Blackhawk convertible idea

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
Would a Blackhawk 10mm/40cal sell? I really enjoy my .45acp cylinder in my Lypsey's flattop.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Buckeyes were 38-40 & 10mm. Quite popular. There were also some 40 S&W Vaqueros built. A viable gun for sure,,, especially as a Distributor Special.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A distributor special of 1000 units or so in almost any combination will sell. If not all to shooters, to collectors because of it's limited number, if for no other reason. And in 10mm/40 cal because the cyl can be reamed to 38-40 since Ruger does make those. Especially a 38/40 / 10mm would sell even better, and shoot all three right out of the box.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I doubt the .38-40/10 mm could shoot all three right out of the box or any other way. How would the .40 head space in a 10 mm BH cylinder?

I like eveled's idea of a two cylinder 10 mm/.40, especially on a mid-frame. Ammo cost makes 10 mm a reloaders' cartridge. The .40 cylinder could be used to fire some what affordable factory range fodder or for reloading scavenged range brass. It would also be a way to blast off batches of your .40 reloads that won't cycle your auto. Out of the zillion or so owners of .40 service & self defense automatic pistols there must easily be a few thousand that would enjoy a companion piece that is easy to shoot accurately. At present very few revolvers fill the bill. Existing .40 revolvers are either high priced due to their small numbers or snub nosed.

I like convertibles. I've had many, in .357/9mm, and .45/.45ACP. Contrary to some other folks' experiences, all of my convertibles have shot amazingly well, with either the revolver cartridges, or with the automatic cartridges.

So enter a Blackhawk chambered in .40 S&W. Not everybody appreciates the .40 S&W cartridge. I do. For a tiny little cartridge, it's a powerhouse, and for the non-reloaders, .40-ball ammo is pretty cheap to shoot. Combine this convertible combination with a 10mm, or a .38-40, and it's a hit. I'm really surprised Ruger has not spent much time with the .40 in a Blackhawk.

WAYNO.

I have trouble shooting center fire SA's nowadays because of thumb issues, but if I could, I would dearly love a 38-40/10mm Super Blackhawk Stainless with a 6 1/2" barrel. Alas, I only shoot DA revolvers so this is just a dream......

Dave

Hondo44

Hawkeye
k22fan said:
I doubt the .38-40/10 mm could shoot all three right out of the box or any other way. How would the .40 head space in a 10 mm BH cylinder?

Three cylinders. And one could be reamed to 10 MM Mag; simplest cyl conversion since the 32 H&R Mag to 327 Fed Mag.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
I have trouble shooting center fire SA's nowadays because of thumb issues, but if I could, I would dearly love a 38-40/10mm Super Blackhawk Stainless with a 6 1/2" barrel. Alas, I only shoot DA revolvers so this is just a dream......

Dave

Have you tried shooting SAs with two hands and cocking the hammer with the off hand thumb?

Hondo44 said:
Heliman said:

Dave

Have you tried shooting SAs with two hands and cocking the hammer with the off hand thumb?

It is not the cocking, it is the rolling recoil. I have tried lots of grip holds to no avail.

Dave

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have a 40 S&W Vaquero and a Buckeye 38-40/10mm. I like them both but rarely shoot the Buckeye as I have no other guns in 38-40 or 10mm. The 40/likes my Dad's reloads with WST powder.

Three cylinders would be best. My vote would be for the smaller frame Flattop instead of the larger BlackHawk frame, stainless would also be my preference.

I'll buy one (maybe two :wink: )

32Magfan

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
Hondo44 said:
Heliman said:

Dave

It is not the cocking, it is the rolling recoil. I have tried lots of grip holds to no avail.

Dave

Dave,

That's a bummer, the advantage of the SA is the roll up in the hand to dissipate the shock from the hand and wrist. How about bobbing the hammer spur 1/2 way? Think that would do it. I've seen a few Super BHs with its low spur partially bobbed for the same reason.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
This is a gun I have wanted a long time too. Since then I had some financial setbacks (car accident and now I have kids in college) so I've sold off all my 40s I used to have but I still have 10mm Glocks. There are times that 40mm ammo is easier to find than other rounds and certainly it is cheaper than revolver ammo.

I always wanted a 5.5-inch Blackhawk convertible with two cylinders (40 and 10mm) and even though I have since sold my other 40s I would still buy one. The 10mm with heavy hardcasts is a potent round even if I like the fealing of having 15+1 of those in the Glock 21 while in bear country better than a 6-shot single action.

GarrettJ

Bearcat
Sorry about bringing up an old thread, but I've always liked the idea of a .40/10mm revolver. S&W offered them for a while, and where they apparently weren't the best sellers, they do seem to be somewhat in demand.

Likewise, I've always wanted one of the .38-40/10mm Buckeye Blackhawks. I just havent wanted one enough to pay the $1000+ price tag I usually see them listed for. I'm not all that excited about the .38-40 (but I'd still get a set of dies and work up some loads) but I've always been a suckered for a nice 10mm.

But then a cylinder chambered in .40 would be great for just fun shooting. For those who don't reload, it seems .40 ammo is always available, even during the last couple of ammo shortages. And for the reloaders, it seems there is always brass to be scrounge any time you go to the range. I've got a 5-gallon bucket of brass and started on another.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum.

Occasionally the 38-40/10MM Buckeye Blackhawks will show up for sale that have been fired and used which gets them down in the $750 range. Used 357 Blackhawk cyls can often be found on ebay, gunbroker, and the classified section of this forum. It would be a simple reaming to .40 cal.

GarrettJ said:
Sorry about bringing up an old thread, but I've always liked the idea of a .40/10mm revolver. S&W offered them for a while, and where they apparently weren't the best sellers, they do seem to be somewhat in demand.

Likewise, I've always wanted one of the .38-40/10mm Buckeye Blackhawks. I just havent wanted one enough to pay the $1000+ price tag I usually see them listed for. I'm not all that excited about the .38-40 (but I'd still get a set of dies and work up some loads) but I've always been a suckered for a nice 10mm.

But then a cylinder chambered in .40 would be great for just fun shooting. For those who don't reload, it seems .40 ammo is always available, even during the last couple of ammo shortages. And for the reloaders, it seems there is always brass to be scrounge any time you go to the range. I've got a 5-gallon bucket of brass and started on another.
We will beat you next time? :shock: :mrgreen: (sarcasm off). Welcome to the forum. In reality, posts years old get dragged out, the dust brushed off and rehashed in light of new developments. Good luck on finding your cats meow. We all have them. I accidently fell into a New Model BH, that was a shooter. Planned to just sell it, but then. 9 mm cylinder was bought, new grips, a holster. Yeah, I think I will keep it now. 8)
gramps

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I like the idea, although I hadn't thought of the .40 option. I just picked up a Herter's .401 Powermag in great shape, got a .357 Herters cylinder from Numrich, and plan to have it re-chambered to 10mm. 10 mm ammo isn't cheap, but it CAN be found, unlike .401. Might consider having a .401 cylinder re-chambered to .38-40 later.

Mike

Latest posts