Convertible cylinder, will they fit any gun or R they fitted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JEB308

Bearcat
I'm just curious about these conversion cylinders for most Rugers. Specifically I have a blackhawk 45 that has an 45apc cylinder with it. I'm wanting to find a 45 Vaquero and was wondering if I can use that acp cylinder in the Vaquero too. I would like to know if it's doable or not and why. Thanks!

schloss

Single-Sixer
They need to be fit. Sometimes they'll drop in without any trouble, but other times will not. My 45 auto cylinder from my convertible will not fit my original Vaqueros, fits in my other Blackhawk, but will not operate.

If you're talking Blackhawk and New Vaquero, I don't think you'll have much luck, as they're built on different frames. A lot of people on this forum have fit them, though, I'll let them provide the knowledge on doing it.

Also, if you check around, I think Ruger is offering the NV as a convertible through Davidsons, and check out the shorty birds head model, too.

JEB308

Bearcat
Ok, I see. I guess that makes sense. I guess i can see an issue with timing them.

Yes, i've looked for those NV convertibles but not had any luck finding them. That's what prompt my question in the first place. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, you can get cylinders to "fit" if you can find the correct ones.
A Blackhawk frame, and the original Vaquero are the same frame size. So the cylinders are the same size & all EXCEPT OAL. The length is where fitting can be required. In general, the timing isn't an issue, as they are all made on the same machinery. So, you look at the correct frame size, measure the OAL of your existing cylinder, & look for one that's the same length or a few thousands longer.
The New Vaquero's & the mid-frame Blackhawks are the same size frames & as such you'd need a matching type cylinder.
Timing isn't as big an issue, but if there is any doubt, you can have a gunsmith check it.

JEB308

Bearcat
contender said:
A Blackhawk frame, and the original Vaquero are the same frame size. So the cylinders are the same size & all EXCEPT OAL. The length is where fitting can be required. In general, the timing isn't an issue, as they are all made on the same machinery. So, you look at the correct frame size, measure the OAL of your existing cylinder, & look for one that's the same length or a few thousands longer.
The New Vaquero's & the mid-frame Blackhawks are the same size frames & as such you'd need a matching type cylinder.
Timing isn't as big an issue, but if there is any doubt, you can have a gunsmith check it.

Thanks for the info. that makes sense to me explaining it that way. I have one of the bisley blackhawk convertibles with the acp cylinder so i just need to find me a vaquero, i'm thinking the New model and try to match the cylinder length. Wow! another hunt underway. Looking for that special gun is almost like hunting a trophy game animal.

schloss

Single-Sixer
JEB308 said:
contender said:

Thanks for the info. that makes sense to me explaining it that way. I have one of the bisley blackhawk convertibles with the acp cylinder so i just need to find me a vaquero, i'm thinking the New model and try to match the cylinder length. Wow! another hunt underway. Looking for that special gun is almost like hunting a trophy game animal.

Both the Vaquero and New Vaquero are new models. Which are you referencing? Might make things simpler if we started calling the newer stuff "medium frame" and "large frame" around here.

JEB308

Bearcat
schloss said:
JEB308 said:
contender said:

Both the Vaquero and New Vaquero are new models. Which are you referencing? Might make things simpler if we started calling the newer stuff "medium frame" and "large frame" around here.

Oh yes for me that would be simpler cause I'm just starting to learn about the Rugers and all the differences such as stated. I had no idea between the two that the frame is different. See I don't even know when they changed that up. I have a lot to learn. Like how can one tell if it's large frame Vaquero or medium frame. If it's marked new vaquero does that mean medium frame?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, it's actually easier if you follow a bit of the Factory's names.
From 1953-1973 the SA guns were called; Single-Six, Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk. In 1973,,, Ruger introduced the New Model Single-Six, the New Model Blackhawk, & the New Model Super Blackhawk. It says so on the frames.
The change occurred due to the internal action getting the safety transfer bar.
So from 1973 until just the last few years, we called the guns Old Models, or New Models. Everyone understood that.
All was fine and when the Vaquero was introduced, it had the same frame size as the Blackhawk. No problems.
Then came the New Vaqueros. Again, it says so on the frames,,,! But they had a smaller main frame, and the Anniversary Blackhawks also came with a smaller main frame.
Then the confusion began.
Some people want to call the Vaqueros "old models or new models." Yet, we already have collector nomenclature using "Old Models" to denote an action change. So, most of us felt the term "Original Vaquero" was best to use to describe the full sized frames, vs. the mid frames. (It's what I used in my post above.)
Also, at this point Ruger muddied the water by making it harder to determine which model was which, by reverting to the use of "Vaquero" for all the newest ones,, on the mid-frame.
So,,,,,,,,, when we discuss the Original Vaquero, full sized frame, we also say "when in doubt, look at the serial number. An Original Vaquero will have a 2 digit prefix, while all the New Vaqueros, mid frames, will have a 3 digit prefix.
In the Blackhawk lines, the mid framed guns are of the "Flattop" design.

Clear as mud now huh?

schloss

Single-Sixer
Read through the stickies at the top of this board. Lot of knowledge rolling around here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to maintain your sense of humor. A lot of guys around here are real good natured and helpful. Other guys are like me, really meaning to be helpful, but becoming an ornery old cuss in the process.

Keep reading up on things. You can still locate the original Vaqueros for a fair price, if you're patient. I personally like the feel of the mid framed guns a lot better, though. Good luck on it!

JEB308

Bearcat
Dang! lots of info there. Thank you for the explanation that really helps me to understand now when i'm looking at one of these. I just picked up a Vaquero in 44-40 and couldn't tell you what i had for there's no "NEW" stamped on it, just Vaquero, so i'll check the digit of the SN this evening. I guess i'll start with those stickies and read through them to further educate myself on these little boogers. I think I would lean more for the smaller frame vaquero too. The single six .32's have been my weakness so far, but after getting this 44-40 Vaquero i'm like, Oh my! got to get another one of these. So, here it goes the search is on, and now I know a little about what i'm searching for. Thank you all for the info.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Just to be nit-picking, conversion cylinders are for cap-and-ball revolvers, to convert them to cartridge firing revolvers. The term usually applied to extra cartridge cylinders is auxiliary cylinders.

Bob Wright

JEB308

Bearcat
Bob Wright said:
Just to be nit-picking, conversion cylinders are for cap-and-ball revolvers, to convert them to cartridge firing revolvers. The term usually applied to extra cartridge cylinders is auxiliary cylinders.

Bob Wright

Well i'll be, i never noticed that. I do a lot with my Iphone and the dang thing will spell check, most of the time wrong, for me and i never caught that. I meant Convertible Cylinders. good catch, but from the content i think most knew what i meant. Thanks.

JEB308

Bearcat

Well I just happened across this today and it was exactly what I was looking for. 45lc/45acp. I just can't believe we crossed paths. I didn't hesitate to say I'll take it! I had no idea these were made a few years back. I've really have learned a lot from this place. What a great place to hang out.