ZQI AMMO IN LCR 9MM?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i just got a lcr 9mm a little over a month ago, i have been using freedom munitions in it with great results. i have found some of this zqi 123 grain nato ammo. is this too hot for the little lcr or would it be ok? thanks

pisgah

Buckeye
boomer92266 said:
i just got a lcr 9mm a little over a month ago, i have been using freedom munitions in it with great results. i have found some of this zqi 123 grain nato ammo. is this too hot for the little lcr or would it be ok? thanks

Going by the owner's manual, I would say your answer would be, "Maybe, maybe not." Essentially, the manual points out that all 9mm is not loaded the same, and that loads not meeting SAAMI standards should not be used. But then, it goes on to say that pierced primers are the sign to look for, and if you experience pierced primers you should discontinue use of that ammo immediately.

DGW1949

Hunter
Winchester says that their 9MM NATO ammunition is loaded to a 10% higher pressure than SAAMI specs for a "regular" 9MM round, which puts it right up there into +P territory.
Assuming that ZQI's advertised specs are right, their version looks to be loaded even hotter.

Point is, your owners manual should tell you whether or not it is OK to use high pressure ammo your gun. If it don't, you might give some thought to contacting Ruger directly.

DGW

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Here's a good discussion from The Original CZ Forum on pressures which might shed some light on the subject. Note especially the box markings which you may find that could help in making your decisions on what to shoot: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14691.0

Rick C