Hog Scope Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
lfpiii said:
Looking for a new scope for hog hunting. What should I get?

Is your revolver a Ruger with the integral scope mounting system? I prefer a red dot on my revolvers, and specifically Ultradot. The UltraDot 25 will fit within the existing Ruger ringmount system and 1" rings and would be my choice for distances up to 100 yards or so. Scopes can take longer to get on target and too much magnification can hinder in the dense woods.

5of7

Hunter
I haven't hunted hogs, but I have a gun set up for the task, should the opportunity arise. It is a Number 1 Ruger in 45/70 with a receiver sight on it with one of those hi-viz orange front sights. My plan would be to shoot running hogs like I would a skeet gun, but for standing shots the receiver sight will keep my shots in a group of about 3" at 100 yds.

The load is a 405 gr. Remington flat point over 35 grs. of 5744 which produced right at 1500 fps. The recoil is manageable and the load should be a great plenty for any hog under 800 lbs. 8)

mikewriter

Blackhawk
Just a note or two on hogs - where I hunt, a "running shot" at a hog will have a very limited window of opportunity - hogs are rarely far from thick brush, and will dive into it as soon as they feel threatened. Also, there will be very few shots at hogs near 800 pounds, as a really BIG feral hog will not often be over 300 pounds.

Hogs can take a lot of killing, but a .44 mag is about the best choice in either a long gun or handgun I've found for all around use. As a kid, I killed a lot of woods with a .22 LR (in the woods, not in a pen), and as an adult I've used cartridges up to .300 Win Mag. My real favorite is my .300 Savage.

Back to scopes - low magnification and wide field of view are your friends for hunting in the brush at close ranges. A variable with a high end of 6 - 9 power is more than enough for any longer shots that might arise. Again, the various red dots are very good for this use, especially on handgun (although I have one on my wife's 20 gauge shotgun as well).