The Magnum (an intimidating term)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
http://www.classicgunstoday.com/?p=222

Remember when simply hearing "it's a magnum" got your attention?

I had the pleasure of working with a former Texas Sheriff's Deputy a few years ago that carried a Ruger Service Six. Wasn't too impressed with 9mm Semi-Automatics and heavily valued shot placement.

(this is a blog I started to attract interest in classic inexpensive used firearms that we all enjoy among more mainstream people that don't know what's beyond Bass Pro and Academy's shelves)

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Right off the bat I am hi-jacking this thread because the term Magnum had me laughing.

Back in the 70's when the term Magnum became wide spread, While in the USN, I was sitting through a standard military STD lecture prior to deployment. The Nurse was talking about condoms and proper use, how to put them on, etc. Some guy in the back hollered out that they don't come in "magnum size because his "gun" was a magnum. After the laughter died down, the nurse calmly pick a condom up off the table, unwrapped, then pulled the biggest damn zucchini you have ever seen and slid the condom right down over it like it was nothing. Total Silence, She then asked the audience if the individual had the stones to come forth and see if he really was a magnum or just a loudmouth, Again Silence. The nurse then continued her lecture and the loudmouth quietly slithered out to try and avoid the forth coming humiliation.

Sorry I had to hi-jack this but The magnum term just brings back funny memories sometimes

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The land speed record currently standing is nearly 20 times faster than the first recorded land speed record a hundred years prior. The faster we learn to go, the faster we strive to go.

Given ~50-80yrs since the first development of the mainstay 357, 41, and 44 magnums, there's been plenty of time for "speed freaks" to work on the latest and greatest, and more and more time for the green eyed demons to possess more and more guys at the range to go out and buy something bigger than the other guy...

I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone - I started shooting a 44mag when I was 7yrs old, less than a decade later I was placing an order for a custom .475 Linebaugh, wanting more power, and within a few years of that, I wanted more range, so I built a custom XP100 in 7-08... I spent nearly a quarter century weeding out different cartridges for deer hunting looking for the perfect magnum or super-magnum... Time and time passed since then my handgun fleet is dominated by super-magnums and accented with long range specialty pistols...

The 44magnum is still as potent as it ever was, but the expectation and perception by most of us shooters have changed...

don44

Hunter
Varminterror said:
The 44magnum is still as potent as it ever was, but the expectation and perception by most of us shooters have changed...

How true that is !