xtra moon clips??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
how many xtra moon clips do ya'll have?, i carry 3 with me for my 9mm lcr 1 in gun and 2 backups. i also have 15 xtra put up in case i bend or break any, i feel like thats enough but wonder. so how many do ya'll have on hand? thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I only own 3 guns that take moons, or half moons. I have an older Speed-Six that takes the half moons, & I own about 35 or so of them. Never really counted them.
But for my other two guns,,, both S&W's, I have a fair number. My model 25-2 is occasionally used in competition, so I need plenty there, & I have over 40 moons for it. And my main competition S&W is a 646 in .40 S&W, and I have over 50 moons for it. My reasoning is competition & less time spent de-mooning & re-mooning my ammo at a match.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I keep a large number of moon clips (of various types) around for my S&W 45 ACP revolvers. I'm sure I have well over a hundred that I've collected over the past 45 years. I also have a box filled with moon clip loading and unloading tools.

For the LCR 9mm I have a total of 12. That's enough for me to take 50 rounds to the range for a shooting session. I have the same number for my Redhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I only own one gun that uses moon clips, the new RedHawk .45 Colt/ACP.
I have a dozen moon clips for it and they will last me forever as much as I shoot it.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I have about 35 or 40 of them.

I like to be able to go to the range with up to 150 rounds ready to go to save time at the range.

tinman

Buckeye
12 for the RH, but I need to pick up a few more...........thanks for the reminder. 8)

HEADKNOCKER

Bearcat
When I had a couple S&W 940s & a pair of SP101 9mms I had some 75 TK Moon clips & as others have said being able to pre load them & have them for range use was amazing, Also once shot I could just toss them in my range bag & worry about demooning & saving the brass when I was at home..
Like an Idiot I sold those revolvers at a great price increase when the economy had me over a barrel & was unemployed..

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Over 100 for my M625 .45ACP.

Only 25 for my M627 .357 (but I only shoot .38 Short Colt in it.)

Both are used virtually only in competition (USPSA, ICORE, steel plates, bowling pins.)

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
Must have dozens of them floating around. They are cheap.

with my 18 total, i still think i need a few more but to me they ain't cheap. $5+ a clip runs into more money than i can handle at this time with them being sold 3 to a set. i've heard other clips are cheaper than rugers but rugers are so easy to load and unload. thanks

boomer92266 said:
Jeepnik said:
Must have dozens of them floating around. They are cheap.

with my 18 total, i still think i need a few more but to me they ain't cheap. $5+ a clip runs into more money than i can handle at this time with them being sold 3 to a set. i've heard other clips are cheaper than rugers but rugers are so easy to load and unload. thanks

Get moon and demoon tools. They make things much easier and you can use the less expensive clips.