Deciding on a Blackhawk .357 convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaleH

Bearcat
Hey all,
Nice forum, I'm new here and thinking about buying a Blackhawk .357 convertible.
Now I have to decide if I want the 4.62" or 6.5" length. Oh yea, blue or stainless finish too?
Any pro/cons to either barrel length or finish?
I will mainly use it for "plinking"

I do have an older "new model" convertible single six in 6.5" (blue).

Thanks,
Dale

k22fan

Blackhawk
The answer to your question is what's your preference?

Most folks think older bluing looks better than stainless. I do not think the new flat black finish that substitutes for real bluing looks any better than stainless. I never had rust problems on my blued guns that were just taken back and forth between hunting, the range and a heated house. For me the biggest advantage to stainless is that it is easier to clean. You can use brass tooth brushes and brass wool on stainless without worrying over thinning the blueing. If you ever get light rust on stainless you can remove it and match the factory finish with the right grade of Scotch Brite pad.

The longer barrel gives you more velocity while reducing the blast noise and The longer sight radius allows you to see a smaller misalignment between the sights. The draw back is that you can not sit down in a car wearing a 6" barrel in most belt holsters. That requires belt loops sewn lower on the holster or one of the old police swivel holster that you never see anymore.

So, what's your preference?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As an owner of a "few" of these exact guns,,, I can say I like all of mine. But as stated above,, you have to decide which one fits your preferences.
I personally feel the shorter barrels handle & balance better IN MY HANDS,,, & in general make better packing pistols.
May I suggest you find a gun range that rents guns to try both barrel lengths? Or a friend who may have them to let you compare them? As for blue or stainless,,, again, the above post give you good food for thought.

rangerbob

Buckeye
You might consider the 5.5" Flat top 357/9mm from Lipsey's and split the difference. It's available in blue and SS. Bob! :D

DaleH

Bearcat
Hey thanks for the input guys. I'm going to visit the local gun store and take a look at what they have. I'll read up on them here some more and see if the shooting ranges may have one or both to rent.

Dale

schloss

Single-Sixer
Those items you've listed are all personal preference. The bluing on newer guns will not be as nice as your old model, if that makes a difference to you. I picked up blued Blackhawk a few years ago that was missing bluing in a few areas, which kind of irritated me, but it shoots good. Don't have to worry about that on stainless guns.

Just pick what you like. Most of us end up with both. I personally prefer the shorter barrels and blue finish.

Chief 101

Hunter
Why not plan on buying one of each, lets see, that would be 4 revolvers. Start with the opposite of what you have now, 4.2" in SS, then work you way to the 6.5 Blue, if any of these don't make you happy sell. That's my approach... :idea: :wink:

eveled

Hawkeye
I would go with a lypsey's flattop. I like short barrels.
VZM.IMG_20160501_132708_zpsovxgxcz0.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
And I like 5.5" barrels ... and blued revolvers :) . Personal preference as said above. I'd suggest getting the Lipsey flattop convertible too as they are on the medium frame. The large frame is just way overkill for the .357 cartridge. That said, the standard NM BH .357 6 1/2" was the first revolver I owned as a late teen way back and used it plenty... and still have it.

RugerFlattop357_sightFiled1024_zps8pekem7f.jpg

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I was in the same dilemma as you not long ago & decided on this one.

I like it's size for the .357 size cartridge. Then I thought about barrel length & finish. JMHO. :)
Good luck in choosing your gun & please let us know how you pick.

eveled

Hawkeye
That would be my first choice too ruffbird, next a stainless .45 convertible. Although I might go with a blued .45, to make it impossible to put the wrong cylinder in the wrong gun.

Anyway with two flattop convertibles, you'd have all the bases covered.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
You might consider the 5.5" Flat top 357/9mm from Lipsey's and split the difference. It's available in blue and SS. Bob! :D

+1. I have one, and I really like the 5.5 inch barrel.

DaleH

Bearcat
Oh boy! Now this is getting really confusing. LOL.. :shock:

I didn't know there was a 5.5" model. So lets see, 4.62, 5.5 or 6.5". Then we have the blue or stainless option. Oh, and the med/large frame too? I just looked on Ruger website and saw all the options that I never new existed. Lipsey's and Williams distributors too.

Well, at least I know I want a .357/9mm convertible. I do kind of like the looks of the 5.5" model. But I have more learning to do before I buy.

Another question. If I decided I want a Lipsey or Williams exclusive do I have to buy from a special place or is that something that a local gun store might have?

Thanks, Ya-all
Dale - AZ

DaleH

Bearcat
Update... So today after taking my wife out to breakfast for Mothers Day, we visited 6 (YES, 6) local gun stores. 1 store was a real small store, but the others we're fairly large stores. Even went to Bass Pro. Anyway, not a Ruger Blackhawk to be found anywhere in .357. So I couldn't even get my hands on one. I even visited a local shooting range and they didn't have one either. So, still looking.

I'm kind of liking the Lipseys 5.5" in stainless. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Dale - AZ

Meeko

Single-Sixer
After wanting one I saw a 6 1/2" 347/9 convertible I bought. Don't get me wrong its a great gun (like all Blackhawjs) but after carrying 4" revolvers in the USAF (back in the day) and for a lot of personal use I would get the 4 5/8" one if I had to do over.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Meeko makes a good point. That is not to say DaleH will be happiest with a short barrel, but first choose how long and heavy a revolver you want, then choose between models that fit your choice. To use the extremes, an aluminum grip frame on a 4 5/8" mid frame feels very differed from an all stainless steel .44 Magnum framed long barrel Blackhawk. Either might be first choice for your use but the two do not serve the same purpose.