Redhawk 4 or 5-1/2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Some of you might remember I had been choosing a gun for hog hunting. I picked the Super Redhawk. Now I was thinking of changing my back up from a Blackhawk to a Redhawk. The question is should I go with the shorter 4 inch or the better balanced 5-1/2. Thanks for the help.

tinman

Buckeye
Sorta depends on you. If you think one is better balanced for you.... then you have already made your decision. 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
I've never really found a little more barrel length adding to any difficuly in carrying. Being a backup I would want the one that I could get on target the quickest and hit what I'm aiming at.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I prefer the 5.5". When the 4" gun became available I could not wait to own one. I thought it would be the perfect packable power house. What I found was that it was only slightly, and not really noticeably lighter than my 5.5". It was no easier to carry and as you stated the longer gun balances better in my hand. I also found the recoil of the 4" to be sharper and harder to control.

Dan

s4s4u said:
I've never really found a little more barrel length adding to any difficuly in carrying. Being a backup I would want the one that I could get on target the quickest and hit what I'm aiming at.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like the 4" my son has a 5.5" but I've mostly carried a SBH over the years because I know when it comes out my sights are right there and I trust that gun more than any other to hit quickly. No adjustment, no nothing, hammer comes back bullet's on the way. That's the one you pick if you are using it for defense.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
I have a 4 inch Redhawk in .41 magnum. To me it feels better balanced than 5.5 inch Redhawks. I think if your primary hunting revolver has a long barrel, it makes more sense for the backup to have short barrel.

DPris

Buckeye
I paid for a pair of 4-inchers before Ruger made 4-inchers & don't regret it at all.
I do find they carry easier in vehicles, which is important to me, and to me they balance better.
Denis

trapperon

Blackhawk
I am a fan of the 5.5 incher. I too was anxious and purchased one of the first 4 inchers that hit my dealer, but after shooting and carrying both I pick the 5.5 every time. I think it looks and feels more balanced than the 4. Just my opinion!

Ron

I have a 4 inch RedHawk. It will draw quicker than a longer barreled gun, when seconds count. Plus every ounce of weight saved, is that much more comfortable over a whole days worth of carrying. IMO
gramps

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Thanks all. I told my dealer of my dilema and he ordered both. Who knows I might end up with both.

5of7

Hunter
For me, I prefer the 5-1/2" over the 7-1/2" hands down.

I have the Redhawks both super and regular in lengths of 2-1/2", 4.2", 5-1/2" and 7-1/2, and find the 5-1/2" to be the best in the overall.

But for some reason, I still am attracted to a big bore in a short barrel configuration (the Alaskan). Kinda like a pretty girl with big feet.

Don't ask me why, something in my genetic makeup, I 'spose. 8)

stevelutah

Bearcat
Well I have both. I like both. For pure accracy I shoot the 5.5 a little better. Groups at 25 feet are a few inches tighter. Recoil is noticably lower in the 5.5. Muzzle flip is less in 4. To me I like the feel and balance of the 4. As for packability half the time my 4 inch is in a holster I bought for the 5.5. In fact I have been debating a simply rugged in 4 vs 5.5. Go figure. Buy both heck it is only paper money. I figure it will be worth more in the future anyway. That logic works with the wife.

pisgah

Buckeye
This is one of those choices that is so subjective it hardly makes sense to ask opinions. Personally, in the sort of role you describe I would go with the longer version; but I sure won't tell anyone who chooses the shorter one they are wrong.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I like the difference in the barrel lengths. I one in all three lengths. 4.2" 45Colt/45acp, 5.5" in .357 Mag and 7.5" in 44 Mag. Just get one in all three Lengths. :)

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I have both. The 4 inch is easier to carry and especially to sit down with it on. The 5.5 inch gets more velocity with the same loads, hence, better ballistics, aims better, and is easier to shoot with less muzzle flip.