Let's see those home grown grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

REP1954

Blackhawk
Like the title says let's see your DIY grips.

Here's mine in spotted ivory. It is legal to still show pictures of ivory grips isn't it?

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
54 those are some nice looking grips you have there, I only wish I have the talent and patience to do what you can do. I had to go to 41Mag to get my walnuts done for my CC&B New Ruger Vaqueros. Would I get any pints for chasing down the wood from a guy in CA.
2rr8kev.jpg

As grips go, you can't get any simpler than a set for a late model stainless Ruger SA. I'd encourage anybody to try it, no matter how limited your woodworking skills.

I love pretty grips and enjoy making my own... but I only have just so many handguns. So I try to make every set unique, in terms of wood and shape. I'm now on my 2nd and 3rd sets for each of my guns. Reminds me of my granddaughter playing with Barbie dolls. Here's few, starting with the easiest...

DSC_0033-001.jpg

b83fdd94-063a-4090-9c18-42e9b7b8b3fa.jpg

DSC_0022-001a_2.jpg

1-DSC_0003-001.jpg

DSC_0034-001.jpg

collage4.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0031_1.jpg

kestump

Bearcat
Not quite the same as your beautiful single action grips, but I did make these inserts for my Alaskan from elk sheds that I found.

imagejpg9_zps82f75766.jpg

imagejpg8_zps70e48a8b.jpg

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
Everything I looked at from start to finish was very, very nice. I'd be proud to show and tell anyone that I was the Maker.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
IMG_0141800x639_zps065f2046.jpg

I haven't tried making grips for my NMBH yet but I wanted some nice-looking thin walnut grips for my Beretta 92 and after many tries,
ended up with a pair that look and feel good. These are pretty thin and make the large-ish Beretta feel good in my smaller hands.
I think the Ruger SA grips will be a little easier to make when I try.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
kestump said:
Not quite the same as your beautiful single action grips, but I did make these inserts for my Alaskan from elk sheds that I found.

imagejpg9_zps82f75766.jpg

imagejpg8_zps70e48a8b.jpg

Would love to do something like this for my Alaskans...did you follow a tutorial somewhere or trial and error? I have never made a grip or slab, I should go and find something on youtube I suppose. Anyway, the results you achieved are terrific!

kestump

Bearcat
Thanks for the good words!

I am not aware of any tutorial, it was a trial and error effort. The hardest part was finding the right chunk of the antler with just the right amount of surface curve to thickness ratio. Didn't want it perfectly flat and didn't want it too rounded so as to get the right amount of "bark". Once I got the slab to the right thickness I traced the profile shape from the factory wooden insert onto the antler slab. I then used a belt sander clamped upside down in a vice to carefully sand the slab down to the line. Lots of sand, then fit, then sand, then fit and so on until I got it just right. To get the screw hole in the right place, I put one side into the rubber grip, marked the hole through the grip, and then removed, clamped, drilled in my drill press. Once I had a hole in the one side, I clamped both sides together and went through both on the press.

That's the quick and dirty. Hopefully it makes sense. If you have any more questions let me know!

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
kestump said:
Thanks for the good words!

I am not aware of any tutorial, it was a trial and error effort. The hardest part was finding the right chunk of the antler with just the right amount of surface curve to thickness ratio. Didn't want it perfectly flat and didn't want it too rounded so as to get the right amount of "bark". Once I got the slab to the right thickness I traced the profile shape from the factory wooden insert onto the antler slab. I then used a belt sander clamped upside down in a vice to carefully sand the slab down to the line. Lots of sand, then fit, then sand, then fit and so on until I got it just right. To get the screw hole in the right place, I put one side into the rubber grip, marked the hole through the grip, and then removed, clamped, drilled in my drill press. Once I had a hole in the one side, I clamped both sides together and went through both on the press.

That's the quick and dirty. Hopefully it makes sense. If you have any more questions let me know!

That makes a lot of sense...but, I have the 44Mag Alaskan and the grips are solid rubber, I didn't know they made the grips with a wood insert, I'll have to see if I can get that and swap them out like you did. I'd rather not have to cut out the rubber etc. Thanks again!

EDIT: ah,ok, I just did a google search and see you can use the GP-100 and even the SP-101 grips will fit on the Alaskan...I have large hands though so I need to keep away from the compact sizes.

Clark

Bearcat
If one were interested in making their own set, where could he find the bolt and escutcheons for sale? Need I ask about the Ruger medallions?

Clark

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Brownells has the screw sets. I get the medallions from another company on line. Try google for them. I can give you the screw set part number and the web address for the medallions if you want but I cant do it until tomorrow. Let me know if you want that info. Chuck

REP1954

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
Why these threads aren't posted in the Gallery, I don't understand. Would be so easy to find.

The Gallery
A place for pics of your favorite Ruger firearms. There is a tutorial inside giving instructions on how to post pictures

Well maybe just maybe the gallery has become to far from what it's discription say's it is for. It seems to me half of what is in the gallery should be in the Lounge.