Blackhawk flattop .357/9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I ordered a new Blackhawk from my lgs. The convertible model Blackhawk, blue with a 5 1/2" barrel. I'm hoping it gets here by mid-week. If anyone else has one of these, I'd love to hear about your experience with it.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I picked up the 45 convertible with the 5-1/2" barrel a few years back. Great performer. I've heard that the 9mm performance isn't so great, but can't say by experience. Even if you don't use the 9mm cylinder, you still have the 38spl versatility. But, 9mm would also be good for shooting really cheap ammo.

If this is your first Blackhawk, you'll quickly find that they're built like tanks, and are tons of fun to experiment with. I prefer the stock wood grips to the black plastic ones. It's a good idea to strip it completely and get all the internals cleaned up good. There's always a lot of grit and debris stuck in there.

What area of NE Wisconsin are you at? I grew up west of Eau Claire.

57springer

Buckeye
I bought one last summer , I got it for the 9mm cyl. so cheap to shoot . I have 4 blackhawks and this is my fav. Good choice !!

Blaze

Bearcat
Also purchased (won) a Ruger BH Flattop 357/9mm with 4 5/8" barrel. My favorite open carry (hunting/woods walking) revolver. Use mostly 38 spl +p and the very inexpensive 9mm (less than $10.00 for 50 at my Walmart). Great revolver, I think you'll enjoy yours.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have the .45 flattop it is awesome. Only complaint is minor, the grip is a little narrow.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Well, I need to figure out how to post pictures here. I picked up my new Blackhawk, and I've been to the range with it twice. So far I'm very happy. This thing is very enjoyable to shoot.

I shot a box of .38 specials, and a few .357 magnums, but I suspect I will be using the 9mm cylinder a lot. It seems to be accurate with 9mm, and even the cheapest .38 special ammo is about twice the price of 9mm.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
115's are accurate @10 yards in mine. 25 yards not good at all. I may be expecting too much. Next time I go to the range I'm going to see how 147's fare. The longer bearing surface may help.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
phone jack.... by all means try 147 grain bullets in your Blackhawk 9mm cylinder----and report your result!
David Bradshaw

ditto1958

Blackhawk
David Bradshaw said:
phone jack.... by all means try 147 grain bullets in your Blackhawk 9mm cylinder----and report your result!
David Bradshaw

Those are not very common in stores around here. I may have to order some. I agree- be interesting to try them.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Time for an update. This doggone Blackhawk has become my new current favorite gun to shoot. It is almost addictive, particularly when it comes to inexpensive 9mm range ammo. In fact, with both .38 special and .357 magnum ammo costing about $20 or more per box, even for the "cheap" stuff, I've been using the 9mm cylinder almost exclusively.

Accuracy? Shooting from a bench, I can hit a steel gong at 100 yards about 50% of the time. At 25 yards, I can hit clay pigeons pretty easily. Basically, it's plenty accurate. I just need to do my part, and the Blackhawk will do the job.

tinman

Buckeye
Bought a 4 5/8" BH convertible in Sept. of last year from a member here......thanks again Mike. Handles any of the 3 caliber choices well and just had a cross draw holster made for it. Great gun. Oh yeah, my girlfriend likes it also.... 8)

ditto1958

Blackhawk
tinman said:
Bought a 4 5/8" BH convertible in Sept. of last year.... Oh yeah, my girlfriend likes it also.... 8)

Whoa there! You may have to get her one of her own, or you may lose yours! :)

tinman

Buckeye
ditto1958 said:
tinman said:
Bought a 4 5/8" BH convertible in Sept. of last year.... Oh yeah, my girlfriend likes it also.... 8)

Whoa there! You may have to get her one of her own, or you may lose yours! :)

Already in the works. As soon as I can swing it, I will be getting her a Rossi M92 in 38/357 to go with this BH.
I will be getting a 45/45 BH convertible, to go with the Rossi 92 chambered in .45 Colt, that I already have.
Now I just have to find a bigger house.............. :wink:

tinman

Buckeye
Pistolero said:
tinman said:
Bought a 4 5/8" BH convertible in Sept. of last year from a member here......thanks again Mike. Handles any of the 3 caliber choices well and just had a cross draw holster made for it. Great gun. Oh yeah, my girlfriend likes it also.... 8)
That Blackhawk found a great owner!

You are too kind....... :)

He Dog

Bearcat
Recently bought one and then sent it to Ruger and had it converted to Bisley grip and hammer. It has pretty much become my go to carry gun wandering around in the desert. Waiting patiently to have a holster made for it, that will double for carrying Vaqueros.