max on the veracity of this piece.

MaxP

Buckeye
98Redline said:
The initials seem to be the correct font for a JRH gun although I have a tough time believing that Jack would call it a Supper Street Hawk as opposed to a Super Street hawk but I will defer to Max on the veracity of this piece.

It is a Super Streethawk. Huntington made these revolvers before Ruger produced the Alaskan. I did write about these in Big-Bore Revolvers. The revolver in the ad looks pretty legit to me.

djw54

Single-Sixer
mikewriter said:
The GunBroker ad had the correct, "Super Redhawk" instead of "Supper".

Yes, but as noted in the text of the ad, and as can be seen in the pictures, the engraving on the gun itself is "Supper".

MaxP

Buckeye
All frame marking is performed outside of the shop. I am intrigued. I will see what I can dig up.

MaxP

Buckeye
This is indeed the only Super Streethawk that Huntington built and the engraver made the error in spelling. Huntington offered to strike the offending engraving and have it re-done, but the buyer decided to keep it as is as it was "interesting." So there you have it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Starting bid of $995 ?? I would have thought we had another rare, rare, rare, 'one of a kind' $25,000 Super Redhawk like that 5-shot 480 we read about. :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560001348

98Redline

Blackhawk
Interesting story. I am really surprised Jack let it out of his shop with the "Supper" in there. Knowing his attention to detail I would have expected that the offending text would have been struck and re-engraved before the customer ever saw the gun.

MaxP

Buckeye
98Redline said:
Interesting story. I am really surprised Jack let it out of his shop with the "Supper" in there. Knowing his attention to detail I would have expected that the offending text would have been struck and re-engraved before the customer ever saw the gun.

Again, he caught it, but the customer wanted it the way it was even though he wanted to fix it.