Grip swap problem, trying to use GP100 grip on SRH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a GP100grip (the one with the wood inserts) to put on my SRH since I like the wood insert option of that grip. The SRH is the fingergrooved all rubber Houge which functions well, just not the purtiest thing. Anyway, after doing some research I found several references that allow that the grips are interchangeable. And yes, to a point they are, however...

What I found upon installing the GP100 Grip was that the "bolt or cylinder" that prevents the grip from coming off the frame is actually a larger diameter and also longer on the GP100 then the one which secures the Houge on the SRH.

Effectively, if you use the grip without this retaining bold the grip will eventually slide down off the frame.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
Well it seems that I stumbled onto someone with the same concerns, go to this forum
http://rugerforum.net/handgun-accessories/76862-gp100-vs-srh-alaskan-grip-size.html

I did, BTW, call Ruger and they confirmed that the new Alaskans (I didn't ask about the other SRH's but I assume they are similar) were changed over to the smaller diameter grip dowels (3/8 vs 7/16). They did not have an solutions for me other than to look after market or make my own dowel, which I may well do.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
lfpiii said:
The hogue bolt is only for the hogue grips. Mine accepted the GP bolt in the frame.

That is correct, but if your SRH used the same internal dowel as the GP you have an older gun, the more recent SRH have a smaller diameter dowel see the photos in that article I gave the link to ...

As an update I did fashion my own dowel using a piece of oak dowel I will post some pictures tomorrow.

hittman

Staff member
Bet Ruger would send you the part you need for cheap ..... or less.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I did call them but they had no such part, told me to try the aftermarket parts suppliers!