FIrst Vaquero Six-Shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brentonguy85

Bearcat
This is my first time posting on this forum. Glad to be here. I am planning on purchasing my first six shooter! Originally, I had planned to get a Colt SAA but after doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that I would be just as happy if not more happy with a Vaquero. They seem more durable and I don't have a need for a safe "queen". I have an older stainless Police Service Six and I love it! It's a rock of a gun.

Here's my dilemma: I don't know which Vaquero to get. It seems with guns nothings ever simple anymore. lol I really like the sheriff's model barrel length but I tend to sway towards blued guns although that is not a requirement. I'm not into cowboy action shooting.. mostly this would be my personal gun for fun and possibly carry. I have the opportunity to get either an old model blued sheriff vaquero with a cch case in .45LC or a new "Montado" in stainless .357mag. I am unsure which way to go as I have concerns about the color case issues I've read about in the old blued vaquero models. I also had been looking at the .45acp Talo birdshead in blue, which I really liked but I can't stand birdshead grips so that one is likely a no-go. Which one would you choose and why? Thought I would come here to ask the experts! Thanks for the help!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The Vaquero,,, vs the New Vaquero,,, vs a Blackhawk. (Yes,,, I'm throwing in the Blackhawk for a reason.)
The Vaqueros do not have adjustable sights. Depending upon ammo & sight regulation,,, it can make a difference. For a first SA revolver,,, you MAY want to look at a Blackhawk so you can use a lot of different ammo & regulate the sights easier.
Now, the Vaqueros. The original Vaqueros are on the same frame size as the Blackhawks. The New Vaqueros are the mid-frame size,,, meaning they are slightly smaller & lighter. AND, the NV's can NOT use the "Ruger Only" reloads. But they handle & feel good.

Calibers,,,. Many folks truly enjoy a lot of different calibers for different reasons. For a first one,,, I'd truly say a milder caliber such as the 357 to help you learn more about handling one. For versatility,,, IF,,,, IF,,, you reload,,, is the 45 Colt. But again, in the full sized frame design such as the original Vaquero or the Blackhawk.
Grip design. Plow handle,, Bisley, or Birds Head. Plow handle is the most common, and excellent. In heavier recoiling guns,,, the Bisley gets the nod for more people. The Birds Head is not as comfortable in heavier calibers for many. But most importantly,,, it has to fit YOUR hands & be comfortable to YOU!
The faux color case blued guns are nice,,, but realize that it is just a coloring. It can wear off, and can rust easier for some folks due to the acidity of their hands & the environment.

All this boils down to a little info to allow you to consider features to find a gun you will enjoy.
If I were to recommend a SA as your first foray into them,,, I'd opt for a 357 mag Blackhawk. You will have a firearm that can shoot 38 spl ammo AND 357 mag ammo. Reloading is inexpensive in general,,, and allows more versatility. The adjustable sights allow you to adjust the gun to your choice of ammo easily. With the plow handle,,, it fits many folks easily too.

Just a few of my thoughts.

BUT,,, you should try & find someone who has a selection you can test fire to see what YOU prefer,,, and then make an educated decision based upon all that.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
Contender gave many good points to consider, but since you already own a fixed sight revolver in 357 (Police Service Six) the most logical choice of your three you originally gave is the 357 Montado New Vaquero based on ammo compatibility alone.
Expanding your selection to a Blackhawk in 357 is a good idea for all the reasons that contender gave, but also look at the new convertible Flat Top stainless in 357 and 9mm. They are built on the mid-sized frame and appear more carefully finished than a run of the mill Blackhawk built on the large-sized frame. The new Flat Top is also the same frame size as the Montado. It just has adjustable sights and a 4 5/8 inch barrel.
You may also consider a Single Six in 22 LR and 22 Mag for your third revolver. Everyone must have a 22 for practice.
Hope this helps.

Armybrat

Buckeye
One of these will be my next NV .357:

14332_1.jpg

brentonguy85

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. Yes... I actually prefer the fixed sights. I don't really like the flat tops or adjustable sights. I know it's strange... I like the old fashioned six shooter look. Sounds like it's the Montado! I sure wish they made her in blue!!!!! :x

schloss

Single-Sixer
The 357 is incredibly versatile, and hard to go wrong with. However, the 45 is a lot of fun, too. I'd recommend a New Vaquero as they're easier to find, and I think it's balanced a lot nicer, particularly in 357. I prefer the fixed sights over adjustable, as well, although I do have a soft spot for the Blackhawks.

All that said, my 357's see more use than anything else.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
You may use sassnet.com the cowboy action shooting web as a guest.
You can go any where on the web site.
You may not initiate a new post.
You may answer any post you want, leave a message on web it will be answered to you.
You may not sell any thing.
Hope this helps, before buying ANYTHING read whats going on.
I hope you go on the new Ruger sass site to check out the new six shooters.You can also call Ruger customer service
in NH for better info on all six guns. You will get excellent info. Lee