Ruger .327 Federal Ruger LCR ammo options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joemsj51

Bearcat
Ammo options for the .327 caliber are S&W, H&RMag and Auto.

If I purchase the Ruger LCR, can my wife defend herself with all of these three ammo options above. She's recoil-sensitive and would prefer something like the 85-95 grain .327 Auto ammo. I'm already aware that the LCR accepts the H&RMag and S&W ammo BTW. I just need to know if she could shoot the Auto ammo regularly and keep it pursed that way.

dougader

Hunter
32 auto is a semi-rimmed cartridge and "can be used in a pinch," although accuracy may be marginal.

You can shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, 32 HRM, 32 auto and 327 Fed mag. For defense I wouldn't go below the 32 HRM ammo, or as you suggest the low recoil option in 327. You can certainly go from light to heavy with the range of ammo available.

32magfan

Blackhawk
Hornady makes an 80 gr. Critical Defense round in 32 H&R Mag. I have shot it as well as the 100gr Gold Dot in 327 in my LCR. The 80 gr. Load is quite mild compared to the 327s. I would suggest starting with 32S&W Long rounds for practice and work into the stronger rounds.

Thanks,

32Magfan

DGW1949

Hunter
It's a rule; the lighter the gun, the harder it kicks.
If your wife is recoil sensitive, she really shouldn't be given a fly-weight revolver to use, particularly one in a magnum chambering......but I suspect that you kinda knew that already.

On the other hand, a S&W Model 36 seems to suit a lot of ladies rather well, and a non+P .38 beats the heck out of a non-magnum .32 any day.....

Just sayin'.

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
Could get the 357 mag LCR and shoot 38's in it. The added weight would help with recoil.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Thanks to those that replied.
Now in finding out the lightweight ammo in .32 Auto is not suited for the 32 revolver, she's changing gears to semi-auto pistols like the Beretta Tomcat and the Keltec P32. I have the LCP 380 and that recoil scares her. She wants small, light and recoil-friendly, hoping not to fall under 32 caliber.

I am going to pick up a couple boxes of the Ruger ARX ammo in 56 grain for my Ruger LCP.380. She may not fear that load in my LCP.
To be continued... for sure!

dougader

Hunter
I'd rather have a 32 H&R mag than a 32 auto Keltec or Tomcat. It's not going to scare her with recoil or muzzle blast. She can practice with light 32 S&W/32 S&W Long, or even 32 auto in a revolver as it's semi-rimmed, and work her way up to 32 H&R Mag. Down the road, if she builds up experience and gets used to more powerful ammo, she's got the option to use 327 Federal mag. And all of that in one gun.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
OP, your questions here raise a lot more questions.

First, does your wife plan to carry a gun in her purse? Big mistake, IMHO. Most women can't find anything in their purse even when they're not under stress. Given that, how are they ever gonna find it when they're confronted with a life and death threat? Perhaps she needs to think seriously about a holster.

Second, when you talk about her being recoil sensitive, how much shooting experience does she actually have? Has she tried shooting rimfires, or other really light recoiling guns first?

Also, going back to real life and death threats. If we're actually confronted with a threat, how important, if at all, is recoil at that point?

I think revolvers are excellent choices for many people, men and women, who are new to carrying for self defense. Ruger LCR's and S&W j frames are pretty much fool proof. No safeties or slides to worry about. Very unlikely to "go off" unintentionally. Jams are rare as hens teeth. Just pull the trigger five times.

Get some mild .38 special loads for practice, and some good +P's for carry.

joemsj51

Bearcat
She won't work her way up to 32 H&R Mag and she will only limp-wrist any +p ammo. Accuracy is #1 with everyone here.
Secondly, If it's not somewhat comfortable to shoot, she will decline taking the CCW/CPL course.

The 32 Beretta is sweet. No slides to rack. Got a tip-up barrel for chambering the first shot. It's small, comfortable to hold and recoil-friendlier than any other I'm aware of. 70-80gr ammo should give her the confidence she needs.

I wanted her to wear a revolver. Will get her to test 1-2 at the range in the coming month or-two, prior to a pistol purchase. Who knows.... she may come-around and adapt to something a little more snappy at ignition. I'll update this thread someday, when she picks out her new handgun.