NMBH .30 Carbine Malfunction ... (?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I know the answer to this but .....

I have a 1979 vintage BH in .30 carbine. My Dad last fired it in '09-ish and I don't recall him mentioning any issues ..... other than the Wolf black box ammo sticking in the chambers.

Now as I am looking it over .... when I open the loading gate .... the cylinder rotates freely ... no clicky sounds .... in both directions!!! :shock:

And now I notice that the cylinder does not rotate when cocked ..... RATS!!!

I suspect a trip to .... North Carolina (??) is in order.

Unless someone can recommend a 'smith in the Phoenix area.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Any real gunsmith should be able to get it going easy enough . No real need to ship it to the mothership , their just not that complicated. Too bad your not in Tucson we could get it going in no time .
Or sell it to me,,,I love broke Rugers.
Lifter/hand spring kind of thing maybe.

BoggusDeal

Bearcat
I would bet the pivot pin on the pawl is broken off. Bob James at Legendary Guns on 19th Street could fix it up, I am sure.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
Well .........

I also find that if I cock the hammer while the muzzle is pointed up ..... the cylinder doesn't turn.

Muzzle down .... turns fine. :-(

Haven't been in Legendary in 20-ish years. Used to work a couple miles east of them in the Guild Camera Shop. Now I'm in North Snottsdale .... a 30 mile round trip from Legendary ... and that light rail mess :)

BoggusDeal

Bearcat
Lngstrt said:
Well .........

I also find that if I cock the hammer while the muzzle is pointed up ..... the cylinder doesn't turn.

Muzzle down .... turns fine. :-(

Haven't been in Legendary in 20-ish years. Used to work a couple miles east of them in the Guild Camera Shop. Now I'm in North Snottsdale .... a 30 mile round trip from Legendary ... and that light rail mess :)

That sounds like your pawl plunger and spring are stuck, broken or missing.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Your pawl works fine, you proved that with the gravity test. You have a pawl spring problem. No need for a gunsmith.

It can be a missing pawl spring, bent spring or spring installed backwards; all very common and extremely easy to fix. If it's missing, this is the kind of part Ruger will ship you for free if you call them: (336-949-5200)

Pull the grip frame off first:

Factory Videos: Good New Model Ruger disassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

NM Reassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEKDqwkgEs&feature=related

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
The pawl plunger and spring arrived on Saturday. That was just 4 days from phone call to mail box!!

Just now took a minute ... actually about half an hour! .... and installed them. The old plunger was in there but with about 8 pounds of dried oil !!! Almost like cosmoline. Pushed old plunger out, cleaned out the channel with alcohol, put new in and reassembled.

The worst part was the main spring kept wanting to fall out. "how's that go in?" ... Ruger.com for schematic ..... all is OK now.

One .30 Carbine, NMBH with 7.5" barrel up and running !!!

This gun-smith-ery stuff is easy. :mrgreen:

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Well done and thank you for coming back and making this thread a complete lesson.