.45 Colt +P

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Any ideas why Ruger does not recommend shooting .45 Colt +P in their .454 Casulls? I emailed the other day inquiring about a load for my Toklat, their response was basically this, the load you asked about is fine, we don't however recommend shooting .45 Colt +P in your gun.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's a liability issue. Ruger doesn't recommend ANYTHING but SAAMI spec factory loads in any of their guns.

tinman

Buckeye
........remember when you could ask a question and actually get an answer? But that was waaaaay back before the term "deep pockets" was coined by the lawyers.........

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, there is no such thing as .45 Colt +P . So how can you expect a manufacturer to 'okay' it when there is no SAAMI standard? As we say ... Your on your own. So, ask the bullet manufacturer and get what .45 Colt +P means to them, and then make an informed decision on whether you want to shoot it in the .454.

MaxP

Buckeye
+P type .45 Colt loads are almost all I shoot out of my .454 SBH at this point.

Rclark said:
Yep, there is no such thing as .45 Colt +P . So how can you expect a manufacturer to 'okay' it when there is no SAAMI standard? As we say ... Your on your own. So, ask the bullet manufacturer and get what .45 Colt +P means to them, and then make an informed decision on whether you want to shoot it in the .454.

45 Colt +P does exist. Just ask Buffalo Bore, Underwood Ammo and others. I wonder what Ruger says about the Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P loads?

Mus408

Hunter
I'm sure my hand would give out before my Alaskan blew up on a hot .45 Colt load.
Just look at the pressures you are loading your custom .45 Colt loads to and stay below what pressure .454 would be.
I enjoy 300 gr. hard cast FN bullets over 10.4 gr. of Unique

Rclark

Hunter
I'm sure my hand would give out before my Alaskan blew up on a hot .45 Colt load.
Of course. But that's not the point. As there is no SAAMI spec for .45 Colt +P, what does .45 Colt +P actually mean? Nothing. Could be 16K, , 20K, 60k as there is no standard. So you have to go to Manufacturer of ammo and find out, "Oh, this is a 28K PSI load", therefore it will run fine in my .454 (rated at SAAMI 50K CUP not sure what psi).

MaxP

Buckeye
Rclark said:
Of course. But that's not the point. As there is no SAAMI spec for .45 Colt +P, what does .45 Colt +P actually mean? Nothing. Could be 16K, , 20K, 60k as there is no standard. So you have to go to Manufacturer of ammo and find out, "Oh, this is a 28K PSI load", therefore it will run fine in my .454 (rated at SAAMI 50K CUP not sure what psi).

Most .45 Colt +P ammo I have shot has been in the 30,000 psi range -- give of take. The SAAMI spec for the .45 Colt is 14,000 psi. I know of one load in .45 Colt that is loaded hotter, but it is designated a .45 Colt RHO (Redhawk Only) +P load by Garrett. The .454 has a SAAMI maximum pressure of 65,000 psi. No one that I know of loads .45 Colt +P loads anywhere near .454 Casull level.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
One thing you all are NOT looking at is the build up at the END of the .45 Colt case and the LENTH of a .454 case.... Just load Mid - Range loads for the .454 and be done with lurker load getting into some ones light weight .45 Colt gun frame down the road.....

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I may be way off on this also but am I wrong in thinking that the 45 Colt casings are a little thin also for a +P load ?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I may be way off on this also but am I wrong in thinking that the 45 Colt casings are a little thin also for a +P load ?
Sorry for the double post. Must have been a hiccup in the internet at the time.

Rclark

Hunter
am I wrong in thinking that the 45 Colt casings are a little thin also for a +P load ?
Well, all I use is Starline, and they rate their .45 Colt brass as strong as .44Mag brass. A 'hot' load for me in .45 Colt is around 20K psi. I do believe the 'not strong' .45 Colt case is a myth, that best lies in the past with the o' balloon headed brass. Also if you read Linebaugh's Dissolving the Myth, I think he talks about using Federal brass, testing Winchester, and maybe even Remington back before there was Starline brass.

Just load Mid - Range loads for the .454 and be done
That's how I would approach it. But then I reload, so that option is open to me. I am almost 100% confident that any factory load marked .45 Colt +P would be fine in a .454 as I am sure the vendors are loading Ruger Only Loads (up to 30K).... But still, there is no SAAMI .45 Colt +P, so a shooter MUST be cognitive of 'what' he/she has in hand, and if if doesn't say on the box, a call is in order.

5of7

Hunter
Whenever one shoots hand loaded ammo in a handgun, he is pretty much on his own as far as the manufacturer is concerned.

If you are shooting a large frame Blackhawk or a Redhawk, then IN MY OPINION any loading published by a reliable source, such as one of the powder companies, will be fine. I have been shooting a load in the 4" Redhawk that produces close to 1200fps with a 275 gr. cast bullet with no pressure signs at all.

But the key is to use a little judgment and do not try to produce +P loads with faster powders. +P loads should be developed with powders like 2400, 296, H110 & others of similar burning rate. 8)

DPris

Buckeye
.45 Colt cases are sufficiently thick for loads that exceed .44 Mag energy figures.
The "thin-walled .45 Colt case" is a myth.
Denis

jstanfield103 said:

Have a look at John Linebaugh's Piece on the Myths of the 45colt

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Latest posts