Heads up--'nother run of non catalogued SP's at Davidsons.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I check the "gungenie" at least once a week to see if Ruger has delivered any new, non catalogued guns. Lately there has been quite a few. Now, they got one I have been looking for and it's "on sale" too. Doesn't seem to be much of a discount thru any of their Denver dealers, but I gotta have one. If I recall correctly, the 38 3" use to be a line item that was dropped in favor of just offering the magnum version.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=5739-RUG&utm_source=icontact&utm_medium=email&utm_content=500&utm_campaign=product_spotlight

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Maybe it's just me but I see no benefit in a .38 Special-only version of a revolver that can be chambered in .357 Mag. You can always shoot .38 Specials in any .357 gun so what's the attraction? Why limit the gun that way?

I can see it in a target-quality revolver where the shorter chamber may give slightly better accuracy but the SP-101 is certainly not a competitive bullseye gun.

hittman

Staff member
There's one for sale right here on this forum .... and considerably cheaper.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=228676

22bond

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Maybe it's just me but I see no benefit in a .38 Special-only version of a revolver that can be chambered in .357 Mag. You can always shoot .38 Specials in any .357 gun so what's the attraction? Why limit the gun that way?

I can see it in a target-quality revolver where the shorter chamber may give slightly better accuracy but the SP-101 is certainly not a competitive bullseye gun.

I have the same question too - unless it becomes a collectible down the line when only a few is made.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I've always felt the same about the GP100 38 specials, but some folks love them.

wolfee

Blackhawk
From a functional perspective, you're right, there is no difference. But, if I only intend to shoot 38's I prefer a gun chambered, and marked, for what I shoot--38. And, yes, my GP is a 38 only as well. And, if you want to split the hair far enough, you could probably identify a fps or two velocity loss because of the extra volume the gas has to fill in a magnum chamber. Also, SAAMI specs for the case head are not identical as is commonly believed. Go to their website and you will see the case rim thickness is .001 different. Use to be .002 but they changed the 38 a thousandth. I suspect they use the same numbers for chamber dimensions though.

btw, as most old timers here can tell you, just about any mention of an SP or GP chambered 38 always triggers a few "boy is that dumb" comments. And, as usual, I take the bait and reply.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
wolfee said:
.btw, as most old timers here can tell you, just about any mention of an SP or GP chambered 38 always triggers a few "boy is that dumb" comments. And, as usual, I take the bait and reply.
I'm glad I was able to keep your string going!!

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I believe Ruger also changes the twist from 1:16" (357) to 1:18.75" for 38 Special only. Not sure that make a lot of difference, but it is a difference.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Dennis, the GP 100's are still marked 1:18.75 at the Ruger website. But, that may not mean much. Dunno why they have so much trouble figuring out what the twist is but sometimes they do weird stuff--like mark the fired case envelopes of SR1911's as "1:10 twist". In fact the guns are actually the more normal 1:16. I believe the single action 357's are all correctly marked as 1:16 which is what the guns are. My GP is 1:18.75. I have always assumed that the ONLY diff between a GP 38 and GP 357 is .135 of chamber length. Otherwise either gun could have been built for either caliber.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
Dennis, the GP 100's are still marked 1:18.75 at the Ruger website. But, that may not mean much. Dunno why they have so much trouble figuring out what the twist is but sometimes they do weird stuff--like mark the fired case envelopes of SR1911's as "1:10 twist". In fact the guns are actually the more normal 1:16. I believe the single action 357's are all correctly marked as 1:16 which is what the guns are. My GP is 1:18.75. I have always assumed that the ONLY diff between a GP 38 and GP 357 is .135 of chamber length. Otherwise either gun could have been built for either caliber.
Blackhawk,

Maybe it is something historical from back in the black powder days? My SP101 3.06" revolver shoots well either way.

One of Ruger's newer 38 special only guns, the LCRx with a 3" barrel, has the 1:18.75" twist rate so it is something that they appear to do intentionally.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Dennis, can you do the "cleaning rod measurement" thing and confirm 1:18.75? Ruger website shows the 2" LCRx with a 1/16 and the 3" with the 18.75/1. Maybe they think the higher velocity of the 3" doesn't need a faster twist, but I don't believe anything Ruger publishes about twists until I MEASURE it.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
Dennis, can you do the "cleaning rod measurement" thing and confirm 1:18.75? Ruger website shows the 2" LCRx with a 1/16 and the 3" with the 18.75/1. Maybe they think the higher velocity of the 3" doesn't need a faster twist, but I don't believe anything Ruger publishes about twists until I MEASURE it.
I can't say I've ever done the cleaning rode measurement thing. In any case, I don't have an LCRx, I only reported the twist rate as stated on the Ruger website.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I don't think it's "dumb" to make a .38 special only revolver. I'm certainly not wanting to bait anyone. I do want to learn more about revolvers. That having been said, my first reaction, honestly, was "what's the point?"

Making a revolver that shoots both .357 magnum and .38 special, or .44 magnum and .44 special, seems to have lots of up side, and very little down side.

wolfee

Blackhawk
ditto, your logic is sound and you are correct about the "need" for both. But, keep in mind that some of us (me) are not cops, war fighters, hand gun hunters, competitive target shooters, or in my case, don't even keep a handgun at the ready for personal defense. Shooting is just my hobby. We just like to PLAY WITH THE BLOODY THINGS. And, if it makes me happy to have all my Ruger revolvers marked 38 instead of a magnum, that's what they will be. There is one (very) small consideration to keep in mind when buying a magnum with the intention of shooting both loads. That is, the 38 special has a bit more than 1/8" of surplus chamber in front of the case mouth when fired in a magnum chamber. This part of the chamber gets blasted real good with each round fired. Over time the powder residue can build up here and the metal itself can get roughened. Unless you keep the chambers IMPECCABLY clean, it can lead to some stickiness when ejecting the magnum cases. This happens because the magnum case, near the mouth, is pressed into the rough area of the chamber where the 38 rounds have been fire blasting the metal.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I picked up a new 38 special from a dealer for 465.00. It has a fired case from 2013, I guess no one wanted it so it sat, but I was happy to get it. It has the shorter barrel not the 3 inch.

Jim

hittman

Staff member
CDNN has these now too for about $450.00.

Am I the only one who sees that Gun Genie as one of the HIGHEST places around to buy guns?

NikA

Buckeye
MSRP is listed on Gun Genie. Whether or not a particular model will be priced anything close to that depends on desirability and availability. Rugers tend to be a good bit less than Ruger's stated MSRP.

pavementends1

Bearcat
wolfee said:
I think it would be difficult to measure a 18.75/1 twist with a cleaning rod in a 3" barrel. Explain please.
Pavementends

hittman

Staff member
NikA said:
MSRP is listed on Gun Genie.

Unless you ask for a quote which in my area, has these listed in the $575 to $650 range. :shock:

NikA

Buckeye
Never done that before. I always search the model number plus keywords on Google. Here in central OH, prices were from 510-570. Perhaps the problem is Illinois? Shops in less gun-friendly parts of the country always seem to think they can get more because it's "so difficult" to bring in guns from other states... like the 500$ used police trade-in S&W revolvers on GB from NYS.