Cleaning Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyrod40

Bearcat
I am new to revolvers and have an SP101. When I went to clean it, I could not get the black burned marks off the front of the cylinder or off the end of the barrel area using Hoppes #9 or Breakfree, my two usual cleaners. I then used a green or gray scrubbing pad and a little elbow grease. That seemed to do the trick. I want to try to maintain the clean stainless look all over the pistol if possible. Is it ok to use the scrubbing pads?
Thanks in advance

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WHY did you clean it at all !? Do you change the oil in your truck everytime after you drive it ?
MY sixguns are lucky to be cleaned every 5M rounds. I wipe 'em off after each use and put 'em away. They've NEVER failed me yet.
And so it goes...

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The blackening on the face of a cylinder is normal when shooting. Cleaning it off is something we all have to endure. Some folks don't try & get it spotless,,, but just cleaned of any buildup.
The scrubbing pads you used can be ok,,, but over time,,, could change the dimensions of the face. A lot of folks use the Scotch-Brite pads to polish SS,,, or to help remove the billboard off the side.
Some of us use the "lead-away" type cleaning cloths to remove the blackening. BUT,,, it is ONLY for stainless. It will remove blueing off blued guns!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think a scrubber pad is a little harsh to just remove powder stains. There is no reason to remove all the powder stains anyway. But I occasionally use a piece of this Kleen Bore Lead Away cloth to remove black powder stains on stainless revolvers. I have also used a small patch to remove lead and powder fowling in the bore. Do not use this on Blued guns as it will take the blueing right off. You might also want to use rubber gloves when handling the pieces of cloth. When you are done use some regular gun solvent and a rag to go over the area you cleaned. It works like magic.

hittman

Staff member
Pro-Shot Products makes a lead cleaning cloth very similar to what Jimbo posted. Don't use it on anything blued.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
A couple of cleaning products I have had success with: Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend for lead; M-Pro 7 for carbon (powder) buildup.

s4s4u

Hunter
I don't worry about it. It shows that you actually shoot your gun ;-)

I surely wouldn't use anything abrasive, you may remove more than just the carbon.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Nevr-dull , available at Wally World and most every car parts store ,removes that crud down to bright metal WITHOUT harming the gun. Use on stainless only.
You get a lifetime supply for about $7 . It looks like shredded rag cloth with a compound,liquid in it. Great stuff!

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
The gun cleaning mania shows an underlying disconnect with, and fear of, the elements of fire and brimstone that are the physical and spiritual basis of the non-socially subjugated animus of the firearm.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Those black rings will only affect functioning if they become thick enough to rub against the barrel. That's really extreme, and I've never seen it happen. I just rub them hard with a brush and Hoppe's #9 to keep them from thickening, and this every 500 to 1,000 rounds.

After a while, they just become a part of the gun's personality. I think...

schloss

Single-Sixer
I am also of the opinion that some folks over-clean their guns. I accepted the carbon ring on the cylinder face long ago, and have grown to appreciate it. I think excessive cleaning wears out a lot more guns than getting them dirty does.

I'm intentionally not cleaning an AR15 I put together a while back. Just basic wipe-downs, and a quick brushing and patching of the bore periodically. Probably well under 1k through it, but no problems so far, and running junk ammunition.

So, yes, I'm recommending against cleaning it to "as new" visual condition all the time. I think you'll ruin your investment if you do it enough. Trying to get them spotless can be a laborious process as well, and it should remain enjoyable from start to finish.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Complete waste of time.

P1010061.JPG

gunzo

Hunter
PriseDeFer said:
The gun cleaning mania shows an underlying disconnect with, and fear of, the elements of fire and brimstone that are the physical and spiritual basis of the non-socially subjugated animus of the firearm.

This is about what I was thinking :lol:

wideglide

Bearcat
Maas polish a fine brass brush and 3 minutes of time will work every time on stainless. That brass won't wear out that stainless in your or your kids lifetime.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Don't you dare! Are you trying to ruin things for us? If you cl.. I won't even say it, they'll all expect it.
Once in a long while, look at it, tell it if it did good, give it a little wipe with a soft piece of T shirt, not too much, don't
spoil it.Every couple of hundred rounds, only if needed, if the carbon around the throat gets too high and interfires
with the cal OK a bit more just to knock off the built in carbon not all of it.
Once a year or so, a shower in Breakfree, remove cyl pin, A MUST, remove grips first always.
Have fun Lee I once never touched my match rifle over 5K rounds, 9 months the bullet stop jammed with carbon and the
entire magazine full of ammo shot out all over the stage, was so funny.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
Nevr-dull , available at Wally World and most every car parts store ,removes that crud down to bright metal WITHOUT harming the gun. Use on stainless only.
You get a lifetime supply for about $7 . It looks like shredded rag cloth with a compound,liquid in it. Great stuff!

Thanks for the reminder Chuck! Used to use this stuff when i was in the Navy to clean/polish...well everything! Never occurred to me the clear guns with it.

k22fan

Blackhawk
First, cleaning off the carbon doughnuts is for salesmanship or obsessive compulsive anal personalities. That said, it can be easily done without changing the manufacturer's surface appearance with bronze wool, your favorite solvent and a little elbow grease. The various metal polishes previously mentioned and the lead-a-way cloths polish stainless bright. They reduce the value of collector guns without saving a significant amount of labor. The holy grail of collectors is and always will be originality including the surface finish. If they are maintained in their original condition all guns eventually become collectors items. It is only a matter of how long it takes. Surface appearance is part that.

Scrubbing pads like Scotch Brite pads remove metal the same as very fine sand paper. In addition to changing the surface appearance they would gradually widen the barrel cylinder gap.

A $7 bag of bronze wool pads from Ace Hardware, yachting supply stores, or Brownell's lasts for years. Since the bronze is softer than steel it does not change the surface appearance.