LCR, which to purchase?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lakesider-NY

Bearcat
Have a few Rugers in the stable (long & short) and last week at my LGS I got my hands on a LCR .38. To be blunt I liked it, felt good in my hand and the trigger pull was rather decent. Going to pick your brains on here and see what you have to say about which model LCR, IF YOU WERE BUYING would you get. Price not a consideration.

As for me I like the .38, but the .357 does make it available to take more ammo choices if there is some sort of problem getting ammo. :roll: Then again I have heard good things about the .327 which at the present I have no guns that fire that caliber. The Lazar option?

I now pocket carry a .380 S&W bodyguard and am debating about replacing it with one of the J frame Smithes I already have or perhaps this LCR if it works out. FYI this class of guns is just for casual use, going more in harm/city's way I have a .45 Semi carried in IWB for those occasions

What say you!

joemsj51

Bearcat
The .357 LCR is a bit heavier than the .38 special. So are you pocketing this new gun, or carrying it near your hip?

In your mention of the .327, I've been bouncing around getting my wife a conceal-carry. Yesterday I fell upon the Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP. So be sure to rule-out ant 32-cal semi-auto pistol first. Because if you ever get your hands on the Tomcat and see it's pop-up barrel feature, you'll like it too. Never have to rack the slide with the Tomcat.

I wanted a sub-compact revolver next also,,,,, mainly for the wife. Now I'm not-so-sure it'll be a revolver. Yesterday at the range, the range owner was showing someone sub-compact revolvers. He stated he sells (5) 642 S&W Airweights to every (1) Ruger LCR. I ruled-out the Airweight weeks ago from my list. I prefer the lighter model Ruger. But you may not and the LCR .357 is about the same weight as the S&W 642 Airweight.

I am a pocket-carry guy and my wife wants lightweight, for her purse already weighs a ton....lol :)

lakesider-NY

Bearcat
joemsj51 said:
The .357 LCR is a bit heavier than the .38 special. So are you pocketing this new gun, or carrying it near your hip?

In your mention of the .327, I've been bouncing around getting my wife a conceal-carry. Yesterday I fell upon the Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP. So be sure to rule-out ant 32-cal semi-auto pistol first. Because if you ever get your hands on the Tomcat and see it's pop-up barrel feature, you'll like it too. Never have to rack the slide with the Tomcat.

I wanted a sub-compact revolver next also,,,,, mainly for the wife. Now I'm not-so-sure it'll be a revolver. Yesterday at the range, the range owner was showing someone sub-compact revolvers. He stated he sells (5) 642 S&W Airweights to every (1) Ruger LCR. I ruled-out the Airweight weeks ago from my list. I prefer the lighter model Ruger. But you may not and the LCR .357 is about the same weight as the S&W 642 Airweight.

I am a pocket-carry guy and my wife wants lightweight, for her purse already weighs a ton....lol :)

If LCR carried most times would be in a pocket. At various times I have pocketed a Model 60, 642 and Dick Special and of course the bodyguard. Pocket is perfect for as I stated casual going out. Other situations the big .45.

I have been legally CCW since 1972, as I used to live in a upstate city and interesting things could occur there.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I started with the 38 LCR and now carry the 38 LCRx. I've pocket carried both. For some reason I just prefer a revolver with an exposed hammer - but I still have the LCR. Either revolver would be dandy for pocket carry.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the forum,,, both of y'all.

Ok, my wife has been one of the top ladies in the country for about 15 years in teaching the NRA Women On Target clinics. We have taught hundreds of ladies to shoot. but the info we teach applies to each & every gun owner.

Physics; Lighter guns,,, equal more felt recoil. Some of that can be abated by getting a good set of grips that (a) fit the hand, (VERY important,) and (b) made of a recoil absorbing material.
Heavier guns,,, less felt recoil. Yet,,, even those guns NEED proper fitting grips.

Caliber; It needs to be in a caliber that has readily available ammo, and preferably many different types available. A good self defense ammo should be carried daily.

How it's carried; Men have many options that ladies do not. Ladies wear their clothing differently, and are built differently. That presents problems for the ladies in that the industry has been (finally) addressing. But still, it's not a "one size fits all" answer. For ladies, a purse is an option,,, yet realize this; A purse is the target for a thief, and it's an off the body carry method. NOT a good thing if it's needed. One excellent option we've found,,, especially for the ladies is kinda like underwear. Look into "UnderTech Undercover" clothing. So far,,, it's proving to be one of the best, especially for ladies.

Lastly, the type of firearm. If you are subject to a being a victim in a crime, and NEED a firearm,, you will be under stress. Unless you have developed automated skills in the operation of your firearm, AND can operate it one handed, you need to keep they type of firearm to one that is the simplest to use. A semi-auto has a magazine that can get released accidentally. The racking of a slide can be hard, especially if you need to do so one handed. And lastly, if fired from inside a pocket, a purse, or next to the body, the slide operation can get hampered to where you have a jam. Try clearing a jam, one handed, with your NON-dominant hand, all while under stress.
Many people think they are prepared when they just buy a firearm, shoot it a little at the range, (while standing upright, two handed, at a paper target.) I compare this to getting your drivers license after just learning how to crank the car & driving it around a parking lot. Immediately throw a driver like that in rush hour, with hundreds of crazy drivers. This example is why I stress a lot of practice, especially to the point of developing skills that make the operation of your firearm an automated response.
Unfortunately,,, most people, especially ladies, will not become that familiar with their firearms. This is why we try & recommend the simplest operating firearm they can get. USUALLY a DA revolver.

