Single Six S/N 3007XX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have been offered the Magnum only SS. It has walnut grip panels and no eagle logo on the barrel. My reference indicates it should have the eagle logo on the barrel??? Also, were the walnut grips available from the factory on first year SS's? 95% condition. Thanks, Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Guide, the RSSMW, magnum marked, XR3 grip frame, no eagle logo on the barrel, magnum cylinder w/o the firing pin groove, (W standing for walnut grips,) are from serial number 300000 to 335781.
Sounds like the one are being offered is correct.

Dantforth said:
I have been offered the Magnum only SS. It has walnut grip panels and no eagle logo on the barrel. My reference indicates it should have the eagle logo on the barrel??? Also, were the walnut grips available from the factory on first year SS's? 95% condition. Thanks, Dave
Sounds like a nice buy. Does it have the box with it?

Dantforth

Blackhawk
To answer Fox Mike's question. No, it does not have the box with it. I have looked at the RENE price guide and I think I have offered a fair price. I will find out this evening for sure. Fingers crossed but I have been down this road before!!

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well Kevin, buying a long gun is easy. You have to have a license to purchase any firearm or ammunition. So, for long guns you just show your license and walk away with whatever you are buying. Restricted and prohibited firearms are a different kettle of fish. You must have the endorsement on your license to buy these. Prohibited......and these are mostly handguns with barrels four inches or shorter and others in .32 calibre. Some military type firearms also fit into this category....long guns.....by virtue of an "Order in Counsel" from our government. Many years ago they quit giving out endorsements for these so those of us who have it are "grandfathered"..... which means that we can buy and sell but when we die they will be handed in for destruction unless you will them to another grandfathered license. The youngest of those with this designation are in their fifties. Confused yet?
All other handguns and some long guns are restricted class. New firearms owners can still obtain a designation on their license for these. There is no such thing as a carry permit here so these are either kept at your residence or can be transported to a range as long as you are a member.
So, in a nutshell, that is it. Because of these rules or regulations hanguns and particularly prohibited handguns sell for much less money than they would in the USA. As an example, I have two Bearcats...early models with boxes...which are in 95% or higher condition. Both are prohibited due to 4 inch barrels. Bringing $200.00 to $300.00 here. As recently as yesterday I started the process to jump through the hoops to export these to the USA. By exporting I will avoid having them destroyed when I die and I will also gain a dollar advantage. Long post but I hope this helps answer your question. David

Thanks for the explanation of Canadian gun buying. It kind of sounds like they want to slowly remove all "restricted and prohibited" guns from circulation. I can see you wanting to export them for sale. Good luck with that.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I bought it. Still has the original box of 22 magnums with it....missing six. I will be happy have it. It fits nicely in my modest collection. Now to find a box. Were the boxes generic or specifically marked for the Magnum? With that serial number would it be classed as a three digit gun?

street

Hunter
The box that you need will be a 2 piece box with SINGLE-SIX on the end. The catalog number will be RSSM, and it will say 6 1/2 in. bl. This will all be on the end label. Yes most collectors will call it a 3 digit gun as the Mag. marked Single-Sixes started at serial number 300,000.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, it has arrived. Other than a feint turn line it is almost 100%. I am so pleased. I wanted to post photos here but photobucket is not accepting my uploads. I have a note in to ask them what is happening. I have advertised here for a correct box. I expect they are like hens teeth but must try. Finally! had to upload from my Ipad and then copy and paste on my desktop. Crazy but it worked.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. I just finished a thorough cleaning. No evidence that it was ever fired. Some lube, which I think may be factory assembly lube, in the nooks and crannies. No rings on the front end of the cylinder. I guess I will send a request for a factory letter. Wish I could find a box for it. Hard to believe that someone kept it in this fine shape all these years and threw the box away? David

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have already done that. Put a WTB on this morning. I also called Ruger customer service. They advise that this revolver predates any model number information they have but they were able to tell me it left the factory in July 1959. So, while I assume the walnut grips were original from the factory, I have no difinitive proof.

street

Hunter
Dantforth said:
I have already done that. Put a WTB on this morning. I also called Ruger customer service. They advise that this revolver predates any model number information they have but they were able to tell me it left the factory in July 1959. So, while I assume the walnut grips were original from the factory, I have no difinitive proof.

Looking at Dougans book 'KNOW YOUR RUGER SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS 1953-63". The distributor price sheet, effective April 10, 1959. It only shows RSSM. The next distributor's list dated Jan. 4, 1960 list both RSSMR and RSSMW. Looking at that I would assume that the first RSSM's had the hard rubber black grips and after Jan 1960, Ruger started listing Walnut grips and Rubber grips, thus the R for "Rubber" and the W for "Walnut". As your gun was shipped in July 1959 it probably had Hard Rubber Black Grips. Of course it's just a guess on my part.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Street. I believe the walnuts have the correct medallions for tha 1959 date. Also, when I talked to the customer service rep at Ruger he said they came with either but walnut was special order from the factory. Either way!! Maybe someone else will chime in who has a similar era one also with walnut grip panels. I am a happy camper either way.
PS - just searched my Rene Guide again and found this "The earliest known RSSMW is S/N 311462 and has a one line....WITH WALNUT GRIPS....sticker on the end of the box. So, that may settle it and apparently you are correct. Just going on the history I have of the Magnum I have the original owner thinks it came with the walnuts but, like so many of us, he is aging and his memory is not so good.