OM 45 Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

veeman

Single-Sixer
Just got my new to me OM 45 Blackhawk yesterday, thought I'd show it off, and ask a silly question. First, the 45.
20160311_171436-1_zpsuuzfnyuh.jpg

20160311_171404-1_zps1w5pjrcg.jpg

The fella I bought it from thinks it was not ever fired, and I believe the ACP cylinder is in fact unfired, there is no tell tale rings on the cylinder at all. The Colt cylinder is ever so faint, maybe just factory fired? The guy said he bought the gun at an estate sale and it was in a box in pieces, he just put it together and in the safe it goes for several years. This man is known to me for many years, is one of our CAS club leaders, and an honest man, in case anyone wants to question his integrity. Anyway, the silly question.
Why would anyone do THIS to a grip frame? Seller thinks possible not original frame to the gun, but it sure matches up nice. The pic's above are with a grip frame from a 41 Mag.
45%20Colt%20008_zpsws0smcvc.jpg

Looks like someone took a center punch and had a fun filled afternoon. Is this thing even salvageable, or just find another frame? I'm thinking of getting a Super frame anyway.
Also the throats on both cylinders are undersized and will need reaming. *sigh*

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Throats are an easy fix. Personally, I'd scrap the frame with the "artistic" stippling and find a new frame. On a nice OM like that one, I'd go with the original style frame. Just my opinion of course--you should do what you want.

yes, it is "salvageable", lots draw filing and buffing and polishing, then a coat of Alumahyde from Brownells, but is easier and quicker to just find another XR-3 Red frame, they are out there.............

SATCOM

Blackhawk
veeman,

Congrats on finding the best caliber OM Ruger Blackhawk.

Ditch that grip frame, buy and save another XR3-RED and put a Ruger brass frame on it.

Floats my boat.

SATCOM

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll echo the above,,, just replace the g/f. Easy to do, and it'll greatly improve that fine OM. As for that one,,, it's a great candidate for a project gun.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nice old model gun!

That grip frame stippling used to be a "poor boy" way of improving the grip on smooth front grip strap 1911s when you could get them war surplus from DCM for $24. I've never seen it on a Ruger before. As posted above, too easy to get a replacement with a factory finish to mess with it. They usually fit quite well when swapped because they were a generic size.

street

Hunter
One thing that I noticed is that it has an older set of grips on it. They are the Black Eagle with neck feathers on it. Those grips were only made for a year or two, I think in 1966 and 67, not sure. As you know the Old Model .45 Blackhawk wasn't made till 1971. Most likely your gun needs the "squashed chickens" grips to be period correct.

veeman

Single-Sixer
Yes sir, as I said in the first post, the frame on the gun in the pic above is off a 67 41 mag. I'll get a pic of the grips that came with the gun soon.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
You could take a hammer, peen the high spots down before filing and actually remove little metal. The metal is ALL there, just pushed around. Fairly easily fixed, just time consuming. All others have said, easier to just find another frame though

veeman

Single-Sixer
Sorry to drag this up again, thought I'd show the work I did on the grip frame. About 25 minutes with a dremel with various sanding bits and polisher. I know its not perfect, but good nuff for this shooter.
gripe%20frame_zps0itflfs8.jpg

That's great. And you lost nothing in the process as that grip frame was pretty well "trashed" for anyone wanting original stuff anyway. It's still "not original" but now it suits you and with a little paint or some other refinish it'll be just fine. Or you could just fine-polish the entire grip frame and use it that way if you like. Win-win.

:) :) :)