holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blammer308

Bearcat
Ok now that I got a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt with the 4-5/8" brl....

I am looking for a good holster to put it in.

I'm going to carry this while hunting.

Anyone have any suggestions where to look or who you like and recommend?

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
While you are looking look at Hunter Brand holsters.
There is a 2400 series Cross draw that's easier to access while in a stand, riding or sitting.
There is also a 1100 series you may find interesting.
MidwayUSA has a good selection and descriptions of these.

Trooper Glen

Bearcat
Bianchi Lawman and Galco SAO are 2 that I have experience with. The Galco can be worn crossdraw, which I prefer when hunting or loafing.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
All good suggestions. I have a couple of Bianchi 1L's and like them. Also have a Galco and a Simply Rugged. Both are fine field holsters.
If you aren't in a hurry, look at the holsters from Doc Barranti.
I have a couple and really like them. The #5 and #1 are both good field rigs.
Mernickle makes good gun leather as does Old El Paso.
There's no shortage of good field holsters available.
I think Simply Rugged provides the best bang for the buck.

Bianchi is good, Galco is, as well as Simply Rugged.
I prefer a holster that covers the trigger guard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bianchi+Cyclone+for+Blackhawk&biw=1120&bih=633&tbm=isch&imgil=uzCzBRBYyrrT1M%253A%253BgYwfXbrj8KrVmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.amazon.com%25252FBianchi-111-Cyclone-Holster-Fits%25252Fdp%25252FB005PT02FY&source=iu&pf=m&fir=uzCzBRBYyrrT1M%253A%252CgYwfXbrj8KrVmM%252C_&usg=__HmKAE5CFvkKJorbcLn_OKf_ADDs%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiC2pGDsurMAhUHxWMKHQI8BKYQyjcIPg&ei=Guw_V4LlEoeKjwOC-JCwCg#imgrc=uzCzBRBYyrrT1M%3A

contender

Ruger Guru
Howdy Blammer!
I haven't seen you since lunch at Subway!

I have a couple of Barranti shucks that are nothing short of excellent. I highly recommend his stuff. Not cheap,, but top quality.
I've said before; "I've got a custom leather shop locally (Jackson's) that can build me anything I desire. However, I pay more, wait longer & have zero complaints!"

I'll offer you a chance to see & try one of Doc's holsters that fits that exact gun. I have a few different styles you can see. Wanna meet?

BearBio

Buckeye
You want cheap or good?

Hunters will do the job for field ware. Viking is another old brand found used that is quite serviceable.The older ones are better and can usually be found on E-bay for around $20=Sometimes in LGS "discount bins" as cheap as $5. Bauer and others can be found.Lawrence and Bianchi can be found quite often in the used bins also! Don't forget thrift stores. DON'T FORGET A GOOD BELT!

The BEST, in my opinion, are the Tom Threepersons. Mine are made by El Paso Saddlery. Again, used can be found on E-bay. Can be as inexpensive or expensive as you like, depending on lining, tooling, etc. I use the "John Wayne" money belt & holster for my hunting rigs.

The Blackhawks are easy to fit. I have found a USGI shoulder holster for a 1911will also fit a Blackhawk with the shorter barrel. Useful for fly-fishing in Alaska.

Blammer308

Bearcat
thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been checking them all out, I suppose I'll have to put my hands on a few to get a feel for what I like and don't.

Hey contender, yep it's been a while.

busy as a bee now, have a full time job to make it more fun don't you know.

my schedule is full up till school gets out otherwise lunch would sound good.

I'd like a GOOD holster, something that will last and function.

I already have a good leather belt so that's not a real issue.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
You can make up your own as well. Tandy leather has all the tools for it at under $50 for leather and tools you'll need and the expert advice to go along with it. The first one you make will do the job...the 2nd will be good enough to show off to friends, the 3rd is Christmas gift quality....and believe me, if you like and carry your guns, you won't stop with just three.

My sons and I have made literally dozens for ourselves, friends and family, adjusting designs to fit our whims, but usually come back to the tried and true old Tom Threepersons type. El Paso Saddlery has them and not cheap either, but made with first rate craftsmanship and materials. You can't go wrong with one from them.

Here's a home made one of ours...you can do as well with a little practice. Belt, sheath, holster and knife were all made here on the farm. Rod

nn

Single-Sixer
I like the Galco SAO; get it long enough and it will fit all your N frames and Ruger blackhawks & redhawks.

Can be used for single 6 & 7

also works for GP 100

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Check out the Mernickle PS6SA, crossdraw.

I've become quite fond of it. The butt of my slung rifle or shotgun no longer get chewed up by the hammer of a strong side carried revolver.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Take a look at this thread. HC Leather is the maker, and as far as I know his holsters are only available via Ebay.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238450

Latest posts