I've never seen a broken hinge on a Ruger case

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CCW

Bearcat
How many times would you have to open and close a Ruger plastic case before the hinge broke?

Have you ever had one break?

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I have plastic cases for a P97, a P90 and a Standard Mk III. After purchase all three have been opened once ...... Take pistol out, close case, put pistol in gun sock, put case in closet. The plastic case takes up too much room in the safe. 8)

Guess that's the way I was 'raised'. Dad always did the same. The box is stored separately. If you look in his garage ..... he still has the box for the Sherwood stereo he bought in 1963!

The stereo is long gone .....

whichwatch

Blackhawk
CCW said:
How many times would you have to open and close a Ruger plastic case before the hinge broke?

Since I wasted 15 seconds of my life by reading this asinine post that I will never get back let me waste 15 seconds of yours, does anyone REALLY care??

whichwatch said:
Since I wasted 15 seconds of my life by reading this asinine post that I will never get back let me waste 15 seconds of yours, does anyone REALLY care??
Obviously the person asking the question cares. The only asinine post I have seen is the one I am quoting.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
CCW said:

Good question. I don't know, I never broke one and I use them for storage and transportation all the time. I have felt lined the inside of several to cushion the gun inside.

...on a similar note I have broken the plastic hinge on the plastic Lee die holder case several times and had to repair them with a duct tape hinge. :D

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Fox Mike said:
whichwatch said:
Obviously the person asking the question cares. The only asinine post I have seen is the one I am quoting.

I have better and more important things to care about, why? Because I HAVE A LIFE! I have noticed that this forum especially has more stupid s*&t posted on it than any other forum.

CCW

Bearcat
whichwatch, I asked that question because I actually do use my plastic cases for storage however, if constant usage is going to break the hinge I'll probably store the factory cases and put the guns on racks, or in silicone socks. It may have seemed like a stupid post to you but I was hoping for an answer from someone who has been down that road.

PS: I have a pretty good life, I think so anyway

NikA

Buckeye
There are certain grades of plastic that are designed for hinge life (not infinite, but thousands of uses). I haven't looked at the labeling on Ruger's boxes recently but they feel to me like they are one of those plastics. Older Lee die boxes are definitely not. I have noticed that Ruger's more recent plastic boxes seem thinner to me than the older ones, but that may be lot-to-lot variation in manufacturing. If they are thinner, there is likely less material in the hinge section, which would affect the hinge life.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
CCW said:
whichwatch, I asked that question because I actually do use my plastic cases for storage however, if constant usage is going to break the hinge I'll probably store the factory cases and put the guns on racks, or in silicone socks. It may have seemed like a stupid post to you but I was hoping for an answer from someone who has been down that road.

PS: I have a pretty good life, I think so anyway

The key word here is storage, just how many time a day do you plan on opening/closing the lid?? To me, storage does not translate to constant usage.

I remember back in the day, the mid-sixties...One of the tackle box companies released a tackle box with no conventional-mechanical hinges. Similar if not identical construction to the modern Ruger boxes. Their claim was this new tackle box hinge was guaranteed to withstand one-million openings. I've had many of them, as well as many of the Ruger (and other) boxes. The only one that I ever saw legitimately fail was a shotgun shell box, marketed by Smith and Wesson. And it wasn't the hinge itself, but one of the latches that was the same construction as the hinge.

Called a "living hinge", they are still advertised to withstand a million openings. Here's everything you ever wanted to know. :mrgreen: https://revpart.com/living-hinge-design-guide/

WAYNO.

Chief

Single-Sixer
I use a lot of the MTM ammo boxes and have never had on of those break. Something made of plastic isn't always bad.

schloss

Single-Sixer
The plastic used for the storage cases and tackle boxes and such is designed specifically for flexibility. These hinge types are supposed to go through thousands upon thousands of cycles without problems. However, that incredible service life in s based on perfect combination conditions. So, no extra stuff stuck by the hinge trying to rip it, you're not opening and closing it in the cold, your wife isn't dropping it or dropping stuff on it, etc. etc.

I also don't think they're much good for everyday usage. All my stuff goes in a safe with plenty of opportunity for air movement around it. I've never broken one, but I've only opened and closed mine 2 or 3 times.

Plastic is so different these days. It's incredible how it can be so thin yet you can't break it or tear it. I'm thinking of stuff from say Wal Mart. I don't use my factory boxes at all, but I can see them lasting a really long time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger would replace a box based on a broken hinge either.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have wondered the same thing, not a dumb question at all IMHO. The hinges on my coleman cooler lids seem to be made similar yet broke in a week.

I agree plastic has come a long way, but it is also a blind item, you really have no way to predict how something will last, because you don't know what plastic was really used.

I store my guns in their factory boxes, but do not take them to the range in the boxes. I have never had a hinge failure.

s4s4u

Hunter
whichwatch said:
Fox Mike said:
whichwatch said:

I have better and more important things to care about, why? Because I HAVE A LIFE! I have noticed that this forum especially has more stupid s*&t posted on it than any other forum.

You read the title, and yet still opened the thread even though you read the title. The title pretty well explained the thread contents and yet you still opened the thread, only to complain of it's contents. Nobody forced you to open the thread. Do you really HAVE A LIFE? Makes me wonder......

As to the OP. I have never had a hinge break on a Ruger box either and some do get used fairly often. Doesn't seem such stupid s*&t to me.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Whichwatch, if you think this was a dumb thread do yourself a favor and never go to RugerForum. Net. By the way like others I only open the box one time and remove gun.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have wondered this same thing myself, ( does that make me a a$$ of nines ? ) I carry revolvers to the range in cases when I go and carry several. It helps protect them. If you decided to sell one it would bring a higher price with original box and paper work, provided the box was in good shape ( no broken hinges ect ) I have a couple of the hard plastic cases that a friend gave me that I use, but sometimes I have to use originals due to number of revolvers being transported.