Hog Scope Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

certified angus

Bearcat
Disclaimer: have never hunted hogs.

I would imagine that a red dot, such as the Ultra Dot, or a holographic type scope would be best, for quick target acquisition, although a low power scope would probably be just as effective. I have had (and still have) an Ultra Dot on my Super Redhawk , and also for a time had a Swift scope (not sure, but think it was a 2 or a 4 power). For me, the dot doesn't wobble around as much as the reticle did in the scope.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I hunt Hogs with a short barreled .30-06 and use a busnell trophy xlt in 1.5-6x42. It's perfect for shots between 25 and 300 yards on Hog's. German #4 reticle works great too. Also have the Nikon version of the same scope on .308 BAR. Wide field of view and great for fast, close shots on running hogs. Bushnell makes the red dot version of that scope, but it costs a bit more. On my .300 win mag semi-auto, I have a Leupold VX-6 in 2-12x44. It's a great all purpose scope, but pricey.

contender

Ruger Guru
You didn't say what kind of conditions you'd be hunting in.
Over bait from a stand? Thick woods? Open areas? Hogs roaming or moving? Swamps? Run with dogs? short range or long range? Rifle, handgun or shotgun?

All these things have bearing on what may work the best.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
A lot would depend on the caliber and type of weapon, also on the terrain hunted. In my area (coastal Texas) thick brush limits the distance we can normally shoot at either hogs or deer, but hogs can be more easily lured to close range at feeders. Many of my hogs are killed at 25 yards, few at over 50. I like and use red dots, but a 2x scope is just as "fast" for me. I don't use a scope necessarily for magnification, but for a surer aim. I have shot hogs with .30-06 and .300 Win Mag, many more with a .300 Savage - but a .44 mag pushing a 300 -335 gr hard cast bullet at 1000 fps or so is my favorite hog combination for my type of hunting, in my area. Most of my scopes are variables which usually stay in the lowest power position, but I do have a 2X fixed power Weaver on a Super Blackhawk Hunter that I like a lot.

s4s4u

Hunter
Is your revolver a Ruger with the integral scope mounting system? I prefer a red dot on my revolvers, and specifically Ultradot. The UltraDot 25 will fit within the existing Ruger ringmount system and 1" rings and would be my choice for distances up to 100 yards or so. Scopes can take longer to get on target and too much magnification can hinder in the dense woods.

If you do get a scope for your handgun, I would recommend no more than 2x. I have 2 Leupold scopes, a 4x and 2x, and the 4x is is pretty particular to to eye alignment, so quick shots are more difficult.

MaxP

Buckeye
I really like the Ultradot 30. Fits perfectly between the Ruger rings on an SRH.

DSC04048.jpg