LCRX for the trail

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Do some hiking and lots of camping in the mountains, I'm thinking the LCRX is about perfect for weight, power and versatility in the lower 48. Any experience out there for this setup? I do reload and use 170gr lead and Unique mostly.

Jim Puke

Hunter
ftlupton said:
Do some hiking and lots of camping in the mountains, I'm thinking the LCRX is about perfect for weight, power and versatility in the lower 48. Any experience out there for this setup? I do reload and use 170gr lead and Unique mostly.

I would wait and see if Ruger brings out the 3" barrel version in .357...that would be a great lightweight trail gun, in my opinion. I would rather have it than the current model in .38spec. JMO

I have both the short fixed sight LCRx and the 3" adjustable sight LCRx. I carry the 3" with me in the woods quite often. It is very handy. Ruger has stated that they are bringing out a 357 version soon if you want more power.

I agree with the other guys. I'd want something with a little more ooomph to it. 357mag, to me is minimum in the woods. There are even a few moose in Colorado I'm told, they can be a bugger if you run into a cow and calf. Lots of things bite and kick. You know where you go but for me 357 is the minimum, with good bullets.

I have both a LCR and LCRx. I prefer the LCRx, and I do really like mine. I think the biggest, if not the only draw to these is that they are so extremely small and light. So to me, the shortest barrel is the most appropriate. If I was wanting a 3" version, then the SP101 makes more sense, to me. And in .357, the SP101 makes even more sense, as the LCR or LCRx, even in .38+P, is quite snappy. Having one chambered in .357 would make for a gun that wouldn't get shot very much, other than when loaded with .38's :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
The more I think about it the more the SP makes more sense, had a couple several years ago, sold them for no good reason of course. I have had one run in with a momma moose but I left real quick and she backed off. Thanks for the ideas, all good, I have a NV in .357, a Bearcat, and wife has the old LCR so an SP would feel right at home.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I love how light it is. Don't even know its on your hip. I feel adequately protected with .38 +P's in it. I'm usually more concerned about the 2 legged critters than the 4 legged ones. If I was in grizzly country then I'd carry my .45 Colt Blackhawk with some stout loads.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think it's a great option for woods carry, unless you are in griz country that is. A 357 mag version would be nice, but also a bit heavier. Around here in northern MN I wouldn't feel undergunned with 38+P

I'm strongly thinking of getting a 3" LCRX next, but if Ruger is coming out with one in 357Mag I am willing to wait for some months.
38+P is fine for >90% of what I'm going to encounter, but covering some more of that remaining 10%, or just giving me the flexibility to use longer bullets in 357 brass would also be a very good thing.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Have shot wife's LCR with some +p loads and it was not a pleasant experience, at least on the range. My 170gr flat nose loads with Unique should have quite a bite for anything we encounter locally, still deciding, LCR is light and handy, SP is heavier but more power.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I think it would be a perfectly good choice, other than in areas where you're likely to encounter grizzly bears.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Heliman said:
If you can control a light weight 357, then go for the LCRx. I personally at the minimum would carry a snubbie Security/Speed Six or Smith 19/66. JMO...

Dave

I agree, and I would add the SP101 3-1/16" model. Any of these are very nice guns and more controllable.

That's an acceptable choice too! Thanks Marlin.

Dave

Latest posts