Heads up--'nother run of non catalogued SP's at Davidsons.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mark

Bearcat
I want one. Personally I think getting one in .357 is akin to buying your shoes two sizes too big in case someone else wants to wear them. I'm never going to shoot .357 in an SP. I have a perfectly good GP100.

My only problem, after a recently purchased Redhawk, I hesitate to buy any Ruger without closely inspecting it first.

Has anyone actually gotten one of these Davidson's guns and can comment on fit and finish?

wolfee

Blackhawk
pavementends, it does take a bit of math to do it but the process is this:
Insert the rod into the barrel until you have just engaged the rifling with the patch. Then put a tiny mark on the rod at as close to the 12 o'clock position as you can get. Then put another mark on the rod just as the patch emerges. Without any measuring equipment, you will just be eyeballing how much of a 360 turn the rod took. But, consider that in 3" barrel a 1:18.75 twist will have moved about 3/18.75 of a complete turn and a 1:16 will have moved about 3/16 of a complete turn. This is probably too small a difference to eyeball but then, it is probably too small of a difference to matter! I am starting to wish I had never brought the issue up!

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
It certainly would make an excellent gun for IDPA's Back-Up Gun (BUG) division...especially if you like .38 Special vs. .357 Magnum.

Best, Jon

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I hear from the 44 Special fanboys that it is lighter and handier than a 44 Magnum. Those are real world considerations. Is there a weight difference in the SP101? not enuf to go 38's?

The only solo 38 Special that I own that I love is my Colt Diamondback. It is perfect in every way so I except the 38 special. I also have an 8" S&W model 15 that is near and dear to my heart. Everything else follows the "give me a choice" philosophy and are 357 mags.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Glad to see another special-only. I too hate trying to clean the blast rings out of a Magnum chamber. In fact I hate it so much I have 357s that never see 38 brass and one 357 that never sees 357 ammo!

If I had to do it over again my SP101 would have been a 38 special. Being available with a 3" barrel makes it even more tempting.