All this info is given to allow you to think & make an educated decision. The OP has asked about the LCR,, and I have one we use in our classes. AN excellent choice,,, IF it meets your needs.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I have a 357mag LCR. The LCR-327FM is tempting, but I wouldn't carry it, favoring the 357M. The 9mm might make sense for many others - I favor the 357mag. Lots of guys cherry pick loads, but in reality, comparing the top end, the 357mag still outpaces the 9mm in a snubnose.

I got an LCR-38 for my MIL, it recoils a bit more, it's noticeable when fired side by side, but it's not like one is unshootable and the other is a pop gun. The difference is noticeable, but unsubstantial.

The LCR-22LR could make sense as a practice piece to save ammo cost with a .38 or .357mag being carried, but not like 38spcl is that expensive anyway, and the trigger is heavier. The 22mag LCR makes absolutely no sense to me.

So my choice is .357mag. 38spcl and 9mm are very reasonable choices. 22LR only as a practice piece to accompany another more powerful model. The 22WMR version, no go in my book.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
Well I have 2. The LCRx 3" and the LCR in 327FM. I actually carry the 327 more than my S&W642 now. One extra round and I'm comfortable with the 327 as a defensive cartridge. 357mag out of these little guns is hard for me to get consistent follow up shots. If you go with the 357 LCR it adds a little weight so would recoil less with 38spl than the 38spl LCR.

I have 4 of the LCR's. Two are short barrel 38's, one being an X model with hammer, other without. On the hip both carry great, but in the pocket the hammerless one is better (for me). Even as low a profile as the hammer is on the X model, it catches when drawing from my pocket. I have the 3" X model with adj. sights and carry it in the timber on my waist. My wife likes my 22 LCR.

I'd vote for the 327 simply based on ballastics. To me anyway, the 327 has less recoil and report than 357. Ammo is available. If you have a place to rent guns give the 327 an honest evaluation.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
I'd vote for the 327 simply based on ballistics. To me anyway, the 327 has less recoil and report than 357. Ammo is available. If you have a place to rent guns give the 327 an honest evaluation.
Me, too. I have one and and six rounds of .327 Fed Mag with its near .357 power is better than five in either .357/38.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I'd go with the 38spl no hammer.
The LCRx with the hammer is a nice feature for the range but of little use in a self defense situation. Hammer can get hung up on clothing.

I have a S&W Model 60. I carry it sometimes but find the hammer can get snagged when drawing it for live fire practice. My wife has a S&W 642 that is more pleasurable to carry and with Hogue grips, it is easy to shoot. My daily carry is a Shield 9mm. I'm picking up a Ruger LCR or another S&W 642 for my personal carry.

I like the semi but for the reasons contender stated, the semi auto isn't really my first choice for personal daily carry.

I grew up shooting 1911's and Hi Powers and am 100% comfortable with the platform. But under duress, a revolver's simplicity is comforting.

Jeff

hittman

Staff member
I carry a 38 LCR and have also owned the 357 LCR. Both are excellent guns but for some reason the 38 had a better trigger. Sold the 357 to my son because the 38 is lighter.

Never had the 327 but don't need another caliber.

lakesider-NY

Bearcat
Thanks again for all the reply's. I'm leaning toward the basic .38 but will continue to check out my options.

I'm a long time shooter and not recoil sensitive. The little .327 sounds nice but I already have a bunch of different calibers.

Just by coincidence yesterday I found a cherry Colt Cobra .38 2'' for sale at a price I can live with. :D

If this gun checks out OK (when I see it in person) and we can come to terms my LCR purchase may be put off for a little while.

Again thanks to all that replied! 8)

rico567

Bearcat
I have had a CCL for about two weeks, although I've been engaged in the shooting sports for over 60 years. I decided to start with pocket carry, and to get the lightest weight gun possible in a self-defense chambering, along with a DAO revolver for ultimate simplicity were the criteria. The LCR is known for a very nice DA trigger, and loaded with 5 x 158 gr. +P loads the gun weighs 15 3/4 oz.
I bought the original LCR in .38 Special +P. I was not going to consider any of the other calibers because I already own guns in and reload for .38 Special. I already owned a J-frame, but even an all-steel snubby is too heavy for me. The .357 is out; I would add 4 ounces of weight un a gun that is almost universally reviewed as extremely unpleasant to shoot in .357. And if I'm going to just shoot .38 for the most part, we're right back to the weight issue.
So far, I've shot around 200-250 rounds through the gun. I added a Hi-Viz front sight and a DeSantis Nemesis holster. My preferred carry load is Gold Dot. Everything seems to be coming together.

s4s4u

Hunter
I waited until they came out with an exposed hammer before I took the LCR plunge. I really like my LCRx, but it can be a little snappy with 158 grain +P offerings. It was no fun shooting for more than a few cylinders for me and my daughter didn't care for it at all. I now handload a 125 to a point halfway between 38 special and +P and she finds it manageable, yet there is still plenty of punch to get the intended job done. A standard factory 38 Special loading is quite sufficient in a typical close range self defense situation, IMO.

Barkis

Bearcat
I agree with s4s4u. I have an LCR 38+P. It is very snappy with +P ammo. I have found, however, that the more I practice with it, the less the recoil bothers me. I'm also starting to like the gun much more, whereas initially I wondered what kind of beast I had purchased.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
I have a pair of LCR 38's for their KISS factor.
Ive never found the added blast/flash/recoil of 357 out of a snub to have any measurable practical advantage over a solid 38 Special load. Nor do I ever see the need for a SA action being needed in 99.999% of SD situations, but the LCR has a 'stageable' trigger that brings it close enough to SA for that 0.001% chance.