Bear Gun is it good enough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpickar

Blackhawk
Just to keep you guys up to date.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/game-changers/thirteen-yards-one-second-why-you-can-never-outrun-charging-bear?dom=odl&loc=contentwell&lnk=thirteen-yards-in-one-second-why-you-can-never-outrun-a-charging-bear

The Bob Eder attack was so fast he wouldn't have had time for spray or gun. BPJ hit the nail on the head. Situational awareness is a must. Even walking around town in Anchorage, and on the Greenways one will run into black bear, grizzly, and moose. :shock: :oops:
gramps

larry237

Bearcat
I hike in Yellowstone a lot, and when visibility is limited by trees and terrain, I carry bear spray in my hand with the safety block removed, ready to spray. I try to make noise as I go along. Even drawing from a holster that is easily accessible takes too much time. I also carry a handgun as a backup. When I hike with others, usually someone always has the spray in hand and ready to fire. Like the sign says, bears frequent this area and your safety cannot be guaranteed. Like previously mentioned, awareness is critical. A lot of the people hiking in Yellowstone keep their bear spray safely in their packs. When I talk to other hikers, I try to convince them to keep the spray close at hand. If you feel that a handgun is a better bet, the same thing applies to them. Bears move fast.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Saw that posted on another site over the weekend, most people do not believe that a grizzly can outrun a race horse over a short distance. Bears move very fast.

Bear mauling victim, if you have a quesy stomach don't open.
http://s24.photobucket.com/user/drumdaddy/media/090D3DF3-8D1D-461F-AC7F-C5EDA563A578.png_zpsaclgw7js.jpeg.html Edited to add, this mauling victim is (corrected) the one in the story below. Picture at the bottom is the same guy (who is healing up) that is shown here.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160417/man-mauled-bear-near-denali-highway

Man mauled by bear near Denali Highway
Michelle Theriault Boots
April 17, 2016

A man was flown to a hospital Friday after being mauled by a bear near the Denali Highway, the Alaska State Troopers said Sunday.

Troopers were not releasing details such as the man's name or the severity of his injuries as of Sunday afternoon, according to troopers spokesman Tim DeSpain.

The man and at least one companion were in an area near Mile 68 of the Denali Highway on Friday when the attack happened. The circumstances of the mauling were not clear Sunday, but DeSpain said they may have been hunting.

The injured man was taken to the highway by snow machine, DeSpain said. A LifeMed helicopter flew him to further medical treatment.

A wildlife trooper was traveling to the area Saturday to investigate.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

This is the same guy in the picture above that is recovering pretty well.

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/drumdaddy/media/EC55E0A7-BB37-419F-9057-F6CAC8F0AA2C_zpsuaimquvo.jpg.html

this picture is less than a month AFTER the mauling. Amazing recovery.

Someone was questioning this and a guy who saw him had this to say: I can assure you the pictures are true. I don't know how those surgeons performed the miracle they did, as that is what it is, nothing short of a miracle. I was the first person to see the man, other than his hunting partner, after the attack. The date was april 15th. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life, as you can see from the pictures. He lost one eye, but can see out of the other. He is the toughest SOB I have ever known.
(new edit)
The guy that confirmed it was the same guy was the guy that picked him up after the incident in a helicopter to take him to the hospital. Apparently his face was not torn off but pulled down.

CraigC

Hawkeye
That's why folks traveling in bear country should arm themselves with the best tools possible. Nothing is guaranteed, all we can do is minimize risk and maximize our chances of survival.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Thats why I carry multiple guns and leave dead bears around. Usually if I see one in my comfort zone I kill it. I'm just that kinda despicable guy. The longest I've waited to return and recover my firearm is about two years.

JPickar, your post isn't valid until you've ran it past CraigC. :D

Live long and prosper.

jpickar

Blackhawk
LuckenbachTexas said:
Thats why I carry multiple guns and leave dead bears around. Usually if I see one in my comfort zone I kill it. I'm just that kinda despicable guy. The longest I've waited to return and recover my firearm is about two years.

JPickar, your post isn't valid until you've ran it past CraigC. :D

Live long and prosper.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

old greybeard

Bearcat
I thought he was with a dog. I run into alot of black bears. And they would have to get thru my hounds to get to me. Counting on them to give me time to get away or draw a weapon.

All dogs are not created equal. A man out walking with his German Shepard was jumped in Eagle River, Ak, several years back by a 900 lb Grizzly. The Griz was shot with an .454 Alaskan and expired at the man's feet-the dog met the man when he got home. Mine would do the same.
gramps

old greybeard

Bearcat
Before my coonhounds I had a Lab/German Sheperd mix. 95lbs of pheasant hunting, protective, groundhog killing, dog fighting muscle.
When we were foolish and used to fill our feeder at camp she'd put herself between us and the feeder at night whenever a bear came in. unlike my hounds she wouldn't chase them, but she had a low rumbling growl that kept them back and alerted us.
A good pair of dogs is a good first line of defense for most threats.

CraigC

Hawkeye
gramps said:
All dogs are not created equal. A man out walking with his German Shepard was jumped in Eagle River, Ak, several years back by a 900 lb Grizzly. The Griz was shot with an .454 Alaskan and expired at the man's feet-the dog met the man when he got home. Mine would do the same.
gramps
Most dogs are like that, even though people like to think otherwise.

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
I'm planning a bicycle trip in the Idaho panhandle in the next week or two. Bear spray AND my .454 Alaskan will be along for the ride.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
gramps said:
gramps

- the man was lucky to have a 454 Alaskan on-hand. Of course he is stone deaf now, and his wrist is healing well... :wink:

victor6

Bearcat
When using a handgun for bear protection it is critically important to file the front sight down. That way it'll hurt less when the bear shoves it up your @#$%.

Seriously, carry a 12 gauge if in bear country!