When did Ruger................

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When did Ruger start using the "collared" base pin?

Gent over on the Colt Forum posted two photos of early .44 Magnum Blackhawks, Flat Tops, one 6 1/2" and the other 7 1/2", both have the collared base pins.

Bob Wright

BoggusDeal

Bearcat
Bob,
The 1959 10" 44 I just sold has a collared pin. As far as I can tell, everything is original on the gun.

street

Hunter
Per RENE starting at serial number 8631 for the collar base pin. Those before that number do not have the collar on them. Of course there is no set number when one starts and one begins. I think this is the earliest number found with a collared base pin.

Hondo44 said:
Not uncommon to have anomalies like this.

Some late FT 44s and 22 Lightweigt 2nds were shipped with XR3-RED grip frames instead of XR3s.

Exactly. There are many such instances where "out of the normal range" components show up. Many of these are potentially legitimate "variations" but are not documentable because such details do not appear in the company records. Just makes for interesting conversation pieces.

:mrgreen:

chet15

Hawkeye
Exactly #2!! I just had a 27xxx range BKH47 reported that was shipped in 1967. I hope to submit pics of this owner's new find in the next ROCS Digest, especially since that issue is going to feature .44 flattops.
You should see the interesting hodgepodge of .44 parts that are on this gun!
Chet15

SAJohn

Hunter
Just to confirm the confusion, I have a .44 FT #18xx with a collared basepin and a .357 FT #270xx without the collar. I also have a few aftermarket uncollared pins.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No confusion, the collared base pins were only made in the long, large frame size, so 357 old model and new model flat tops (which are mid frames) never came with the collared base pin. And even if they're shortened they won't fit either because of the closeness of the base pin hole to the barrel.