Ruger 50th Anniv, .44 Mag Flat-Top Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jlh

Bearcat
I might have a chance to pick one of these up for $500. It is as-new-in-box, and has only had half-a-box of ammo fired through it by its original owner. It has all paperwork, etc that came with it when new. 'Good deal, or pass?

Thanks

hittman

Staff member
I'm guessing folks will be split on this one.

It's not new-in-the-box if it's been fired. The collector value is gone; it's a shooter.

And, seems they made a gazillion of them.

I'd come closer to spending my $500 on an unconverted Old Model.

But that's only me.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
If you want a single action 44 magnum to shoot, buy it. As a collector's item, it is worth less than one that has never been fired, but still has collectors value based on its condition.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I bought one new some years back for that amount. Do I like it? Well, my Smith M-29 has lanquished in the safe all this time.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Mine is one of the best shooting and best built Rugers I've ever owned. I didn't buy it for collector value.

I too would buy an OM FT 44 for $500 if I ever see one. Been several years since I have. Might be heresy to say so but the gun you are looking at is in my opinion a better "shooter" than the old model.

I think that is a very fair price for a very good gun.

Dan

hesco

Bearcat
Sounds like a fair price, if that's the asking price you may be able to haggle a bit

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Get it.
I probably have a hard time parting with mine for 500. Everyone likes the big bullets at sane velocities ringing the gongs.
- I'd love to have a brother flat top, dedicated 45ACP just like it.

these guns deserve a gunbelt fitting the gun. El Paso Saddelry makes a great one ( #1 Moneybelt ) of folded suede. Get that too! 8)

6gun

Hunter
Funny how some people want these guns now I remember a few years back when "CDNN Sports" had them on clearance on line for months for $275 and no one was buying them now days after they some how pawned them all off people want to pay almost double to get one. :lol:

Personally I would pass on the gun knowing it was once a clearance item and the seller will be laughing all the way to the bank with your cash making a big profit of you.

If you really want the gun offer them $300.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
these guns deserve a gunbelt fitting the gun. El Paso Saddlery makes a great one ( #1 Moneybelt ) of folded suede. Get that too!

Good advice there, from Mohave. While I regularly carry my 4-5/8" bbl'd Rugers, the longer 6-1/2" bbl'd models shoot just a bit better but truly need a good rig to carry right. I think you'll find that a 'tanker' or some sort of shoulder rig is better for hunting, especially out of a deer stand, or when transiting on horseback, tractor, truck or 4x4. That long bbl. just hangs down too far. Here's one that I made up...as close to the "Duke's" old rig as I could make out from pics.

That folded money belt, with the rough side out, is by far the most comfortable gun belt I've ever used. We've tried them from 2" to 2-3/4" width and have found that 2" is just about perfect, even with a heavy Ruger SA belted on. Pictures of John Wayne show him wearing his classic lower than his pants belt line for the most part. That position, unless you're on horseback, will give you cramps in the butt, and make walking more than a few hundred yards a royal PITA, literally. My sons and I wear them high, over the pants belt, using keepers, just as LEO's do, and also make our Tom Threepersons holsters with a very short drop so as to keep the muzzle out of the dirt, or seat cushions when we sit. All in all it's a great rig. Rod

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I agree with 6gun it is only worth $300. Many dealers are stilling on these still. I just got back from a two day gun show. One dealer still has 3 for sale at $700 each. I keep offering $300 I believe he got them for a little less as a dealer on CDNN. I think he will cave next show since he has not sold a gun in two shows.

6gun

Hunter
Cholo said:
Buy it. Let 6gun and lfpiii wait for their $300 NM SBH :roll:

I'm certainly not waiting for one didn't even want one at $275 in the CDNN close out.