Stainless Blackhawk 357?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Ok , advice from the collective brain ,,,, again.
This time I'm seeing a stainless 357, 4 5/8th inch in what seems to be a fullsized Blackhawk at the LGS. I am not use to seeing these in stainless so it struck me as a little odd. Is that a regular production gun ? Not a convertible , not a flat top just a regular ole Blackhawk. Pricing would be about $450. out the door and it looks unfired .

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
Mine is from 1977 ....

IMG_2258%20copy_zpsds4cfrf5.jpg

schloss

Single-Sixer
It's normal. The stainless ones are usually tough to find. And that's a great price. It is a catalogued item, although I never see them in stores. Took me 6 years to find my stainless 45.

If it's what you're after, you better go back and buy it.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I've never been a fan of stainless. Another SA I inherited from Dear-Ol-Dad is a Virginian Dragoon .... 44 Mag., 7.5" barrel. A real beast.

Stainless is growin' on me!

Bad cell phone Pic of "The Beast"

VirDragSS%20copy_zpsvacbzwij.jpeg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
It makes sense it would be regular production . I mean the ever popular 357 has such broad appeal it's a natural . Yet I never really noticed them . I think this one is fairly new as it has the black plastic grips.
Thanks to all for taking the time.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Lngstrt said:
Mine is from 1977 ....

IMG_2258%20copy_zpsds4cfrf5.jpg

Mine is identical, but from 1976 with Liberty stamp. These are tough to find, especially the short barreled versions. I'd jump at $450 even though I already have one!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Highstandardguy said:
I don't know what you're used to shooting, but you'll probably find the recoil very mild with the heavy frame. I like mine.

Funny, that's the first thing I noticed.
They say they weigh the same but stainless always feel heavier to me in a comparable gun. Probable more about the big gun, small hole thing.
O Yeah , It's still eating at my brain.

schloss

Single-Sixer
The 357's are considerably heavier than the 45's due to that.

My wife swears that stainless feels heavier, too. I think it's a mental perception deal. Scales don't lie very often. I think most people assume it will feel lighter, which makes it feel heavier, psychologically. Also, the stainless Blackhawks have a steel grip frame, whereas the blued Blackhawks have an aluminum grip frame, so the balance changes some. Impacts the feel, as well.

Even though its "regular production," don't count on seeing another one too soon. The new vaqueros are easy to find, but not so with the Blackhawk.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Yes--great revolver. Everyone raves about how strong and desirable the 357 redhawks are, but the 357 blackhawk is just as stout. Practically impossible to blow up due to the heavy frame and thick walled cylinder. I have one and it is scary accurate--making for quite a fun wheelgun!

Ron

needsmostuff said:
Highstandardguy said:
I don't know what you're used to shooting, but you'll probably find the recoil very mild with the heavy frame. I like mine.

Funny, that's the first thing I noticed.
They say they weigh the same but stainless always feel heavier to me in a comparable gun. Probable more about the big gun, small hole thing.
O Yeah , It's still eating at my brain.

If you wait too long your brain and the revolver will be gone. :shock:

k22fan

Blackhawk
That is a good price. The frame is large for the cartridge because Ruger had dropped the mid frame. The new Flat Top mid frame might make better sense. My 6 1/2" stainless .357 large frame BH feels very different that my old model .357 BH. I'd decide how heavy a revolver I wanted first then select the model.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Mine's a 1979 vintage one, further gunsmithed by Ruger after I got it. It's a magnificent gun, and I plan on deer hunting with it this fall. I really like the .44 Magnum frame with these stainless .357 Blackhawks. If you go with the simile of all Rugers being tanks, this one must be a King Tiger, but the balance and recoil absorption are superb.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/132806-stainless-new-model-357-9mm-4-6-blackhawk.html

As mentioned, they're not often seen NIB, although they're an active catalog item. I'd jump on it ASAP, if you haven't already.

Best, Jon

lfpiii

Blackhawk
schloss said:
It's normal. The stainless ones are usually tough to find. And that's a great price. It is a catalogued item, although I never see them in stores. Took me 6 years to find my stainless 45.

If it's what you're after, you better go back and buy it.

Hard to find that is news to me. LGS have them like new all the time for about 275-300. Picked up a 4-5/8 for 250 circa 2000 in 2012 and a 1978 6-1/2 with box for 325 in 2014.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Interestingly I bought Skeeter Skeltons from his widow when she was selling a bunch of his guns to pay medical expenses. I believe it is a liberty model. Also had a blued 9mm cylinder fitted. After factory.