First Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris in Idaho

Bearcat
Picked this up on monday. I've always thought stainless double action revolvers were the nicest looking handguns ever, but for some reason I never really considered one for carry. It finally clicked for me...
This thing feels great in the hand and I think the 3" barrel looks very proportional.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Now to find a spare hammer and bob the spur...

contender

Ruger Guru
An excellent choice. We have one of those exact same ones here. Now,, remember,,, if it doesn't quite fit your hand,,, get a different set of grips. We use 4 SP-101's in our WOT clinics,,, and they all have different grips. Each person has the opportunity to find what fits THEM!

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Nice piece...gotta admit, while I'm a big fan of Ruger's SA's, their DA's have always looked clunky to me...(beauty of course lies in the eye of the beholder). But that's a good lookin' revolver my friend and in a very useful bbl. length. The only improvement would be a S&W type of adjustable sight. Best Regards, and a good choice from all indications. Rod

Yetiman

Bearcat
I love those 3" SP's.

Your title made me think about my first revolver...

My first revolver was a S&W Airweight 38 I took off a guy who tried to rob me in 1990. I could see it wasn't loaded and distracted him before kicking him in the nads and poking him in the eyes. I broke a finger doing it.

I took the gun to a police chief I knew in a near by suburb to ask him what I should do with it. It still had a serial number which he ran and nothing came back so he told me to keep it.

I still have it and carry it now and then.

The SP-101 in 3 inch barrel is what I too have and carry. A potent cartridge, that you can fire enough of at the range to be totally familiar with your self defense package.
gramps

cityslicker

Bearcat
Great gun! I have one and love it . Now go check out a simply rugged sourdough holster. In my opinion one of the best holsters for the 3 inch barrel. Also Simply Rugged people are great to deal with.

Depcon3

Bearcat
I picked up one of those 3" SP101s last Fall, it is one of the most accurate revolvers I own. The balance is perfect, and with the Hogue grips feels great in the hand.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
You have one of the best. I keep one like that in my car. I also have the 4.2" bbl model. You can't go wrong with a .357 and you can't go wrong with Ruger! Good luck!

Chris in Idaho

Bearcat
I dropped it off Saturday at a local gunsmith to bob the spur. ...yes I could have done it myself but I was afraid of it looking like a bubba hacksaw job and then I'd be stuck since ruger doesn't sell hammers.

Chris in Idaho said:
Picked this up on monday. I've always thought stainless double action revolvers were the nicest looking handguns ever, but for some reason I never really considered one for carry. It finally clicked for me...
This thing feels great in the hand and I think the 3" barrel looks very proportional.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Now to find a spare hammer and bob the spur...

That is a GREAT SP101!

I had to get a slightly different grip on mine to fit my paw...

IMAG0036_zps97cxcbm1.jpg

IMAG0037_zpsl86wplqw.jpg

Chris in Idaho

Bearcat
It looks great! Is that Hogue Rosewood Laminate? With the comfy grip and 4" barrel I bet that's a heck of a shooter.

Here's my new spurless hammer, this thing slips in and out of my pocket effortlessly now. That is except when the rubber butt bunches up some pocket material, that's where slick wood grips like DA's will come in...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

NormH3

Bearcat
I have the same SP101 3" 357. I really like how it feels and looks as well but put the Hogue rubber grips on it. I have the Fobus paddle holster for it, but wish I could find a paddle holster that covers the entire barrel.